Hello all.

Lesbgood

Been looking in for some time picking up bits and bobs but generally looking in awe of the detail and time put in to achieving spectacular replicas.

Made a number of Tamiya models over the years but never to the detail I've seen on here. Hoping to change that. Mostly big bikes and F1 plus one disaster build of Protar Fiat 806. Got my nuts mixed up so came to putting wheels on and none fit, broke one axle and there it remains.

Few boxes hanging around for the last twenty years and now Semi retired so here goes on McLaren MP4/6 and Williams FW14B. Waiting for the top studio upgrades to arrive hopefully in July for my 60th then farewell family. With a bit of luck I may be done by my 70th and then who knows where next?

• Like 3

Welcome Les! I'm a dutch modeller, building mostly ww2 armour and some other military stuff. 

I hope you have a good time here. 👍👍👍

18 hours ago, Lesbgood said:

Thanks all, I need to pick up my skills. Without spending a fortune.

Skills will come with time, buy the cheapest stuff you can find and practice on that. Ive bern told Aldi in the U.K. carry Airfix starter plastic kits cheap some times ? If not find a local modeling show or club. They can point you in the best direction. When you feel you're ready to move up to more expensive stuff, you will know. Too bad you don't live in the states I can send you a few Airfix kits if you did. 

On 5/6/2022 at 3:50 PM, Lesbgood said:

McLaren MP4/6 and Williams FW14B.

Nice choices, take your time, research and absorb other, similar builds. There's no rush. And welcome to the forum. 

The learning curve never ends, BTW

On 07/05/2022 at 20:28, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice choices, take your time, research and absorb other, similar builds. There's no rush. And welcome to the forum. 

The learning curve never ends, BTW

No rush at all and I am building up to these. Couple of bikes and Ferrari 312T4 first not to mention Lotus 49B I've had for 20 years?

• Like 1

Can someone point me to my first question answer. Just watched a video of someone doing the emblems on an engine cover. First painting silver then applying something then over spraying before removing the something.

What is the something or what are the alternatives. Old unsteady hands have failed hand painting.

8 hours ago, Lesbgood said:

Can someone point me to my first question answer. Just watched a video of someone doing the emblems on an engine cover. First painting silver then applying something then over spraying before removing the something.

What is the something or what are the alternatives. Old unsteady hands have failed hand painting.

Sounds like a masking fluid ? A few different manufacturer’s make a variant, they're relatively inexpensive. Personally I use Microscale micromask. 

https://spruebrothers.com/msc07-microscale-micro-mask-liquid-masking-medium-07/

Check your local shop if there is one near you and check the different manufacturers of paints and adhesives. One of them is bound to have a version of masking fluid. 

I came back to modelling nearly 2.5 years back, and was always in a rush to get one started so I could start another; people were coming on here showing what they had just bought and for me it was like an unconscious competition to see if I could match and keep up; In short I couldn't. A year ago I decided that I really enjoy the hobby so much but there is NO hurry. It IS as the word describes it; a Hobby, meant to be enjoyed! I started calming right down, and now build at MY speed, things get in the way, life, health etc and so I may not be able to get to the table for a few days. I dont worry about it, I'll be there when I can and it will all be there waiting for me. Recently I applied another change to my modelling and started thinning my paint; it makes a FAR nicer finish and takes longer (I give each coat 24hrs to harden); takes longer, teaches me more patience!

There is NO rush at all, you do this when you want to, when you're up to it, you do a bit at a time and stop till next time. The pace is up to you. Thus, you enjoy the hobby, you pick up good habits and make improvements as you go along just as you find tools to make it easier; as you go along. You get to decide what, when, where and how! Experience takes time, but you'll get there.😉

Welcome to Britmodeller! Welcome to modelling!😀:welcome:

• Like 4