T-80 BV

I've started a Revell T-80 BV.

I'm planning this build to result in a T-80 BV under new management in Ukraine, captured by the defenders and re-purposed.

I realise the potential for controversy here so no politics please - just talk about the model, or the Mods will be forced to shut this down. Thanks in anticipation.....

y4mAg6rcTFLhD9sgGrzLo_s8Ux4STVPYapyq0ere

I'm wondering what the flaps between the front track runs are made of on the actual vehicle. (I know they're plastic on the kit.)

Are they armour plate to protect the lower front by triggering shaped-charge AT projectiles or heavy rubber like the rear side skirts appear to be?

Edited by echen
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, fatfingers said:

I think they are rubber

I think I'll thin them down a bit. They look like armour plate off the sprue!

I've been having fun with the rest of the kit too.

y4mY6PG3nMPAvWSwFDqCBL8qmcfc6-Osts1UAKEU

Some of the parts, like the turret top and bottom don't fit very well.

y4mkBcQTVOG7PbfKlhjStTbEyi5mKCT8XNdQzAlMOther parts are microscopic - like the ERA panels and their mounts.

But the turret cleaned up reasonably....

y4m18WQzj_b0Tk6rEXMUxSVzLz3kg884czUhybfO

The tracks were either

a) a link short both sides, or

b) someone put them together wrong.

But they went together after a fashion with a cardboard fill across a rear sprocket top that will be hidden anyway.

y4mTFQ3ZS1fz5NKqi8PFv7PHYBMB0-nQNGp7nFGr

The ERA got on board too - eventually........

So it's all beginning to come together.

Edited by echen
  • Like 6

I asked the same question about those flaps on the modern armour thread a few days back. The answer was that they are to reduce the dust profile which can cause problems with the turbine engine. However I've also read elsewhere that they operate as standoff armour, but as they are usually only seen to T-80s, I suspect the dust part is more likely.

I have the matchbox boxing of this and was going to do it for the matchbox group build but current events put me off. I have built the trumpeter version recently and am planning on giving it Ukrainian digital camo, once I get the right sized masks for 1/72.

Looks pretty good, I will be following along.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

current events put me off

I don't normally build modern armour but current events inspired me to start this quick-build. It'll be a T-80 BV with the "Z" markings all but erased and blue/yellow panels fore and aft to ensure recognition as being under new management in tribute to President Zelenskys' finest.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, echen said:

I don't normally build modern armour but current events inspired me to start this quick-build. It'll be a T-80 BV with the "Z" markings all but erased and blue/yellow panels fore and aft to ensure recognition as being under new management in tribute to President Zelenskys' finest.

Sounds like a plan, I've also seen Ukrainian t-80s with blue tape wrapped round the extractor to aid identification. 

• Thanks 1

I've built the kit so far in separate units for painting purposes.

A start on the running gear with base colour on the wheels and tracks. The tyres will be last before weathering.

Before that I plan to add some bare track colour where the wheels would rub and along the edges where the sprockets would wear the paint away. Penultimate step will be brown/black/khaki mottling and dry earth/talcum powder to simulate mud deposits around the edges.

y4m0Jsot9H2z7PAR5XzwDWv4vubPAdhsvfE9UlIs

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

A little progress

y4mUN4kVqZ19dSKKAW6qF_WEfXAw-6i_vQKAweio

Partially erased "Z" markings and hastily applied blue and yellow recognition panels.

y4m2zdyX4WydNvU2nT1MNGMm_wHCLppS8VksgDKg

That fuel drum needs some attention - didn't notice til I posted the pic!

y4mPPlCc6FWRCYBqH6bE4go4VPFvXBaYH1ho4h9p

and the beginnings of some muddy deposits - but still lots to do - it's just finding time that's the issue at present.

The whole thing is still dismantlable for painting purposes.

Edited by echen
  • Like 8

"That fuel drum needs some attention - didn't notice til I posted the pic!"

It's handy when you notice it early during work in progress. I've done it when I've posted something in an RFI and then the photos show a glaring error.😳

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Nearly ready for final weathering,

y4m7-WRUsiOjeH2VlN3KD-CSv2UBuL3D6vn9wJHV

y4m2-GP_IMBCJr7hQxsrbTk1DSeM1jKNGyFhSQs0

y4mxCwk0p6YESxpPlsntzufY5MDgo8x5DHKU_Zba

Still a few items to address but nearly there methinks.

I want to get this off the bench so I can finish my Pz II, My Tiger I Ausf E, my Dragon Wagon and R100 etc.....

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

That's looking great mate. The flags and smeared Zs work really well.

1 hour ago, Milan Mynar said:

Looks very well built and painted.

@Stef N. @Milan MynarThanks folks, much appreciated.

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Looking good! Respect for working with this tiny kit.

Thanks @Maddoxx77. The LHS ERA went on a bit wonky but I put it down to a second hand T80BV with one previous not so careful owner. 🙂

• Like 1

Gave the whole T80 a coat of lighthouse paint. Humbrol acrylic 160 red-brown.

y4m1lRuWJfyx8BhUJRCmqNkybOIwmWcQmR6C6tq5 I think it's toned things down a little but there's still, disappointingly, much to do.

I painted the HMG on the turret and drilled the gun muzzle to 1.6mm. I added "steel" to the ends of the track links, the high points on the link faces and all the guide horns I could access but the weathering, I think, still needs work.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

This looks good, but I wasn't aware that the Russians were using the BV in Ukraine.  BV3, yes, but I was not aware of the BV.  Do you have photos?

Whats a BV3? Think you might be getting t-72 and t-80 models mixed up. There is plenty of photographic evidence of Russian T-80BVs being used, check out https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/02/attack-on-europe-documenting-equipment.html which has links to photographic evidence.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, echen said:

Gave the whole T80 a coat of lighthouse paint. Humbrol acrylic 160 red-brown.

y4m1lRuWJfyx8BhUJRCmqNkybOIwmWcQmR6C6tq5 I think it's toned things down a little but there's still, disappointingly, much to do.

I painted the HMG on the turret and drilled the gun muzzle to 1.6mm. I added "steel" to the ends of the track links, the high points on the link faces and all the guide horns I could access but the weathering, I think, still needs work.

Great work Echen.

A little more work.

y4mwFqVk6M3w-FHwSlajQSAcYpT3LbHIwRqGuORh

y4mRd0qkVjM0yZipP9vxRBRP-ch3Bd08nmqDZrm3

y4mrLZNzu0ADeVgeLQdV8RamJlLLQoMophzIcJd8

Not sure if this is done yet. Looking at the pix I note the missing soot stains around the exhaust outlet and 120mm muzzle and wonder if some of the mud splashes need breaking up with another colour. I also notice that the turret-top optics are still green cam and the HMG muzzle needs matt black inside.

A second lighthouse coat might be in order but I'm wary of losing the contrast too much.

Thanks to @TheyJammedKenny! and @sardaukar for the above comments. I only looked up reference for the Ukrainian markings- or rather, I found a pic and thought I'd do a captured T 80BV.Not very scientific I'm afraid. :S

Edited by echen
tiepo
  • Like 5