Decals for Hasegawa/Hobbycraft/Fujimi's A-4M by Calcas del Sur in 72nd and 48th

Sturmovik

Calcas del Sur, a fairly new decal maker from Argentina, has released decal sets in 1:72 and 1:48 for the Hasegawa/Hobbycraft A-4M. 

There're options for several A-4ARs plus a single OA-4AR.

Prices are 900 ARS for the 1:72 set and 1100 ARS for the 1:48 set.

You can contact Calcas del Sur through Facebook's Messenger or Instagram.

Ewrbkai.jpeg

SWINdfl.jpeg

t8Dy3wa.jpeg

Tw5ETRT.jpeg

t7Ve1X6.jpeg

vgvFxSx.jpeg

Edited by Sturmovik
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Sturmovik changed the title to Decals for Hasegawa/Hobbycraft/Fujimi's A-4M by Calcas del Sur in 72nd and 48th
4 minutes ago, exdraken said:

stock these in Europe?

Doubtful. Calcas del Sur is a one man operation, they're too small to be stocked in big European hobby shops.

You can contact the seller through Facebook or Instagram though, and he'll send them through Correo Argentino.

• Thanks 1

Very nice!

I've had a Fujimi A-4M identified for conversion for a very long time now. I have the old Aerocalcas decals, but they leave a lot to be desired.

I had drawn up some artwork as well, with the hopes of getting them onto a Wolfpak Design sheet, but sadly Mark Bilas passed away before that came to fruition. This will solve my problem, and I look forward to picking this set up!

Cheers,

Hoops

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
On 07/05/2022 at 05:40, Hoops said:

Very nice!

I've had a Fujimi A-4M identified for conversion for a very long time now. I have the old Aerocalcas decals, but they leave a lot to be desired.

Cheers,

Hoops

I'm curious - what were the problems with Aerocalcas?

Cheers, Moggy

They seem quite nice. I recently ordered them in 1/72 because of Hobby 2000's rerelease of Fujimi's A-4M & OA-4M. 

The sheet arrived quickly (you can do an A-4AR and OA-4AR with a single sheet), the shipping cost however was a bit salty (21/22 USD more or less, for Europe). But it was totally worth it for me, and Juan is a very, very nice guy. ;) 

Edited by CharlieGolf2009
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, exdraken said:

Incredibly this is still Argentina's only frontline fighter

Due to unsolved territorial conflicts and a weapons embargo. Also the lack of will of the politicians to buy new material.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2022 at 11:05 AM, Moggy said:

I'm curious - what were the problems with Aerocalcas?

Cheers, Moggy

It took me a while to dig out the decals and put them next to eachother. But here is a photo:

52315069552_3ef0db50d3_b.jpg20220823_184538 by J2Hoops, on Flickr

The things that I don't like about the Aerocalcas decals are as follows:

Missing a lot of the stencils

Those stencils that are present, are VERY simplified. The emergency canopy release door is a good example. On the actual aircraft it is a rectangle with some text stenciled on it, on the Aerocalcas sheet it just a solid rectangle. Same goes for the ejection warning triangles. 

The Intake warning markings have the text only, not the background color. You could make the argument that it allows you to match the camouflage color of the background better with paint, but I am not thrilled about the idea of trimming the arrow shapes out of masking tape in 1/72 scale. Same goes for the rescue arrows.

They're not as bad as I remember them being, having not pulled them out in a long time, but I'm still not thrilled about them. That being said, the printing is a sharper than the new sheet from Calcas Del Sur, so I'll probably wind up using elements from both.

Cheers,

Hoops

Edited by Hoops
Spelling correction
  • Thanks 3

On 28/08/2022 at 01:45, Hoops said:

took me a while to dig out the decals and put them next to eachothe

One thing I can say about Aerocalcas is that they conform to the model's surface without the need of softening solutions. Calcas del Sur, though nice to work with, are impervious to softening liquids and are prone to silvering, even after being applied over a gloss base.

• Like 1