VC10C1 based on Roden VC10?

Just wondering, would converting the Roden Super VC10 (Type 1151) into a VC10 C1 be possible? I know obviously the fuselage needs shortening but I don't know so much about other details which may need to be changed. 

10 minutes ago, AMB said:

Good grief, you do make things difficult!  Surely better to get hold of an Airfix VC10 kit to start with? 

Difficult? I think you mean fun. This would be right up my street considering what I like to do to Vulcan kits

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AMB said:

Good grief, you do make things difficult!  Surely better to get hold of an Airfix VC10 kit to start with? 

Not really, the Airfix kit is based on G-ARTA which differed significantly from the BOAC Stabdards and the RAF's V.1106s.

The BOAC V.101s differed from the V.1106s in not having the wet fin (different skin and access panel layout), main deck cargo door and increased chord on the inboard 60%(?) of the wings.  I think the Airfix kit lacks the extended span wing tips introduced to reduce drag and definitely lacks the later engine pylons that feature increased AoA and dihedral as installed on the V.1106s.  Other mods that need doing on the Airfix kit are the wing fences, engine exhaust fairings and cockpit eyebrow windows.

I'm sure I've missed a shedload of stuff, hopefully someone like @bzn20 will be along soon to provide correction where needed.

17 hours ago, stever219 said:

The BOAC V.101s differed from the V.1106s in not having the wet fin (different skin and access panel layout), main deck cargo door and increased chord on the inboard 60%(?) of the wings.  I think the Airfix kit lacks the extended span wing tips introduced to reduce drag and definitely lacks the later engine pylons that feature increased AoA and dihedral as installed on the V.1106s.  Other mods that need doing on the Airfix kit are the wing fences, engine exhaust fairings and cockpit eyebrow windows.

So what out of this applies to the Roden kit?

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

So what out of this applies to the Roden kit?

Not a lot old fruit!  I was originally replying to @AMB's post where he suggested using the Airfix kit.

If you're using the Roden V. 1151 kit not only are you going to have to shorten the fuselage but you'll need to eliminate the port rear service door just ahead of the engines and you're going to have to introduce a new passenger door on the port side just ahead of the wing, and the main deck freight door between that and the standard port forward door.  Without looking just now I'm not sure if you'll have to alter the wing fences but at least you won't have to add the inboard leading edge extensions.

On 5/6/2022 at 1:00 PM, stever219 said:

using the Airfix kit

BTW 1st flight of the Prototype VC10 G-ARTA is 60 years ago 29th of June  (next month ! ).

This is probably better than shortening a Super fuselage  , modifying the right wing root  trailing edge fairing etc.. 

Braz do the Inboard leading edge extensions for all VC10s including the Prototype G-ARTA/OD-AFA except the original BOAC Standards ( G-ARVA-RVM ) 

Bra.Z Models Aircraft engines - BZ4040 | Hannants

Stub wing /engine combo for the original RAF order of 14  VC10 C.Mk1s  and 1K  XR806-XR810 and XV101-XV109

Bra.Z Models Aircraft detailing - BZ4041 | Hannants

Braz also did the inboard wing fence too . Although these are for a Super but some it will be common to both 

Metallic Details Aircraft detailing - MDMD14412 | Hannants

Decals will take care of the freight door . The fin tank has extra panels for access to the fuel tank as you said but the fins  look the same except for those . Wing tips might be a problem unless................ Does the Airfix K2 Tanker kit have the correct 3 foot longer wing / 6ft span increase ? Anyway I thought somebody did the tips as an after market add on or did I dream that ?

Anything else you need to know Stever ? 219 was my RAF Appo entry . Were you in 219 ? 

Edited by bzn20
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Anything's possible but couldn't you get one of the other Roden  kits with a Standard Fuselage length .. Then the wings will be wrong probably  . Short answer is , Correct wings . The shortening of the Fuselage would give you a nightmare around the trailing edge fuse/wing join . It's different on the right side ( shorter ) to the C.Mk 1 because of the rear freight bay door is on the left Super is Right . 

11 hours ago, bzn20 said:

couldn't you get one of the other Roden  kits with a Standard Fuselage length

Which one? as far as I know all the Roden VC10's have the same Super fuselage. The only change to the moulds was the addition of tanker parts.

3 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Which one?

Sorry I thought they did a standard fuselage . 

22 minutes ago, Cyberduck said:

Both the K3 and K4 have no large forward cargo doors in the fuselage.

The K4s are ex BA so never had them  . The Four K3s are ex East African and still have them fitted ,sealed , door Jack removed and locked shut . So a Cabin Freight Door Decal would be required for K3s ZA147-ZA150 inc 

On 24/07/2022 at 13:46, Cyberduck said:

I believe the question should be, I have a cheap Roden kit how do I make a VC10 C1 out of it?

Basically yes. I have a Roden VC10 how do I make a C1 out of it? 

Even though there's also the Airfix kit which is probably an easier starting point it seems, the challenge of the conversion appeals to me. 

• 2 weeks later...