Port Pleasant, 8 June 1982 - Westland Wessex HU.5. ++++ RFI POSTED ++++

Looking good Mark. Re you notes and numbers above. By The time the cabs got into the o/a green, they were probably painted at base level, so stencil, servicing decals weren't always available.

2. is the tail pylon lifting strap positioning mark.

3. Servicing stencil/decals for gearbox lub, port side only.

5. Manufacturers part number/mod plates.

Re the X, this is almost the correct place as per the sand and spinach scheme, it's the Q which is a late addition. The roundels were slightly higher and a tad further forward and not sat lower as your ref.

In the early days IMSM, the black markings/stencils were applied to the sand areas and the white on the spinach/green. I'm building an H-34 at present in o/a Light Gull Grey, the stencil markings on the Caracal sheet are great.

Hope the above is of some use.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, hendie said:

Stencil 1 in the middle of the transmission door was usually Lubricant symbols

Stencil 6 were metal ID plates riveted to the U/C legs.

The BM walkround section has both an RAF and a Navy Wessex which shows most of the stencil data quite nicely

Stencils on Wessex were as varied as you can get as far as I can tell.  If you slap NO STEP, NO PUSH, & NO HAND HOLD on any available surface you shouldn't be too far away :D

Yes, there's a lot of variation!  I looked closely at the pics of XT450 and it seems to have fewer stencils than most, I wonder if that was anything to do with being in active service?  

I'm going to substantially knock back the stencils on the transmission door and tail such that not much more than a hint is visible.  I'll use something appropriate for the plates on the U/C legs, maybe some painted Bare Metal Foil cut out with the Silhouette cutter.

Something you may not have caught - The RAF paint a great big cashew nut shaped patch of non-slip paint around the cockpit access steps (see Bill's shot of Sunshine at the top of this page), but the Navy Wessex in the walkround only has small rectangles of non-slip around each of the steps.  From your shots above it looks like this may have been the style on XT450.  

I wondered about that too - forgot to include that in my previous post.  In looking at the photos of XT450 it seems that it doesn't even have the small rectangles - I can't make out anything other than green.  My plan was to brush paint the steps themselves with very dark grey but otherwise leave everything green but with a dark wash in the recesses.

I should also mention that us crabs never let hydraulic oil drip like that on our aircraft.  Just sayin'   :D

I shall remember that when I don't splash goop and other sundry staining all over the airframe later... 😉 

8 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Looking good Mark. Re you notes and numbers above. By The time the cabs got into the o/a green, they were probably painted at base level, so stencil, servicing decals weren't always available.

2. is the tail pylon lifting strap positioning mark.

3. Servicing stencil/decals for gearbox lub, port side only.

5. Manufacturers part number/mod plates.

Re the X, this is almost the correct place as per the sand and spinach scheme, it's the Q which is a late addition. The roundels were slightly higher and a tad further forward and not sat lower as your ref.

In the early days IMSM, the black markings/stencils were applied to the sand areas and the white on the spinach/green. I'm building an H-34 at present in o/a Light Gull Grey, the stencil markings on the Caracal sheet are great.

Hope the above is of some use.

Colin

Very useful Colin, thank you.  The green being a base level paint job explains the absence of stencils visible in the photos, and gives me more confidence it's on the right track.  I reckoned on the top of the roundels being about two thirds up the windows; I think they ended up just a fraction lower than that (the angle of the photo makes them look a lighter low, too).

Thanks for the feedback gents, much appreciated.

• Like 1

The starboard side...

spacer.png

This view is also the post decal adjustment pic.  In addition to an overspray of the tail decals and the fuel stencil painted on the roundel (which seems odd to me, but it's there on the real one) I painstakingly masked and painted over the yellow dashed lines around the windows to bring them to the correct thickness.  A little bit of a pain but well worth it as they look quite correct now.

The result of the same process on the port side...

spacer.png

You can see where I have mostly covered the stencil on the transmission cover as per the actual andI trimmed the white fire fighting markings too (same as starboard side).

This evening I worked on the wheels and will attach them tomorrow.  Then, I think it will be time to complete the detail painting on the steps, for example and add some goop to the obvious panel lines.  With that done, I'll apply the finish coat, unmask and then finish the windows and cabin door and their associated hardware, and finish those, too.  I hope to complete all of that tomorrow evening leaving the weekend free to work on the rotors.

I'm running out of time for an 8th June completion unfortunately.  I am travelling from Tuesday afternoon until Thursday so if it's not finished Monday night I'll miss my target date of the 40th anniversary of the action.  Not the end of the world.

Some questions, if I may.  In the pic below we can see the tail rotor hub(?) is red - would that have been how it was painted in the Falklands?  the blades black with solid red tips, with natural metal leading edges?

spacer.png

As pictured here the airframe is considerably more weathered than in the Falklands, so some things have changed between this pic and the reference one, hence the question.

I'm also curious about the main blades; can I rely on the instructions and paint them "Medium Grey" ?   I would have erred more towards a darker grey but that might be semantics.  Would their leading edge be black, the tips yellow?  Finally, would the thin yellow lines have been present per the instructions?  Thanks for any guidance on those questions.

Cheers.

• Like 3

Missed most of this build so far Mark, being on hols and wot not.  But all caught up now and it’s definitely well up to expected Mark standards :D  Loving it.

Can’t answer any of your questions mind….

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, mark.au said:

In the pic below we can see the tail rotor hub(?) is red - would that have been how it was painted in the Falklands?  

Mark, that's not the tail rotor hub that is red. That's the tail rotor Lock, which prevents the blades flapping in the wind.  It fits over the end and grabs all the blades

This shot may make things clearer 

P1180019.jpg

this was my attempt at scratching one - you can see that the lock pushes against two of the blades while pulling two blades forward

PB030030.jpg

like this...

PB030015.jpg

Does that help?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, hendie said:

Does that help?

It does indeed!  Intimidates a little too 😄    As mine is posed with the tail in the flight position I confidently assume I won't need to add that particular piece of metal origami.  

I also get a great view of how the blades are painted on the main and tail, so those questions covered as well.  Thanks Alan.

6 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Missed most of this build so far Mark, being on hols and wot not.  But all caught up now and it’s definitely well up to expected Mark standards :D  Loving it.

Can’t answer any of your questions mind….

Thanks.  I wouldn't have been following had I been where you were either!

14 minutes ago, mark.au said:

As mine is posed with the tail in the flight position I confidently assume I won't need to add that particular piece of metal origami.  

Nope, they were only used to stop the blades slamming back and forth in high winds

• Thanks 1

I just found this thread, and what an inspiration it is. :analintruder:

What an excellent build you've got Mark. :goodjob:

I've bookmarked it for further reference when I'll come to build my own Wessex.

/Bosse

• Thanks 1

Hi Mark, Alan has answered the question re the gust lock. Re the blade colours, Grey (mid) uppers and black undersides. The leading edge as far as I can remember was dark brown rubber anti erosion coating. All the markings as per the instructions, these were applied at the factory as sets of four, weighed and balanced.

Hope this helps?

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mark,

Looking really good - stencils have added a nice level of complexity to the lovely weathering. I wouldn't sweat the date...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Marlin said:

I just found this thread, and what an inspiration it is. :analintruder:

What an excellent build you've got Mark. :goodjob:

I've bookmarked it for further reference when I'll come to build my own Wessex.

/Bosse

Thank you very much, the links @hendie and others have posted are my references and well worth checking out too.

4 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Mark, Alan has answered the question re the gust lock. Re the blade colours, Grey (mid) uppers and black undersides. The leading edge as far as I can remember was dark brown rubber anti erosion coating. All the markings as per the instructions, these were applied at the factory as sets of four, weighed and balanced.

Hope this helps?

Colin

Great info Colin, thank you.  Definitely helps.

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Mark,

Looking really good - stencils have added a nice level of complexity to the lovely weathering. I wouldn't sweat the date...

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger (and @bigbadbadge and @AliGauld).  Not too worried about the date, would be nice to finish it by then though.

I made good progress this evening adding the remaining little bits and pieces and even applied the finish coat.  I made the various handles around the cockpit from wire and used the PE for a the latch handles.  I did a bit of dry brushing to pop a few of the details but otherwise not much in the way of weathering.  Here’s the results.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The only remaining task on the airframe is the sliding windows, cabin door and the antenna wires.  I also want to add what I think are drains which exit from the corrugated transmission cover(?) where the conduit enters it.  Oh, and the wheels.

Then, it’s on to the main and tail rotors.  While I was hoping to get some longish gravel riding in this weekend, the forecast in Canberra is more conducive to modelling so I should make some more solid progress.

Cheers.

Edited to add that it seems I forgot to add a PE thingy to the top of the starboard landing gear strut.  I also inexplicably forgot the engine cover latches on the port side where I removed the plastic and used PE on the starboard side.  B****r.  I’ll ponder whether I’m going to fix that.

Edited by mark.au
As above.
  • Like 9

Mark, the two items you are referring to on the lobster back cowling are bracing plates. A folded ali construction. Have a look in Alan (Hendies ) build there should be a ref pic there. Not easy to replicate, as they follow the curve of the aft fuselage.

Colin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh boy this is coming on well and looking lovely Mark , I do like the sutle variations in colour and tge little details are really bringing it to life.  

Re the latches could you use very thin plasticard to recreate, I used a very thin plasticard on my Sea Venom and sanded it down until it almost goes so you get a similar effect to the PE.  

I am sure what ever you do will look good.

Great work 

Chris

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heloman1 said:

Mark, the two items you are referring to on the lobster back cowling are bracing plates. A folded ali construction. Have a look in Alan (Hendies ) build there should be a ref pic there. Not easy to replicate, as they follow the curve of the aft fuselage.

Colin

Thanks Colin, two things learned.  “Lobster Deck” and the bracing plates.  I was actually just reading Allan’s WIP on those things today (and thinking that these days he’d simply design and print them) and realised they’re another example of me going into this build with a bit much blind faith in Italeri... I also noted the fuel caps were supposed to be recessed and what an easy fix that would be if I’d thought about it before closing the fuselage.  We live and learn.

I’m not sure I can add the braces now without too much damage.  I might be able to make a representation of them.  Will think on that.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh boy this is coming on well and looking lovely Mark , I do like the sutle variations in colour and tge little details are really bringing it to life.  

Re the latches could you use very thin plasticard to recreate, I used a very thin plasticard on my Sea Venom and sanded it down until it almost goes so you get a similar effect to the PE.  

I am sure what ever you do will look good.

Great work 

Chris

Thanks Chris.  I took a bit of an easy way out and simply attached the PE handles to the plastic nub.  Under paint it looks fine.

• Like 1

Can't remember/don't know if you have visited the Walk Round section here. The RAF HAR2 WR has an excellent shot of the starboard brace. You could mask off the area, build the parts to suit and then glue on after painting. Maybe not ideal but a way around it. They are prominent!

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Can't remember/don't know if you have visited the Walk Round section here. The RAF HAR2 WR has an excellent shot of the starboard brace. You could mask off the area, build the parts to suit and then glue on after painting. Maybe not ideal but a way around it. They are prominent!

Colin

I have visited but not that one - it’s also got great shots on the antenna wires and their terminations which I’ll need soon.

Those braces are prominent.  I think I’ve thought of a way I could add them relatively risk-free.  I’ll give it a test tomorrow.

Edited by mark.au
  • Like 1

Just now, mark.au said:

I have visited but not that one - it’s also got great shots on the antenna wires and their terminations which I’ll need soon.

Those braces are prominent.  I think I’ve thought of a way I could add them relatively risk-free.  I’ll give it a test tomorrow.

Good man...

Colin

• Like 1

On 6/2/2022 at 9:24 PM, mark.au said:

Then, I think it will be time to complete the detail painting on the steps, for example and add some goop to the obvious panel lines.  With that done, I'll apply the finish coat, unmask and then finish the windows and cabin door and their associated hardware, and finish those, too.  I hope to complete all of that tomorrow evening leaving the weekend free to work on the rotors.

Hahahaha…. What a wildly incomplete list!  It has rained all day here in Canberra so I’ve been at it much of the day.  The good news is that I’m almost done, including the braces @heloman1 :)

It’s too late to put a post together tonight, I’ll do it tomorrow.  A teaser…

spacer.png

Cheers.

• Like 9