HK Models 1/32 Mosquito B Mk.IV

My 2nd big Mossie. 1st was the beautiful Tamiya, which I compromised with my clumsy 1st attempt with the magic scale modelling light & sound stuff. It recently crashed (from my bookcase) and I decided to rehouse it’s pilots in another mossie, and have another crack at motorising one. The HKM kit is much simpler & lends itself much better to the minor surgery needed to fit the electronics, but more importantly you can fit the motor in axis with the propeller; not possible with the Tamiya imo. The HKM kit does have what I’d call semi-detailed merlins, but only the side cowls are removable, and after building the Tamiya versions I decided these weren’t worth the effort so she’s sealed.

The 2 standing resin figures were included with the kit- I nearly forgot them & wasn’t till I was about to throw the box away that I thought why not; I’m definitely no figure painter but I think they complement the scene quite well, even though they’re within inches of doom from the props…

Apart from the electronics & most of the Tamiya cockpit & crew it’s out of the box(!) Painted with Tamiya acrylics. Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

jyeLISB.mp4

(not sure if the soundtrack carried over with the link but there is one)

Just a bit of fun below; the iPhone filter “dramatic warm” gives them “WW2 in colour” vibe I feel

spacer.png

edit: few more of the Mossie underside & cockpit 

spacer.png

spacer.png

for what it’s worth I forgot to mention I scratchbuilt those big coloured fisher-price activity centre knobs on the transmitter behind the navigator. The kit part had a flat front with etched circles I didn’t like. The receiver was recovered from the wreckage of the crew’s former ride, the Tamiya FB IV

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Notty
Few more pics
  • Like 56
  • Thanks 1

When I saw the first photo my initial thought was that you had cheated and either used photoshop or just taken a photo of a real one.  Amazingly well done!  

• Like 1

I hate gimmicks like this. So why am I smiling so much and grinning with pleasure at your engine starting sequence? Because it really works for me. 

This is a diorama pared down to the essentials, aeroplane, airfield and two good figures. All the rest, the background, the ground crew, and so on is there in my imagination. I have a good imagination and the ‘missing details’ are as good as your aircraft and crew, which are very good indeed. 

It’s a brilliant demonstration of the principle of ‘less is more’ applied to dioramas. And as I have just finished a crowded over-detailed diorama of my own, I thank you for the lesson. 

• Like 1

Looks great. Good job. The two crew figures are a nice addition; fig 1 "What do you reckon to egg and chips with a couple of beers? My shout."  fig 2 "Too right, Cobber." And the propellers spin, essential feature of a proper model aeroplane since I was 6 years old. But you don't have to blow on yours. Their blur looks very effective in the pics. I have one of these in the cupboard that I'm tempted to render PR blue.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Looks great. Good job. The two crew figures are a nice addition. And the propellers spin, essential feature of a proper model aeroplane since I was 6 years old. But you don't have to blow on yours. I have one in the cupboard that I'm tempted to render PR blue.

PRU Blue is good or even... PRU 'Pink'? now that would be a challenge and look .. extraordinary Maginot.. 

PRU 'Pink'? now that would be a challenge and look .. extraordinary Maginot.. 

Agree, Col, cept I haven't yet located pic or drawing of a pink Mossie. There's certainly no reference to one in Mosquito Photo-Reconnaissance Units of World War 2.

photo-recce-Mossies-small.jpg

Scuse us hijacking your post, Notty, but you will stimulate dialogue 🤓

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I hate gimmicks like this. So why am I smiling so much and grinning with pleasure at your engine starting sequence? Because it really works for me. 

😀 though my heart sank a bit when I first started reading (though actually, I get it- this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and it is gimmicky) I really enjoyed your comments, although it wasn’t designed as a diorama, once I’d painted the figures they just looked nice on the base I already had with the Mossie! I’m going to look for your dio now. Thank you.

45 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Scuse us hijacking your post, Notty, but you will stimulate dialogue 🤓

Absolutely no problem! I agree there are too many lovely looking schemes for this ac I’d like to do another of these with the top camo black lower. I did agonise.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Notty said:

😀 though my heart sank a bit when I first started reading (though actually, I get it- this isn’t everyone’s cup of tea and it is gimmicky) I really enjoyed your comments, although it wasn’t designed as a diorama, once I’d painted the figures they just looked nice on the base I already had with the Mossie! I’m going to look for your dio now. Thank you.

Gotcha for a few seconds then.  😃 

I haven't posted my diorama yet. While the simplicity of yours helped me see the flaw in mine it also discouraged me a tad. I'll do it later tonight, promise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Maginot.. i think i'm having a senior moment..  was it some PRU Spits that were pink' uns ? if so maybe my suggestion falls under a 'What If ?' category. 

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy, yes you’re correct about the Spits. I’ve never seen a pink Mosquito!

That is a beautifully built Mossie. The scheme just suits it too. Also impressed with your figure painting skill 👍

As you’ve done the Tamiya and HK B.IV’s, that just leaves the Revell one to do 😈 I’m working may way through that one…..

Trevor

• Like 1