Can the AZ Martin-Baker "MB6" be built as an MB5?

Procopius

Pretty much the extent of my question. Normally I'd just look at the instructions online, but the MB5 ones don't seem to be on Scalemates -- does the MB6 have a different canopy bit or anything?

23 hours ago, Procopius said:

Pretty much the extent of my question. Normally I'd just look at the instructions online, but the MB5 ones don't seem to be on Scalemates -- does the MB6 have a different canopy bit or anything?

I was wondering the exact same thing about 12 months ago when I was keen on doing a MB.5. I compared sprue shots of each kit and the only difference was the canopy. I felt fairly sure I could probably find a vacform canopy that looked enough like the Mb.5 to satisfy myself but I didn't look into that possibility.

The MB.6 kit seems easy enough to find but the MB.5 seems to have become as rare as rocking horse poo. I wonder why AZ don't re-release it? To be sold out and so hard to find on the 2nd hand market, it's a fair assumption that people must have bought the kit and either built it or are holding onto it, so a re-release seems like a sensible move for AZ. 

Sky Ferret :doh: Who thought that one up :fraidnot:

Damn your eyes, I now want another MB-5 kit in 1:48!  :frantic: It wouldn't take much to convert it to a.... Sky... Nope.  Can't bring myself to say it.  MB-6. :)

19 minutes ago, James Venables said:

I was wondering the exact same thing about 12 months ago when I was keen on doing a MB.5. I compared sprue shots of each kit and the only difference was the canopy. I felt fairly sure I could probably find a vacform canopy that looked enough like the Mb.5 to satisfy myself but I didn't look into that possibility.

The MB.6 kit seems easy enough to find but the MB.5 seems to have become as rare as rocking horse poo. I wonder why AZ don't re-release it? To be sold out and so hard to find on the 2nd hand market, it's a fair assumption that people must have bought the kit and either built it or are holding onto it, so a re-release seems like a sensible move for AZ. 

Just had an idea, but it came to naught: The Spiteful canopy is similar, but shorter

Not to de-track the post, but I had similar difficulties finding an AZ Spiteful XIV, and had to settle for a Seafang, which was OK as I only needed the wing to do prototype NN660. Why don't AZ do another batch of these, when they obviously sell well?

/Finn

2 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

Just had an idea, but it came to naught: The Spiteful canopy is similar, but shorter

Not to de-track the post, but I had similar difficulties finding an AZ Spiteful XIV, and had to settle for a Seafang, which was OK as I only needed the wing to do prototype NN660. Why don't AZ do another batch of these, when they obviously sell well?

/Finn

Wonder if the moulds are worn? These were afterall short run kits, generally the moulds for these can only be used for a relatively small number of kits. May be worth asking them directly if they are planning a reissue

36 minutes ago, modelldoc said:

I did the CMR resin job. Came out nicely 

oIa2P4E7_o.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, FinnAndersen said:

You may have lucked out, as I believe their Spiteful is underscale, while their Seafang, inexplicably, is not.

47 minutes ago, Procopius said:

You may have lucked out, as I believe their Spiteful is underscale, while their Seafang, inexplicably, is not.

Wow, new to me. Never thought of that. Just measured my CMR Spiteful and the AZ wing and the AZ wing is 2mm wider. I kind of assumed that AZ had been "inspired" by the CMR Spiteful, but not to what extent.

/Finn 

I just checked, and there is a Skybirds '86 MB.5 for sale on eBay right now. But you better hurry as the bidding stops in a little over 2 hours!

Regards,

Jason

22 minutes ago, Learstang said:

I just checked, and there is a Skybirds '86 MB.5 for sale on eBay right now. But you better hurry as the bidding stops in a little over 2 hours!

Regards,

Jason

I actually had bid on it, but someone has outbid me, the soulless wretch.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

33 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I actually had bid on it, but someone has outbid me, the soulless wretch.

I pray that anyone who outbids me be thrown to the tender mercies of Great Cthulhu, blessings be to his name!

Best Regards,

Jason

P.S. It wasn't me who outbid you, although I did think about bidding on it, but as I already have this kit, that seemed a bit selfish.

• Like 1

I'm not going to even attempt to join in the debate, but I built an AZ 'Sea Baker' a couple of years ago.  And to be honest it was a build that I enjoyed. The basic kit was the  MB 5, I believe and it turned out ok. I have no idea of the accuracy or whether it was an MB5 or MB6 but it was a good build. It was in a What if GB and for a short run mould it was a decent build. Here is the build.  

And the plane. To be honest I thought the Martin Baker looked like a seriously clever Fleet defender. 

5b6377f7-b932-47c2-a1db-79e10b0b8578.JPG

• Like 3