HE-111 in 1:32 or 1:48?

Baron Vaderham

Hey all,

I’ve been eyeballing the heinkel he-111 in 1:32 (revell). It’s rather hard to get, and I don’t really know the quality of the kit. I know there’s PE sets from Eduard still available for it.

I’ve been wondering if maybe I should get it in 1:48 instead, but again, I don’t know the quality of the offerings. Can anyone recommend a kit 1:32 or 1:48 that stands out in quality and with PE sets available?

ICM produce a very nice He 111 in various marks, and I built the  He 111H-3 kit in Battle of Britain markings, and found it an excellent model, which goes together well. Never done a 1/32 version ( not enough room ! ) but I've heard that the Revell one is supposed to be good, as is their 1/48 version. HTH :cheers:

I built the Revel 1/32nd kit when it first came out , can`t fault it . I still have it . Fitted it with two x 1 ton " Herman " bombs and racks from MDC .

If you go for this kit I would suggest the Eduard canopy masking sheet , unless you have much more steadier hands than my old paws !

Don . 

If it helps a few years back I had the Revell Heinkel He111H-22 with the V1 and the mouldings and parts break down were really good so I assume the same would apply to their other 48th scale kits as well.

Regards

Colin.

I built the 111P from Revell in 32nd, and can remember the fit being better than the one in their Ju 88A-1.

Regarding which one to buy, depends on your tastes and display space. I'm currently on a phase of "big is better," so I'm saving up to buy the only available 111P on sale on Facebook (trusty seller).

The Revell 1:32 kit is good - think I reviewed it once-upon-a-time.  The ICM 1:48 is great too.  If you fancy some serious wingspan though, get the ICM 1:48 He.111Z Zwilling :wicked: All the width of the 1:32 kit (and more) without the length ;)

• Like 1

I like the 1:32 because of the size. Less straining on the eyes, and details show up much more. Of course that also means flaws show up much more.

last time I build a revell kit was about 35 years ago, and back then they were rather shoddy. I heard good things about the recent revell kits, especially the platinum editions (I got myself a u-boot platinum edition), so I know they can pull it off.

I hear the size and associated display issues. I’m sure I’ll run into that as well. I’m not planning on any dioramas at the moment, just a plinth with a blueprint of the airplane and the flag of the country. (Ships will have a plinth only).

so it sounds like both directions are good options. Thus I just need to make a decision…

As you are considering the 1/32 Revell Heinkel, it was issued in two iterations, the He 111P-1 and the He 111H-6 (different engine nacelles, propellors, ordnance).  The 111P used the same Daimler Benz as the Messerschmitt, and with demand for increased fighter production, the Heinkel was no longer equipped with it.  He 111Ps continued to serve, of course, and thus you are not restricted to 1939/1940.

Revell's kit is fine, lacking only in a few areas.  The defensive armament, MG 15s, are significantly undersized.

The real (“1/1”) MG 15: 1078mm, which in 1/32 scale would be 33.7 mm

Revell’s MG 15 in their Heinkel kits: 23.5 mm (closer to 1/48)

CMK 32130 has a resin replacement gun, several (Master, Aber), make replacement barrels & sights.

Several firms produce seatbelts.

Good luck with your build, and acquiring sufficient 'hangar space.'

GRM

• Like 1

I cannot comment on 1/48 but overall shapes and general build are very good in the Revell kit.

The external bomb racks - which will be appropriate for both P and H - are only present in the H kit, and are very *very* poor; good replacements are available from MDC and L’Arsenal - they are made for Ju88 but I have placed them on the 111 parts and the fit is very good.

these companies also make good bombs.

a-stands in both kits are not great: Revell got confused between the MG17 and MGFF versions and ended up getting both wrong; there is no aftermarket solution.

the guns will need complete replacement as others have mentioned.

various exhaust options are available from CMK and I think Quickboost

masking sets for canopies are a must - I can’t believe someone was seriously suggesting hand painting the framing - it’s not 1978!

also strongly recommend getting masks made up for the markings in whatever scale you end up choosing, but especially in 1/32; decals really don’t cut it when you go this large.

finally: the P is only fit for a very early version with solid front of C-stand ie no glazing and MG there; in terms of accuracy this will *severely* limit your options.

btw I authored what I am sure was the only in depth review of these kits back in the day, but the platform closed and all the information was sadly lost 😠 

I have recently built the H-6 frm the new Revell kit which contains the ICM plastic.:

As stated in my text, it is a great kit. Wingspan is 47cms which makes it too big for my display case. I have the H-20 in my stash, which I will definetely build some time soon.

Another advantage of ICM`s kit is the greater choice in subvariants. Go for ICM`s kit!