Panzer IV Ausf. J Made in Austria

Hallo

This kit is the interior RFM in 1/35. Aftermarket are the track chains from Friul.

The built was quite straight forward.

I know already this tank quite well, not well enough to make mistakes.

The assembly process is quite different to the MiniArt kit.

This I will build next. I built the H Version already from MiniArt.

Some parts are missing in the kit, like the two towing cables.

I have only two grommets of proper size for one cable.

Some other details are to question, but I have no clue who is right. MiniArt or RFM.

The camo was a struggle.

The green was to dark first, now think it is too bright.

On the other hand it was spring time in Germany, when this tank was used.

Well see by yourself.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy modelli´ng

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dov said:

Too clean yes, I will try to get it down a little bit. But how?

Happy modelling

Easy just start with some chipping then follow with filters and a pin wash,you can also use oils to blend all the colours together.. finish with dust and mud.

There are lots of videos on YouTube,look for Martin Kovac Nightshift his technique is amazing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dov said:

Too clean yes, I will try to get it down a little bit. But how?

If it was mine it would be a pin wash and an overall spray of very dilute dark earth or similar, which would help the details pop and also tone it down. And then a bit of dust and dirt using pigments. I'd leave out the chipping - this vehicle was a few months, perhaps only weeks old. Have fun! 

• Like 1

That's a clean build. If i can make a suggestion? Try and take a few pictures with a neutral background, grey or white. Then look at the pictures and see for yourself where you could enhance the look by applieing filters. I would also do a pinwash, a heavely diluted burned umber color, just to make the highlights pop and create shadows. All this will make the vehicle more interesting to look at. You did a great job with the build itself and the paintjob looks fine too. Now it's time to challenge yourself. And don't be affraid of making mistakes. When using enamels or oils you can correct mistakes with clean thinner. And with acrylics just use a damp brush. Go slow, take your time doing one segment at a time. And most of all, enjoy the process of seeing your build come to life! 😀

Good luck! 👍👍👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

That's a clean build. If i can make a suggestion? Try and take a few pictures with a neutral background, grey or white. Then look at the pictures and see for yourself where you could enhance the look by applieing filters. I would also do a pinwash, a heavely diluted burned umber color, just to make the highlights pop and create shadows. All this will make the vehicle more interesting to look at. You did a great job with the build itself and the paintjob looks fine too. Now it's time to challenge yourself. And don't be affraid of making mistakes. When using enamels or oils you can correct mistakes with clean thinner. And with acrylics just use a damp brush. Go slow, take your time doing one segment at a time. And most of all, enjoy the process of seeing your build come to life! 😀

Good luck! 👍👍👍

Great suggestions Maddoxx!   @dov, the tank turned out really well Dov, and with a bit of weathering, it will really pop.   I'm in the middle of just my third tank build and am still learning as I go.   Lot's of good advice has been given so far and while I know how difficult it is to just "jump in" and start trying new techniques, it will really help!   Good luck, and maybe post some "after" pics later?  :)

• Like 1

Nice work @dov . As other already suggested, this model definitely deserve some weathering to bring it to life.

What I would do is keep it simple for start and just do two things:

1. Tone it down a bit. It is very simple thing to do that makes model look much more realistic and to lose "toy look". I used two different approaches to do this. One is to mist the whole model with very diluted light paint (Tamiya buff for example). Just be careful not to overdo it (do it in few passes). Also, you can add more layers at the lower parts of the model, because that's where dust will accumulate more. The other approach I use is to mist pigments diluted in enamels, like this one: https://www.migjimenez.com/en/ammo-paints/154-light-dust.html It will produce similar result, but it is easier to control and to remove it with a brush dump in enamel spirit.
  2. After the step one, leave the model to dry for a day and add some pigments. For start, don't bother with pigment fixer, etc. Just rub them here and there with an old brush and blow off the excess. You can use two different pigments (lighter and darker) to add some variety, for example https://www.migjimenez.com/en/ammo-paints/170-ammo-pigment-europe-earth.html and https://www.migjimenez.com/en/ammo-paints/247-russian-earth.html

Of course, there are as many weathering approaches as there are modelers and for sure there's no the right one, and this is just an example how I stared with weathering.

Cheers,

Nenad

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1