1/48 Hasegawa EA-18G Growler - RAAF 6 Squadron late 2010's

The following images are of my just finished Hasegawa 1/48 Growler completed in RAAF markings. Paints are a combination of MRP (mostly), AK Real Color and Gunze Mr Color. Weathering with oil paints. Quinta cockpit. Reskit jet exhaust and wheels. Eduard Brassin for the ALQ pods, AGM-88 and AIM-120. Aires seats. 

If you have some further interest the WIP can be found here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104554-raaf-6-sqn-ea-18g-growler-the-exciting-usual-grey-scheme-148-hasegawa-finished/

BM EA-18G G1

BM EA-18G G4

BM EA-18G G3

BM EA-18G G5

BM EA-18G G6

BM EA-18G G8

BM EA-18G G9

BM EA-18G G11

BM EA-18G G10

BM EA-18G G2

Ray

• Like 46
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting this, Ray. I've been considering one of these but haven't decided on which kit yet. Looks like the Hasegawa one is now a front-runner!

2 minutes ago, Bell209 said:

Looks like the Hasegawa one is now a front-runner!

Hi Rob,

It builds up nicely. I still think worth checking the latest Meng kit. 

Ray

• Thanks 1

That's lovely, Ray. You've done a superb paint job.

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Rob,

It builds up nicely. I still think worth checking the latest Meng kit. 

Ray

I have built the Meng version and enjoyed it. It went together very well. I think each kit has its advantages. Isn't it nice to have such choices to make?

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I have built the Meng version and enjoyed it. It went together very well. I think each kit has its advantages. Isn't it nice to have such choices to make?

It certainly is. The Hasegawa's kit location devices do not appear to be as good as the Meng. This means it does take some effort to ensure good joins such as the underside engagement into the LERX and that front fuselage location. From shape and details I am certainly no expert but the Hasegawa does build into a fine model. Very satisfying and with some aftermarket quite nice indeed. 

38 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Perfect painting and weathering as always.

I tend to weather for my eye rather than the camera so I always find the photos a little bland. Still, most of the RAAF Growler photos also look quite bland so maybe I got it close. I was very happy with how the upper surfaces colour and texture turned out. I am not using washes (unless I need a filter) and use very limited pin wash. Maybe just to highlight a specific detail. The rivet detail on this kit is uniform but quite pronounced so with a black base and the usual thin colour coats most of this detail shows through anyway. I can then use oils and/or airbrush post shade for any specific weathering.

I am now keen to build my Kinetic legacy hornet.  There are some great photos and the video Australian Hornet Ball 2020 (I prefer the version with Getaway (Koven Remix))  of these weathered aircraft at the end of their life. 

Ray

• Like 1

Looks excellent Ray, totally convincing finish and very well built. 

4 hours ago, Bell209 said:

Looks like the Hasegawa one is now a front-runner!

Mmmm...maybe shop around the more modern offerings (Meng and HB) before committing, unless fighting with your kit is an enjoyable part of the hobby for you 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, exdraken said:

interesting load out!

It was a nice part of the project. Had some fun with this and received some good advice from the BM community.

6 hours ago, Alan P said:

Looks excellent Ray

Thanks Alan, appreciated. I really like what you did with your big 1/32 version and thought the stand was a great idea. I was struggling to find a clear place to grab hold by the end of the build. One of those builds where you hold your breath to get a photo and then promptly put it away in storage.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Did the kit come with the mount and ASQ-228 ATFLIR pod or were those add-ons?

Edited by SubOne
Correction

4 hours ago, SubOne said:

Did the kit come with the mount and ASQ-228 ATFLIR pod or were those add-ons?

These were supplied in the Hasegawa Growler boxing as a separate sprue <D>. 

BM EA-18G c142

Ray

On 5/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, Ray_W said:

It certainly is. The Hasegawa's kit location devices do not appear to be as good as the Meng. This means it does take some effort to ensure good joins such as the underside engagement into the LERX and that front fuselage location. From shape and details I am certainly no expert but the Hasegawa does build into a fine model. Very satisfying and with some aftermarket quite nice indeed. 

I tend to weather for my eye rather than the camera so I always find the photos a little bland. Still, most of the RAAF Growler photos also look quite bland so maybe I got it close. I was very happy with how the upper surfaces colour and texture turned out. I am not using washes (unless I need a filter) and use very limited pin wash. Maybe just to highlight a specific detail. The rivet detail on this kit is uniform but quite pronounced so with a black base and the usual thin colour coats most of this detail shows through anyway. I can then use oils and/or airbrush post shade for any specific weathering.

I am now keen to build my Kinetic legacy hornet.  There are some great photos and the video Australian Hornet Ball 2020 (I prefer the version with Getaway (Koven Remix))  of these weathered aircraft at the end of their life. 

Ray

I've got both kits in the stash so spoiled for choice when the time comes. This is a great model, Ray. I have lost count of the number of recent models that I have seen ruined with over weathering, especially on modern jets. There are, of course, exceptions such as the Hellenic A-7 Corsairs and Vietnam-era USMC F-8Es but by and large most jets are kept pretty clean and I believe the weathering on your model is spot on, having studies countless photos of F/A-18 Super Hornets. Well done, Sir !

I also have to agree with you on Australian Hornet Ball 2020 - I've also lost count on the number of times I have watched this video. I have even used elements of it in one of my Air Power Lecture intros at the College where I work !.

Again, very well done on a great model and a great finish   

• Like 1

Thanks @Tiger331 greatly appreciate the comments. I immediately played the 2020 Hornet Ball video ... yet again. I really need to find time to build my legacy Hornet.

Ray

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

The underside

Thanks for the kind thoughts.  The typical more subtle topside weathering is always a challenge. Plenty of areas to improve but I was happy with how the Growler turned out. I am now really looking forward to getting to that stage on my current F-105F build. Faded SEA scheme and individual panel staining and rivet detail. A lot going on. This should be fun.

Ray

@Ramtin @SteveMc Thank you,

There is also some very nice recent footage available for RAAF F/18F's and EA-18 Growlers that I recently discovered. Would of further helped with the finish.

Worth checking out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITDZHzpI9rc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Y3HQ7Wm44

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDZ3bC8Lo1I

Ray