How to build a 1/48 Hurricane Mk.XII?

k5054nz

Hi all,

Having followed the restoration of Mike Potter's beautiful Hurricane XII, and this week seeing Dave Hadfield's test flight video of same:

I've found myself wondering what I need to build this machine in 1/48. As shown in my thread requesting the best kit for another particular Hurricane, I know precious little about what's on offer and which kits include the parts needed to replicate this aircraft.

Any advice regarding kit choice (and decals for this scheme if not in the box) are most welcome!

• Like 3

The Hurricane XII was a Hurricane IIB with the following changes, Merlin 29 engine, Hamilton Standard 23E50 propeller and as far as I know US sourced flight instruments and radio.  (Edit and probably locally sourced tyres as well) The aircraft often had the spinner deleted.  The 23E50 was widely used, according to the CAA B-17, B-24, B-25, A-20, A-26, A-30, F6F, C-46, C-47, C-54, C-87, F6F, F4U, PV-2, TBY, TBM, RY, PBY, PB4Y, Lancaster, Mosquito.

Edited by Geoffrey Sinclair
Tyres comment
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Any advice regarding kit choice (and decals for this scheme if not in the box) are most welcome!

You need a IIB kit.

Note you also need a Canadian spinner.   They don't exist in any kit or AM.   It's a pretty simple shape, basically a blunt triangle, so something else may work, or use to smash mould one.  

The linked Ultracast would be great if it didn't have the spinner.

Also, Canadian built Hurricane XII'  have a different shaped radiator front. The only kit that has that is the Hobbycraft kit, as they used a Canadian plane as reference. 

It's a minor point.  

As for decals, the Italeri Mk.I kit came with the LE-A option. The kit had 6 options, so they are in spares boxes. 

FWIW, the restoration team made some false assumption regarding the fuselage roundel.     It got discussed here at one stage.  I'll add it in if I find it.

Irrelevant if you just want to do the restoration 'as is' though.

HTH

• Thanks 1

If you can find a copy, the best reference for the Mk. XII is IPMS Canada's magazine, RT, Vol. 38, No. 3. It has 21 pages on the Canadian-built aircraft, 1/48 scale conversion, colour schemes, etc. Lots of good details and build photos and colour art.

• Thanks 1

Thank you gents! I'll see if a friend has a copy of that issue of RT to scan for me.

On 5/7/2022 at 10:01 PM, Geoffrey Sinclair said:

Hamilton Standard 23E50 propeller [...] The 23E50 was widely used, according to the CAA B-17

Recently I got a full quartet of 1/48 B-17 props from Revell's spares folks so that's that sorted!

On 5/8/2022 at 12:12 AM, Troy Smith said:

You need a IIB kit.[...]

Thank you Troy, I had a feeling you'd be able to help! Do you happen to know which kits include IIB wing parts? Apart from the radiator front issue, would the Hasegawa kits again be my best bet?

As with P3351, building a model of a restored aircraft can bring up all sorts of interesting questions...but at least there's no shortage of reference material!

Edited by k5054nz

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

! Do you happen to know which kits include IIB wing parts?

Any Hasegawa that builds a Mk.IIA or B has the B wing, they only ever tooled up a B wing,  for the A wing you need to send off the outer gun bays panels.

1 hour ago, k5054nz said:

Apart from the radiator front issue, would the Hasegawa kits again be my best bet?

Yes, until the Arma kit.  The radiator is only slightly different,  I only noticed while trying to spot something else. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086563-hurricane-radiators-is-there-a-tropical-or-later-type-on-the-mkii-and-iv-and-is-there-a-different-canadian-inlet-shape/

Same deal here 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235104429-canadian-hurricane-mkxii-some-detail-observations-and-questions/

They are small airframe variations,  only really of interest to detail obsessed modellers :whistle:.  

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

They are small airframe variations,  only really of interest to detail obsessed modellers :whistle:.  

I get the feeling I'll end up getting the Italeri decals on one of the three Hasegawa boxings and call it a day! 😁 Thanks again for your help and the very informative links!