I feel deserted GB chat

Dansk

28 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see some more Tamiya classic plastic joining the GB, and it looks like you got it for a bargain price too.

🇺🇦

Yes, £3.99 from our local Oxfam bookshop of all places. Been looking for a chance to build it!

• Like 2

Just took delivery of a box of Eduard loveliness. My airborne build for I Feel Deserted will most likely be this Mk Vc Spitfire, "The Impatient Virgin", flown by F/O James Henry Montgomery of 4th Fighter Squadron, 52nd Fighter Group USAAF. Mind you, given that this GB doesn't kick off until next August the virgin will just have to be patient, won't she?

spacer.png

I think I'll be good for the SAS jeep too. 

Because I have WW2 tunnel vision I keep having to remind myself that the desert offers massive breadth of possibilities - small matter of two major wars invoving the west in the last few decades, for one thing.

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, TonyOD said:

Just took delivery of a box of Eduard loveliness. My airborne build for I Feel Deserted will most likely be this Mk Vc Spitfire, "The Impatient Virgin", flown by F/O James Henry Montgomery of 4th Fighter Squadron, 52nd Fighter Group USAAF. Mind you, given that this GB doesn't kick off until next August the virgin will just have to be patient, won't she?

spacer.png

I think I'll be good for the SAS jeep too. 

Because I have WW2 tunnel vision I keep having to remind myself that the desert offers massive breadth of possibilities - small matter of two major wars invoving the west in the last few decades, for one thing.

Another great choice Tony, I have been meaning to add a Spitfire in USAAF markings to the collection for a while and one in desert camo would make it even better.

🇺🇦

• Like 2

It‘s a bit of an obvious choice, and I know many of them have been built before. But none of them are in my vitrine, so here I go:

p?i=c4dde2f6509e41449432f7922cb89876

„The fin“  in desert pink from operation Granby (Desert Storm).

It‘s 1/48, an Italeri kit 😳 

got heaps of aftermarket for it, including the Hindenburg fuel tanks. 

Will be joined at a later stage by a Buccaneer (laser targeting), and maybe a Jaguar. But definitely not during this GB, I have work to attend to in my „other life“… 😅

Really looking forward to this GB!

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, Sam said:

It‘s a bit of an obvious choice, and I know many of them have been built before. But none of them are in my vitrine, so here I go:

„The fin“  in desert pink from operation Granby (Desert Storm).

Will be joined at a later stage by a Buccaneer (laser targeting), and maybe a Jaguar. But definitely not during this GB, I have work to attend to in my „other life“… 😅

Nothing wrong with your choice at all Sam, I am sure that a Tonka in Op Granby markings will prove very popular in the GB. It sounds like you have a good selection of aftermarket goodies to throw at it too, do you have a particular aircraft in mind?

Glad to hear that you're looking forward to the GB.👍

🇺🇦

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sam said:

The fin“  in desert pink from operation Granby (Desert Storm).

Lovely Sam, considered the Tonka myself but have almost certainly opted for something a little different in the end (without wings)

looking forward to see what you can do with the Italeri kit.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TonyOD said:

My airborne build for I Feel Deserted will most likely be this Mk Vc Spitfire, "The Impatient Virgin"

awesome Tony.

V's with desert camo and trop snouts look awesome. 

The scheme with the british roundels over painted will be a fun paint job to do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sam said:

If  the three GB's I'll be building in didn't overlap, Sam, I'd be building one of these myself.  I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with yours.

• Thanks 1

Did I go overboard? Yes. 

Will it help with the untidy fit of the italeri air intakes? - No. 

p?i=d2c574564d10db79902ef8249cc768e5

The flightpath set is a box full of building fun itself 😍 - the Hindenburger fuel tanks are made of massive resin 😳

p?i=634ce86ae904e46e81f3378ceb7906ce

can’t wait to start!

Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Like 5

On 11/15/2022 at 11:20 PM, TonyOD said:

I might just do one of these:

Ditto...along with the LRDG Chevy...

On 11/16/2022 at 8:45 PM, danbuoy said:

I would like to enter with this please;

A fine kit if I remember correctly.

• Like 3

I’m in with the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire IX (no, not the 1958 one!) in the desert scheme that comes in the box. It will be as OOB as I can make it because I’ve got challenging builds for NMCZ and Entropy GBs, otherwise I’d be picking up a FROG/Novo Baltimore…

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2

On 11/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, Sam said:

Did I go overboard? Yes. 

completely overboard. I love it!! 😊

I was originally gonna opt for a gulf tonka, ...but then I fell in love with the idea of either the upcoming new tacom or meng apache in desert scheme...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

....but then a 1/32 italeri tonka gr.4 (which i'll adapt to gr.1) accidentally fell into my basket, together with kitsworld decals, and a pitot tube so I may be joining you with that🤷‍♂️

spacer.png

spacer.png

Problem is, that it's so damn big that I'm not sure 3 months is enough time!.. so that may have to go in Go Large or Go Home?

• Like 4

On 11/19/2022 at 11:34 PM, Cammer625 said:

I’ll join with something from either 3 Squadron or 450 Squadron RAAF from their time in North Africa.

lovely 👍

On 11/19/2022 at 7:00 PM, psdavidson said:

Do these fit the theme?

perfect. 👌

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I’m in with the 1/72 Airfix Spitfire IX (no, not the 1958 one!) in the desert scheme that comes in the box. It will be as OOB as I can make it because I’ve got challenging builds for NMCZ and Entropy GBs, otherwise I’d be picking up a FROG/Novo Baltimore…

nothing wrong with a straight forward airfix spit build adrian. The Baltimore is not often seen so could be really interesting to opt for too. 👍

• Like 2

What if the piece of equipment was painted in desert colured paint, but ended up not actually serving in a desert/tropical setting?  

Am thinking of the planned Axis invasion of Malta (Operation Herkules), but was aborted with the fall of Tobruk in 1942,   There was a company of mixed German vehicles created containing the Pz IVG, along with the heavily armoured Pz I  VK 1801 and 1601.

regards,

Jack

• Like 1