I feel deserted GB chat

Dansk

I went a bit crazy at the LHS.

52572449897_2757c7ca1c_z_d.jpg

I could use this for at least two different GB of my choosing--Desert or Recon.

And then I saw this and fell head-over-heels in love...oh my...The guys at the shop watched me in amusement as I circled back around several times before asking her for a date.

52572449892_b9d86113a6_z_d.jpg

Once again, definitely Recon, but it has profiles for the Lebanon in the 1980s and I'm wondering...is that 'Desert' enough?

I would be leaning towards the Toyota with the Bondo-filler...on the right...

52572469577_3597ccb932_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, John Masters said:

it has profiles for the Lebanon in the 1980s and I'm wondering...is that 'Desert' enough?

I went to Beirut once and was surprised how verdant it was 😁

• Like 2

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

Once again, definitely Recon, but it has profiles for the Lebanon in the 1980s and I'm wondering...is that 'Desert' enough?

what do you think craig? @modelling minion

the land rover is fine but the lovely toyota is not very desert schemed? or is the lebanese one desert coloured?

by the way john - uncle nightshift just built one. I think he's very talented but this build i feel he has too much contrast and becomes cartoon-like in it's washes, paint and weathering.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Dansk said:

but this build i feel he has too much contrast and becomes cartoon-like in it's washes, paint and weathering.

I agree.  Way too much contrast and too rusty for Chad (which is where it is supposed to be from).  I would have made it dusty and with reddish mud.  

And not to worry.  I am not married to the idea of representing The Lebanon.  More just thinking out loud.  I have enough desert-ish stuff in the stash, and plans galore...we shall see!  The Land Rover looks fun.  I mean, who among us here doesn't like a Land Rover?

Many thanks.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, John Masters said:

19 minutes ago, Dansk said:

what do you think craig?

I would think that the Lebanese one on the right in sand and brown certainly fits the bill for a desert scheme.

🇺🇦

9 minutes ago, John Masters said:

I mean, who among us here doesn't like a Land Rover?

Enzo loves Land Rovers.   They are almost unbreakable - believe me, I've seen people try their utmost and fail miserably.

On deployment in Germany, one guy rolled a Land Rover down an embankment.  He walked away from the crash, thankfully.  LAD came along and hauled it out of the ditch with a JCB.  The chassis was bent and only three wheels touched the ground, so they placed the forks of the JCB into the flatbed of the Rover and  pushed down until all four wheels touched.  It was still driveable after that.  Admittedly it wasn't pleasant to drive and it made a horrific squealing noise, but it got us through the deployment. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I would think that the Lebanese one on the right in sand and brown certainly fits the bill for a desert scheme.

Thanks Craig.  I think it's not actually sand and brown.  I think it is light tan (which was a stock Land Cruiser colour) along with Bondo-like  Body filler, which is an oxide red-brown paste used to fill in rusty holes.  

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/bondo-us/

37 minutes ago, Dansk said:

washes, paint and weathering.

I watched the video.  It's an excellent tutorial on technique for sure.  Yes...a bit over-the-top I think.  50% less would have been better but at the end he said "I didn't really enjoy building this" or something like that.  So maybe he made up for that lack of enthusiasm with weathering.  

12 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

On deployment in Germany, one guy rolled a Land Rover down an embankment.  He walked away from the crash, thankfully.  LAD came along and hauled it out of the ditch with a JCB.  The chassis was bent and only three wheels touched the ground, so they placed the forks of the JCB into the flatbed of the Rover and  pushed down until all four wheels touched.  It was still driveable after that.  Admittedly it wasn't pleasant to drive and it made a horrific squealing noise, but it got us through the deployment. 

That would make a good vignette...with the JCB straightening out the frame.  Bunch of guys standing around watching...

In the mid-1980s I lived in Colorado and I had a '76 short-bed Land Cruiser 4-speed, Mustard Yellow. Stock, truck tires, a real beast.  Went everywhere and anywhere.  In any case, I was driving down the street in Denver, middle the day, minding my own business, when a drunk guy in a 280ZX pulled into my lane and gunned it.  I had no time to do anything but stop dead.   He hit me head-on.  The 280ZX went underneath the Land Cruiser, my front wheels ending up on his hood, just shy of the windscreen.  I was fine, seatbelted, etc...I reversed off his mangled car and yes...limped over to the side of the road on three wheels.  The funny thing is the accident happened right in front of a donut shop and 2 police cruisers where sitting there, cops with donuts and everything.  They saw the whole thing.  They arrested him, called a tow truck for me and that was the last I saw of Baby.  Basically totalled.  They could have twisted the frame back but I would been driving sideways from then on.  Fare thee well, my honey...

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

43 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

🇺🇦

it's not really desert camo craig. or is this the wrong colour?

spacer.png

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Come my birthday on the 17th I will need to feign delight and surprise when I unwrap this from Queen Mary, who has purchased it from Mr @alanmac on this very forum for me. I feel it will make a nice pairing with the SAS Jeep that she got me for Christmas.

She's a keeper, that one.

spacer.png

• Like 7

So am I too late to throw my hat - or kit - into the ring for this??  I'm firmly rooted to the ground but I've got a number of potential candidates in the stash.  A couple of early Shermans, a couple of Grants, a Dingo, a Dorchester, an Otter, maybe a Tiran.

• Like 3

I have only built four desert scheme Spitfires so far. Thus, I bought the Eduard Mk.VIII Weekend kit for this GB. It's got a lovely USAAF boxtop scheme as one option. The kit is just SILLY! I didn't mention it was in 1:72, but all my builds are... Well, you build the pilot's seat from three parts + armour plate, landing gear bay side walls come in seven parts, each radiator housing has four pieces, the wheels - yes wheels - are assembled from four parts each! Yet the kit has something like 70+ parts unused. Fortunately the 4-blade propeller still comes in one piece, excellent 👍. I can hardly wait to get to build this... of course this would be also eligible in the Southern Europe GB, which starts 21/2 months earlier :winkgrin:. V-P

• Like 3

On 1/9/2023 at 10:00 PM, Kingsman said:

So am I too late to throw my hat - or kit - into the ring for this??  I'm firmly rooted to the ground but I've got a number of potential candidates in the stash.  A couple of early Shermans, a couple of Grants, a Dingo, a Dorchester, an Otter, maybe a Tiran.

You most certainly are not too late to join in and there is most certainly room for more armour, especially if you bring early Shermans to the party.

12 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I have only built four desert scheme Spitfires so far. Thus, I bought the Eduard Mk.VIII Weekend kit for this GB. It's got a lovely USAAF boxtop scheme as one option. The kit is just SILLY! I didn't mention it was in 1:72, but all my builds are... Well, you build the pilot's seat from three parts + armour plate, landing gear bay side walls come in seven parts, each radiator housing has four pieces, the wheels - yes wheels - are assembled from four parts each! Yet the kit has something like 70+ parts unused. Fortunately the 4-blade propeller still comes in one piece, excellent 👍. I can hardly wait to get to build this... of course this would be also eligible in the Southern Europe GB, which starts 21/2 months earlier :winkgrin:. V-P

And I for one am very much looking forward to seeing what you can do with your Spitfire.

🇺🇦

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm looking forward to this one too. I haven't done a desert Spit yet (well not in 1/48), but I have a USAAF one lined up for this GB and a Free French one for  the recce GB. I just got hold of the HF Mk VIII 1/48 Weekend kit for an absolute song with two pointy-winged schemes, can't decide whether to go grey/PRU blue or on the other hand there's a very attractive desert scheme... 

You're right about Eduard kits though... they don't skimp on the plastic!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, TonyOD said:

I'm looking forward to this one too. I haven't done a desert Spit yet (well not in 1/48), but I have a USAAF one lined up for this GB and a Free French one for  the recce GB. I just got hold of the HF Mk VIII 1/48 Weekend kit for an absolute song with two pointy-winged schemes, can't decide whether to go grey/PRU blue or on the other hand there's a very attractive desert scheme... 

You're right about Eduard kits though... they don't skimp on the plastic!

Sounds like you have some great options Tony.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 2

I plan to get tacoms new 1/35 apache for this and do the qatar desert scheme.

spacer.png

andy from andys hobby headquarters has just done a box review of it and it looks amazing! I can't wait!

I think it's fair to say we are really gonna have a varied GB with all the different subjects.

• Like 3