70s-80s RAF pilot figures NOT seated in plane?

Hi, all.... I've just refurbished (for his memorial service) a display of aircraft flown by my father in law through his RAF career, which ran 1954-1989. It struck me that both for scaling the various props, jets and helicopters and as a nice gesture to his career, it would be good to have a representative pilot figure, ideally saluting "clear skies" to the viewer and imaginary aircraft above. There are some lovely figures in the PJ range, but for the right period they are all seated in aircraft.  Does anyone know any sources of well-sculpted 1960-1980 RAF pilots, standing on the flight line?

best,

M.

What scale? I would offer a friendly word of advice, here. Solitary, standing figures tend to be some of the most expensive you can buy. I would take a guess that they are produced in small numbers, so the unit-cost is generally much higher than the "box-o-figures" / generic sets.

Good luck in finding what you're after. Try Ali Express - their prices tend to be very competitive, even with shipping from China on top. 

Cheers. 

Chris.   

• Thanks 1

I'm inferring your most likely preferred scale given most of PJ's range is 1:72 (aka The One True)?

I believe PJ Productions do a couple of standing modern pilots but they may not cover your desired era or nationality.

Next on the aftermarket list, but again not quite what you need, is Aerobonus a branch of Aires, if I have my info correct.  They do a standing Royal Navy Harrier pilot c. 1982.  There are other figures in the same line from different eras/nationalities that might help you out with some kitbashing or sculpting added.

https://www.aires.cz/en/product/british-sea-harrier-pilot-falkland-war-1982/0-2498/ 

Other options worth checking into: The vintage ESCI/AMT NATO Pilots and Ground Crew set had a variety of figures that may include at least one or two RAF flyers. You'll likely want to look for the later Italeri boxing, as those were done in a harder plastic vs shiny vinyl.

And while it's a bit more modern generally, if you can find the Revell AG NATO Pilots set it is chock full of usable parts in classic injection-molded polystyrene.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, tweeky said:

Lower legs look wrong the G-suite/Immersion suite went over the boots.

Ok,  maybe he doesn't represent an RAF Harrier pilot then.    🙄

David

• Like 1

How about PJ Productions' RAF Pilots Standing Ref 721119.  They are cast with separate arms which might suit your purpose.

Trevor

• Thanks 1