RFM StuG III ausf. G early with full interior.

Workbench update.

Last night and today i made a lot of progress. 

First i tackeled the problem with the front hull plate. It turned out the sollution was much more simple as i thought. I sanded the side  and dryfitted the upper plate. With a bit more sanding the gap dissapeared.

20220518_114339

I then adressed the mounts on the inside for the gearbox. I cut them loose and placed the gearbox  lining it out, then i placed the mounts back.

Problem solved 👍😀

Then i started the priming of the hull. I used AK black primer.

While that was drying i started with the assembly of the main gun. That was really enjoyable. Everything fitted together nicely.

20220518_104705

Today i started painting the hull in the brown red color. After that i started weathering. I used the same techniques as with the engine segment. A burned umber oil wash and then a dotfilter with white. 

20220518_113951 20220518_114031

After that stage was done i did the white interior color and i fitted the gearbox and engine compartement in place. 

20220518_114349 20220518_143941

I painted some highlights and did the driver seat. 

I did a bright green dotfilter on the top of the gearbox. And i dryfitted the floor. 

20220518_145628

Tonight i'll start working on the main gun and the floor. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 11

Here are two photos for you. The first is from an early G at Munster and the second is from a mid G at Meppen. I can't tell you much more about how far they were into the rebuild because most of the book is Japanese with only little bits in English. The book is from 95 so it may have been very early stages.

p?i=532ef2ba9ce2f94261ad943c9b014f88

p?i=01ee2e7de002e78c7ddec3b3dd3b676b

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Here are two photos for you. The first is from an early G at Munster and the second is from a mid G at Meppen. I can't tell you much more about how far they were into the rebuild because most of the book is Japanese with only little bits in English. The book is from 95 so it may have been very early stages.

p?i=532ef2ba9ce2f94261ad943c9b014f88

p?i=01ee2e7de002e78c7ddec3b3dd3b676b

Tnx @Stef N. this is so helpfull!!!

• Like 1

A small update from the workbench.

I didn't had much time due to other projects.

We are renovating the backyard and that's a big project. Also i suffered a back injury during judo training so i couldn't sit very long. It's getting better thanks to the fysio therapist who is getting my back in to shape for the black belt exam next week.

I managed to get some progress on some parts. I worked on the main gun. Using the photo's @Stef N. send me. They were very helpfull in deciding the colorscheme.

Here is the result so far.

20220522_115508 20220522_115452 20220522_122525

I placed it for a testfit. And it looks pretty good so far. 

Apart from that i did some work on small bits that go on the side walls and putting together the first ammo rack and primed everything. Soon i have to paint a million granades 🤣

Anyway, that's it for now.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 8

20 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Soon i have to paint a million granades

I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate!🤣

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, echen said:

I've told you a billion times not to exaggerate!🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣 ok, actualy it's like 50 but it feels like a million!!!! 

The fun part is, most of them can't be seen 🤣🤣🤣

Full interior builds are for masochistic builders! 🤪🤪🤪🤪

• Haha 1

Progress update. Last two days i worked on the upper structure. The front top hull plate and the upperside of the crew compartement.

I'm getting used to tiny parts, over complicated engineering and planning six steps ahead. 

20220526_215525

Still in doubt if i wil leave the hatches on the hull plate open. So for now they are loosely fitted. 

All the radio equipment has bin fitted in.

20220526_213951

I also removed the engine because there were fitting issues. When the engine was removed i replaced the bulkhead and dryfitted the upper structure again. Looks good.

20220526_220204

Next steps for the comming days will be priming and painting the inside of the upper structure and the inside of the front plate. Refit the engine. And then i'll start working on the granades and the tracks. 

I'll keep you guys posted!

Cheers!!! 👍👍👍

• Like 6

Small update.

Been working on the interior. Chipping is done. Now for some washes, filters, streaking and some pigments.

20220527_124444 20220527_124434 20220527_124453

Radio's need some detailing and the ammo needs to be added.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 8

Hi Maddoxx,

Very good job so far, IMHO, I think it's going to turn out really well for you in the end...
I hope that your injury goes better, and that you have achieved your black belt... 🤼‍♂️ after reading this, you have to be very careful when commenting , and that the criticism is constructive...😅...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Thanks 1

On 29/05/2022 at 19:25, FrancisGL said:

Hi Maddoxx,

Very good job so far, IMHO, I think it's going to turn out really well for you in the end...
I hope that your injury goes better, and that you have achieved your black belt... 🤼‍♂️ after reading this, you have to be very careful when commenting , and that the criticism is constructive...😅...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

Tnx @FrancisGL my back is getting better. Sadly the belt exam was no complete succes. In November we have to go back and do the Kata part again.

the build so far is getting there slowly. I have to carefully plan my steps. Really take my time with this one. 

20 hours ago, Patrykd said:

In my opinion it looks like russians have attacked the interior with the hamers. You have overdone the chipping effects. 

I know it looks a bit overdone. I've seen interior pics of StuG's that seen action at the battle of Kursk and they looked hammered on the in and outside. This will get toned down a bit. These pics are from chipping only. There are no washes, streaking effects etc. done yet. 

Also there will be aditional ammo racks that have yet to be placed. So a lot of what you see now will be covered up once the model is finished.

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 4

Workbench update. The interior is comming together. Weathering, streaking, dirt deposits and the stowage/ammo are added. Radio's and equipement have been detailed. 

The harsh chipping you saw in earlier photo's is toned down and, for me, it looks good so far.... 

20220531_122815 20220531_122801 20220531_122744 20220531_122704 20220531_122722

I dry fitted the upper hull to check if all the segments come together colorwise and to check the overal look. 

For now i'll leave the interior and focus on the exterior..... soon i'll start with the tracks and drivetrain. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 12

All those additional items certainly tone down the chipping - moving the items around the compartment would definitely contribute to the chipping. :goodjob:

Edited by echen
  • Like 1

HI Maddoxx,

I admit that I thought at first that there was too much chipping, but the next second, I realized that there would still be many pieces to fit, which would hide much of the interior space, as well as the next weathering processes that would attenuate the final result, and I didn't comment anything in that sense... I see that I wasn't wrong (it's obvious) and that you yourself corroborated it with the answers to some mates.
Nice job!.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

HI Maddoxx,

I admit that I thought at first that there was too much chipping, but the next second, I realized that there would still be many pieces to fit, which would hide much of the interior space, as well as the next weathering processes that would attenuate the final result, and I didn't comment anything in that sense... I see that I wasn't wrong (it's obvious) and that you yourself corroborated it with the answers to some mates.
Nice job!.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Tnx @FrancisGL

As i'm still learning i take all the comments to heart. Always trying to achieve better results. 

Chipping is a thing of it's own. And i am a long way of mastering it. 

In this build i tried to plan my steps. So the chipping was one step. And the photo's looked overdone indeed. 

I knew what look i was aiming for. So i had to do it this way because i knew how much it would be toned down in the end. 

That beeing said, it is difficult to find balance in such a crammed space. And it's easy to go overboard. 

What i still need to learn ( as you pointed out in another build ) is the size of the chips. I'm working to big. 

But hey, there is a world of models out there, waiting to be build. So many chances to improve myself.  So maybe in the future there comes a time when i can say i master the ( subtle ) chipping technique 👍😀

Cheers!👍👍👍

• Like 2

It's looking very good 77. Can I ask; are you going to display it so that the upper hull can be removed, so that all of the work on the interior can be seen, or will the interior only be visible through open hatches?

John. 

22 hours ago, Patrykd said:

on rear wall are visible ejection pin marks. It should be removed before painting. Now is too late :(

You are absolutley right... that's a big mistake i made..... 😔😔😔

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's looking very good 77. Can I ask; are you going to display it so that the upper hull can be removed, so that all of the work on the interior can be seen, or will the interior only be visible through open hatches?

John. 

I haven't decided yet but i think i will go for the open hatches. Maybe in the future i will add one or two figures.....

• Like 1