How many builds at one time are you comfortable with?

Bertie McBoatface

Knowing how the BM community vary so much on almost every subject, I was wondering how many builds we each prefer to have in progress at one time? And how many we ACTUALLY have?😁

Personally, three is too many for me and when that happens, through misjudgement or GB deadlines, I feel quite hassled. I don't know who exactly is hassling me so it must be myself, but I don't like it. I sometimes box up one of the projects and put it into a 'paused pending completion of X' pile. This is very different to a shelf of doom and is an active decision rather than a passive loss of interest.

On the other hand, I haven't worked on only one at a time for decades. I tell myself that I like to be able to choose what to do at any particular time in order  to give myself a change or a rest. However, thinking about this today, I'm wondering whether I use the 'other' project as a way of avoiding difficult or tedious parts of the 'main' build. That doesn't seem to be quite so useful, particularly since I've been doing it without knowing why. I can easily have two projects stalling at some less interesting part, and what should I do then? Start another one? That way would definitely cause me to have a shelf of doom!

I'm about to finish a long project and I'm about half-way through another one. Once I'm down to only one, I'm going to try to finish that one before beginning anything else, just to see what it feel like.

What do you think?

• Like 3

I like to have at least two on the go a this way I'm less tempted to rush on with model X when I should wait a bit longer for paint to dry. Having model Y to hand means I usually have something else to be working on. In practice, this often leads to me starting model Z as it often turns out that X and Y are both drying at the same time! I'm comfortable with 3 models 'in progress'. More than that gets confusing, so sometimes they are put in a pending pile - these may or may not end up on the shelf of doom!

Cheers

Colin

• Like 2

Always more than one, ya gotta have something to work on while parts are sticking or paint drying.

Unless, of course, I find a new stash candidate which never makes the stash, but hits the workbench in a fit of excitement, then it could be three in various states of bodgery............

Rog 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One on the bench. 

One, possibly two, on the 'half built but still being done' shelf.

Several in the 'half built and bored with' cupboard.

At least one shiny new kit in the post.

• Like 1

Usually one at a time.

Couple of exceptions,if I'm waiting for a piece of AM,paint,or items that I can't progress on the build.

Or,like when I was building Akagi,a big project,I set it aside so I wouldn't get burned out and did something simple for a little.

But normally for me,there's no reason to fo more then one at a time.

• Like 1

I am quite strict about having one project on the go at a time. I have a very small dedicated corner to work in though, and limited space is the main issue I have. Also, I am a very slow builder. I do find it easy to fall into the trap of getting sidetracked. I'll often read a book, and fancy making a kit relevent to that account (A lot of WW1 and WW2 aviation). As I read books far more quickly than I build, I can have several potential projects in the pipeline while one build progresses at a glacial pace! Keeping mojo up isn't easy. But the alternative of having half a dozen half completed projects isn't something I'd like to entertain.

• Like 2

The size of the project is an important point that I didn't consider earlier. Some projects are so big and complex, that there's always something to do. If the paint is drying on the hull of my boat, I can be busy with the deck furniture, the spars or the sails. In a way that's like having four smaller models in progress.

I have one on the go until I get to the paint stage of the build then I will start another to fill the time between the various stages in the painting process.

Cheeers

Dennis

Well Im at 13 on my desk right now, the most Ive ever had. My previous best was 12, when I find a # Im not comfortable I will let you know. Considering the Century fighters and Revellogram classic group builds are coming in June. I expect the number on my desk to creep up another 3-4 builds. 

• Like 1

Usually two plus odd work on a third. But if it is a large aircraft, then I will concentrate on that. I have had had four on the go at once, but I didn't enjoy it very much. 

I will often have two builds in progress, but one gets less work than the other. At the moment for example, I am concentrating on a Twin Otter, but an Airfix Superfreighter is at heel. Then my wife put in a request for a build that is, shall I say, somewhat unusual, so now I have three! By the way, in case there are people of a nervous disposition, the 'unusual' bit is a colour scheme on a P-47M Thunderbolt, not anything more untoward...

When I finish the one kit, the one 'at heel' then takes priority and then another is started to act as a backup.

Basically, usually, two - to answer the question!

Ray

One. Only every one project at a time. The discipline ensures I actually finish stuff.

Occasionally a project might involve batch building (I made 4 A-4s simultaneously in 2020), but it's only ever one project.

Jon

Generally one, although it can get as high as 2 concurrent builds

No more than that, but there is generally a queue, organised thus

5 may

As of now, the top one is the current build (Matchbox GB)

The rest may or may not show up in other GBs

The bottom box contains the detritus from my last build and is awaiting scrappage.

/P

11 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

Generally one, although it can get as high as 2 concurrent builds

No more than that, but there is generally a queue, organised thus

5 may

As of now, the top one is the current build (Matchbox GB)

The rest may or may not show up in other GBs

The bottom box contains the detritus from my last build and is awaiting scrappage.

/P

Well now, that's very interesting.

y4myxfVSGOdpoAkII2geBDWGLXxNvGxSDFMgp4BG

Top shelf is the boat. Three of the blue boxes were/are full of Archer and the bottom left blue box is the next scheduled project (which may be cancelled now that I'm going to try single minded boat building until that's done.

Not quite as organised as you Peter, but the principle is the same. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sinnerboy said:

sometimes one or SoD go to AiG (Airgun in Garden) 🙂

I never had an airgun. I did occasionally get some French Bangers though!

755465-illegal-french-fireworks-0.jpg

Usually two or maybe three.  I have had four on the go and it was too many - basically there was always an excuse to faff and fiddle rather than actually getting on and making some concrete progress with something.

Unfortunately I've packed my two current builds and my one SoD build away for moving house so there's no work happening at the moment.  Even more unfortunately it looks as though I won't get any space at all in the new house to build my kits.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that, really.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, jackroadkill said:

Even more unfortunately it looks as though I won't get any space at all in the new house to build my kits.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that, really.

If it were me, I wouldn’t go. 😠

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Usually two or maybe three.  I have had four on the go and it was too many - basically there was always an excuse to faff and fiddle rather than actually getting on and making some concrete progress with something.

That’s exactly what I do. 

As of today I’m down to one project. Will it rocket ahead? No idea, but it will be interesting to find out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

If it were me, I wouldn’t go. 😠

If I had any choice in the matter I wouldn't leave this house, but unfortunately my landlord needs it for his son and daughter-in-law, so we have to go.

• Sad 2

7 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

If I had any choice in the matter I wouldn't leave this house, but unfortunately my landlord needs it for his son and daughter-in-law, so we have to go.

The perils of private rentals. What a blow. 🙁