RFM StuG III ausf. G early with full interior.

8 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It looks epic!

Are those round things bottom right, more ammunition?

Yes, that's extra ammo storage. The bulkhead between the engine and the fighting compartment has an opening on the right lower side. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Yes, that's extra ammo storage. The bulkhead between the engine and the fighting compartment has an opening on the right lower side. 

You learn a lot from these. Even from watching. I'll never forget that it's a ten cylinder engine after seeing those plugs.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

You learn a lot from these. Even from watching. I'll never forget that it's a ten cylinder engine after seeing those plugs.

🤣🤣🤣🤣 i think the plugs will haunt me in my dreams for the next couple of weeks.

45 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Really nice work so far - impressive detail

Rob

Tnx man. 

Little progress update. 

Started working on the driver compartment.

Lot's of little parts to clean up very carefully. 

20220514_141436 20220514_141428

I put the bulkhead and the motor compartement in to check the fit. 

20220514_141902

It's a challenge to get it in. I'm thinking of sanding back some parts to get a better fit.

So far i think RFM is overcomplicating some parts. @FrancisGL you said it. 

Maybe in the future i will try a interior kit from Takom or Miniart to compare. I've seen photo's of the Miniart StuG III and it seems they achieve the same result with simpeler engineering of parts. 

Also i discovered another flaw in this kit: some parts have their ejector pinmarks on places that need to fit in another part. So it's very complex to clean up without affecting the fit. Also some parts are attached to the sprue in the same manner. 

It's not all bad tough, i'm still enjoying myself putting this kit together. And everytime i finish a segment it feels like a little victory. A few months ago i would dream of building something complex like this. 

I'll keep you guys posted!

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Maddoxx77 said:

It's not all bad tough, i'm still enjoying myself putting this kit together. And everytime i finish a segment it feels like a little victory. A few months ago i would dream of building something complex like this. 

And that paragraph explains why we all do this. 😄

• Like 3

Last update.

Transmission complete. A complex build. But i'm getting used to that. The fit is not quite as it should be. All is dry fitted in to place. 

Next week i'll start painting and weathering the engine and the transmission. I'll also will do the hull and the driver compartment. After that all can be installed.

20220514_154639 20220514_164121 20220514_164741

I'll keep you guys posted!

Cheers!👍👍👍

• Like 11

Seems like you're having some little issues, but it's look really good mate. Defiantly a kit I'll look for in future, but as you say maybe check out the Miniart one. I'd lie to know your overall opinion at the end. Painting it looks to be a mamouth task as it does have quite a lot of detail. I have a Jagdpanther on the cards next, with the same issues.

• Like 1

Hi Maddoxx, 

I would have liked to have been wrong this time...lol, but I see that anyway, you are doing a great job, who said fear?...lol...
What I like least about the kits with interior, apart from the fact that the immense work may not be seen afterwards, is that you have to mix the assembly phases with the painting phase, that is, to continue building from the inside out, you have to paint a lot of interior pieces, to be able to continue with the rest...
If my table is already overflowing in the middle of the assembly process, when it's time for painting... that's why both of them... My God, give me patience...:think:
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

On 15/05/2022 at 12:58, Redcoat2966 said:

Seems like you're having some little issues, but it's look really good mate. Defiantly a kit I'll look for in future, but as you say maybe check out the Miniart one. I'd lie to know your overall opinion at the end. Painting it looks to be a mamouth task as it does have quite a lot of detail. I have a Jagdpanther on the cards next, with the same issues.

On 15/05/2022 at 14:27, FrancisGL said:

Hi Maddoxx, 

I would have liked to have been wrong this time...lol, but I see that anyway, you are doing a great job, who said fear?...lol...
What I like least about the kits with interior, apart from the fact that the immense work may not be seen afterwards, is that you have to mix the assembly phases with the painting phase, that is, to continue building from the inside out, you have to paint a lot of interior pieces, to be able to continue with the rest...
If my table is already overflowing in the middle of the assembly process, when it's time for painting... that's why both of them... My God, give me patience...:think:
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

23 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That is exactly what I find difficult to organise with interior kits. 🤔

Absolutely. This kit needs to be planned. I've divided the kit in to segments. Engine, transmission, interior, exterior, hull, weels and tracks. So i'm building one segment, dryfit as much as possible and then paint it, weather it if necessary. 

Still a lot of back and forth and ofcourse mistakes are made but i'm learning to tackle more complex kits as i go along. 

• Like 1

Workbench update. 

I did some painting and weathering of the engine segment and the gearbox segment.

I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

20220516_104907

I used the Ammo mig german interior set. Btw, Ammo mig acrylic paint is top stuff!!! 

After airbrushing i did some detail work with a fine brush. After that i aplied some filters with oil paints. 

20220516_154836 20220516_160324 20220516_160358 20220516_160344 20220516_162058

Maybe some touch ups here and there are needed but for now these segments are done. 

Tomorow i'll get my black primer so then i can work on the hull. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Seem's you have a handle on it so far Maddox.......nice weathering on the parts..:yes:

Tnx mate. I still have to paint the ammo stowage on the front of the engine segment. And some oil and fuel stains, but so far i'm a happy modeller 👍😀

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Workbench update. 

I did some painting and weathering of the engine segment and the gearbox segment.

I'm pretty happy with the result so far.

20220516_104907

I used the Ammo mig german interior set. Btw, Ammo mig acrylic paint is top stuff!!! 

After airbrushing i did some detail work with a fine brush. After that i aplied some filters with oil paints. 

20220516_154836 20220516_160324 20220516_160358 20220516_160344 20220516_162058

Maybe some touch ups here and there are needed but for now these segments are done. 

Tomorow i'll get my black primer so then i can work on the hull. 

I'll keep you guys posted.

Cheers! 👍👍👍

That’s some classy paintwork. I’m very impressed by the effect of the oils. 

49 minutes ago, Bertie Psmith said:

That’s some classy paintwork. I’m very impressed by the effect of the oils. 

Tnx. I used a burned umber wash and after that i did a dotfilter with white. 

The result is a slightly bleached look on the redbrown parts and on the engine it takes of the "shine" of the gunmetal to give it that heated metal look. 

Still need to touch up and add some fuel and oil stains and streaks but i'm fairly happy so far.

• Like 1

Nice work so far! I wish I could dirty up engines as well as you. I've got the RFM Panzer III and just the size of the box is scary :) I know that I'll be taking my time with it when it gets onto my bench.

I don't think I've ever completed an interior kit, it is such a commitment, and like you say cleanup, test fit, cleanup, test fit, cleanup, glue, paint over and over means that all of your tools are always needed.

Worth it in the end though - at least yours will be visible!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ned said:

Nice work so far! I wish I could dirty up engines as well as you. I've got the RFM Panzer III and just the size of the box is scary :) I know that I'll be taking my time with it when it gets onto my bench.

I don't think I've ever completed an interior kit, it is such a commitment, and like you say cleanup, test fit, cleanup, test fit, cleanup, glue, paint over and over means that all of your tools are always needed.

Worth it in the end though - at least yours will be visible!

Most of my work now will be covered later..... lol 🤣

It is a commitment but i think it is worth it. I'm learning so much from this. Planning, correcting errors, adressing fitting issues, doing research. It is doing so much for me as a modelbuilder who still has a lot to learn. 

As far as the painting and weathering goes: don't be afraid to try. Push yourself. Everything you do can be corrected ( especcialy with oil paints ) 

So.... mistakes were made 😵

As i mentioned earlier i struggled with the fit of the gearbox next to the driver seat.

After a lot of thinking and looking for clues online, today i noticed something really weird. 

As i was dryfitting the front upper plate i noticed a wide gap on the front right side. 

I started meassuring and i found out that i made a mistake in the very first part of the build. 

The instruction says this:

20220517_160922

Fit part D2 and D6 on the frontside of the side plates. 

What i actually did was fitting D2 and D9..... the difference beeing D9 is for the 80mm hullplate version.

20220517_160913

I just had the sprue upside down.

The result is a wonky front plate:

20220517_160900

On the right side it's about 2mm off.....

It explanes why the gearbox doesn't want to fit correctly.

So now i have to figure out how i'm going to correct this...... wish me luck 🤪🤪🤪

• Sad 1

So, my solution will be to cut the right side with a 0,2 mm gap and then glue the front back to straighten it out. Any seamlines can be adressed with some putty. 

• Like 1