Avia S-199 1/72 Eduard

Hi folks,

this is my recent build of the Eduard new kit. Overall, it is nice kit with great level of detail, smart features and easy build.

On minus side I see the rivets which were filled of the real airframes along with some panel lines, e.g. the rear fuselage was completely smooth.

Also, the decals are not so great, they are definitely workable, but suffer from strange patches on some examples, and also, I do not consider the "peel off" option as advantage (to me it looks like a side effect of a defect printing technology).

The canopy for the open option was too thick to my eyes, so I heat-moulded a new one from clear foil using the kit's part as a plug.

I liked the patchy appearance of this machine that belly landed at Brno airfield in 1953 and was eventually scrapped.

Cheers,

Libor

52054370965_93bf36fc41_o.jpg

52052836722_a03745f346_o.jpg

52053915618_7fbca6b609_o.jpg

52054119334_6786b2edbf_o.jpg

52054370935_7aa3bbf323_o.jpg

52054370915_8042270446_o.jpg

• Like 68
  • Thanks 2

Yes they did, Steve. That was an old grass airfield from 20's used by Luftwaffe during WWII. Actually, it was cancelled just a couple of years ago, now we have there very nice industrial zone:-(

Cheers

Libor

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Redboost said:

+++

The canopy for the open option was too thick to my eyes, so I heat-moulded a new one from clear foil using the kit's part as a plug.

+++

Well worth the effort! Cockpit, canopy and ring antenna say "1/48" (paint job too).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work, Libor. Very much up to your usual standard.

I used to go into the business park where the old airport was quite regularly when I still taught English. You really need to know where to look these days to see the remaining old hangar buildings. At least Brno still has Medlánky airport with its history going back to 1924.

• Thanks 1

On 5/6/2022 at 11:43 AM, Redboost said:

Hi folks,

this is my recent build of the Eduard new kit. Overall, it is nice kit with great level of detail, smart features and easy build.

On minus side I see the rivets which were filled of the real airframes along with some panel lines, e.g. the rear fuselage was completely smooth.

Also, the decals are not so great, they are definitely workable, but suffer from strange patches on some examples, and also, I do not consider the "peel off" option as advantage (to me it looks like a side effect of a defect printing technology).

I liked the patchy appearance of this machine that belly landed at Brno airfield in 1953 and was eventually scrapped.

Cheers,

Libor

Really nice work. That replacement canopy looks great.

Reference the filling of rivets and panel lines, anywhere you could point me with more info as I'm waiting for the 1/48th version of this kit?

• Thanks 1

Libor………I continue to be amazed by your works of art that you share with us.  Another brilliant finish my friend!!!! :clap2:

Mike

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:22 PM, Tbolt said:

Reference the filling of rivets and panel lines, anywhere you could point me with more info as I'm waiting for the 1/48th version of this kit?

See reference books, e.g. Jakab monographs. But the best are good period pictures and also walkaround of the preserved airframes.

Cheers

Libor

• Like 2

On 5/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, Tbolt said:

Really nice work. That replacement canopy looks great.

There is a 1/48 Hobby Craft version of this kit.  I have one in the stash and it is a pretty good looking kit.  I found it on ebay.

On 5/7/2022 at 2:22 PM, Tbolt said:

Superb job!

I wasn't really aware of this aircraft until I recently watched an interesting short on YouTube.   There were some rather sad tales about Israeli pilots shooting their own propellers off due to some incompatibility between the cowling mg synchronisation mechanism and the "aftermarket" engines and propellers!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...