Old school Stirling Mk III

Back in April 2020 I started building an old tool Airfix Stirling Mk III.  Progress was made for a number of months and then I lost interest.  Interest rekindled, work restarted in Dec 22 and I finally think it's finished.

Aftermarket was restricted to some etch intended for the Italeri beast, DK decals and some internet-purchased Paragon engines and coals intended for a Lanc Mk II.

I also used parts from the new tool Airfix Lanc to improve the kit turrets.  

Apart from that, the major ingredients were filler, sprue goop and styrene sheet n' rod.

Build thread here: 

Excuse the cr*ppy glamour shots.

2022-05-07_12-35-01

2022-05-07_12-35-12

2022-05-07_12-34-33

2022-05-07_12-36-05

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Back in April 2020 I started building an old tool Airfix Stirling Mk III.  Progress was made for a number of months and then I lost interest.  Interest rekindled, work restarted in Dec 22 and I finally think it's finished.

Aftermarket was restricted to some etch intended for the Italeri beast, DK decals and some internet-purchased Paragon engines and coals intended for a Lanc Mk II.

I also used parts from the new tool Airfix Lanc to improve the kit turrets.  

Apart from that, the major ingredients were filler, sprue goop and styrene sheet n' rod.

Build thread here: 

Excuse the cr*ppy glamour shots.

2022-05-07_12-35-01

2022-05-07_12-35-12

2022-05-07_12-34-33

2022-05-07_12-36-05

Well done.

Alain

1 minute ago, keith in the uk said:

Very nice indeed , i will be building one of theses soon as i have finished my Halifax and yours has inspired me to get cracking. :goodjob:

Thanks, Keith.

Great Stirling. I remember building one as a lad - many years ago; probably when they first came out.

If I was a time traveller like your good self I could go back and retrieve it for display here!

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Paul Alan Bardell said:

That's a very good looking Stirling -  great work.

B R

:poppy:

Thanks, Paul.

Sterling work! (C’mon, somebody had to…)

You have hauled that old kit up a good many notches with all the improvements and fine modelling, and kudos for finishing something so big and complicated too. 

So, what’s next??

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Sterling work! (C’mon, somebody had to…)

You have hauled that old kit up a good many notches with all the improvements and fine modelling, and kudos for finishing something so big and complicated too. 

So, what’s next??

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks, Adrian.

I should really finish my Matchbox A-20 for the gb, but I've lost interest.  I fancy something oob.  Airfix Tempest?  Sword Tarpon?  Tamiya He 219?  Got to get my mojo back for starting my Airfix Sunderland!

Tell me: what did you think of the book?

Rgds

Martin

Excellent work!👏

As a fighter nut, the prospect of building a heavy bomber fills me with dread! All those engines and the fiddly undercarriage......I feel queasy just thinking about it!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mike romeo said:

Tell me: what did you think of the book?

I'm finding it a bit dry TBH but interesting nonetheless. It very much shows its origins as a PhD thesis.

Regards,

Adrian

(And apologies for making the Sterling joke twice - once in WIP too)

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Martin - great to see what you've managed to achieve with this old kit,

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I'm finding it a bit dry TBH but interesting nonetheless. It very much shows its origins as a PhD thesis.

Regards,

Adrian

(And apologies for making the Sterling joke twice - once in WIP too)

Yep.  Wasn't too interested in the pre-1930 bit.  I thought the quest for fighter speed and firepower chapters, together with the bombers to attack Germany one, were good.  I also thought that better use of illustrations (eg how the various fighter specs. linked together chronologically, tables of Air Staff organisation, etc.) could have added clarity.

Rgds

Martin

3 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Lovely work Martin - great to see what you've managed to achieve with this old kit,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks  Roger.

2 hours ago, Hairy Stickler said:

Excellent work!👏

As a fighter nut, the prospect of building a heavy bomber fills me with dread! All those engines and the fiddly undercarriage......I feel queasy just thinking about it!

Thanks, HS!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, echen said:

Great Stirling. I remember building one as a lad - many years ago; probably when they first came out.

If I was a time traveller like your good self I could go back and retrieve it for display here!

Thanks, Echen.

2 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Great looking Stirling Mike, The detail you put into the cockpit was very impressive.

Colin🙂

Thanks, Colin.

2 hours ago, Wulfman said:

Great build on the old Airfix, long live “old school “ !

Wulfman

Thanks, Wulfman.

2 hours ago, 12jaguar said:

Very nice Stirling, a great credit to the old girl 

John

Thanks, John.

Lovely job on a less than perfect kit. The extra attention to details has paid off.

Wasn't "Jolly Roger" one of the 100 Group aircraft? Seem to recall seeing a profile of her at some point in the past and she had acquired a few extra aerials.

Regards

Pete

27 minutes ago, Pete Robin said:

Lovely job on a less than perfect kit. The extra attention to details has paid off.

Wasn't "Jolly Roger" one of the 100 Group aircraft? Seem to recall seeing a profile of her at some point in the past and she had acquired a few extra aerials.

Regards

Pete

Thanks, Pete.

In answer to your question, yes she was.  199 Sqn.  I have added 8 Mandrel aerials on the underside in the appropriate locations (taken from information in Streetly's book on 100Gp).  I have also added a Window dispenser.

Rgds

Martin