Jump to content

RFM StuG III ausf. G early with full interior.


Recommended Posts

So The StuG III......

I think this vehicle does not need an introduction so i'm not going to entertain you guys with a history lecture 😉

I bought the RFM version with full interior. 

20220505_104730 20220505_104741

And yes..... there are a lot of sprues!!! And by a lot, i mean a LOT! 

20220505_104950 20220505_105003

A first glance over the sprues show a lot of detail on the parts. On the bigger parts there is some excess sprue and there are a lot of ejector pinmarks. The plastic itself is quite soft. On the smaller parts that means i have to be very carefull. 

20220505_111933

The hull is assembled, no issues there. Lot of small parts so i took my time, dryfitting every part to make sure the fit was right. 

20220505_123320

As with all my builds i will show the progress in this build log. Feel free to tag along. 

As always your time, comments and tips are much appriciated. 

I'll keep you guys posted 👍👍👍

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sprue-tastic.😀 I will keenly follow along if you don't mind and see how you get on with this interesting project. All the best.👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, edjbartos said:

That looks like a nice model, I do like an interior build, so will follow along...

 

Ed

Welcome Ed!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Small update from the workbench:

Did some detailing on the back

20220506_114910 20220506_115010

Also the details on the side of the hull

20220506_114950 20220506_114936

Almost no issiues with the fitting of the parts. 

I'll keep you guys posted 👍👍👍

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Did some work on the StuG today. Fitted the suspension and the torsion bars.

20220508_203112

Als some small bibs and bobs on the hull

20220508_212537

After that i started working on the first parts of the engine bay. Also did a dryfit to see if there were any issues

20220508_220524 20220508_220713

So far this build is comming along nicely. No major issues, some small fitting problems but they are real easy to correct. 

It's recomendend to keep a keen eye on the instructions. RFM is showing everything from one side wich means some educated guess work on the other side. When i was fitting the suspension system it took me a while to figure out that the oposit side needed to be the other way around. 

Apart from that the instructions are pretty good.

I'll keep you guys posted 👍👍👍

  • Like 9
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jack Klugman said:

I have this kit and will be following along with interest. This is the first build log I have seen of this kit

Your very welcome Jack. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Maddoxx,

An interesting project, nice vehicle, and full of details.
You can see the number of parts included in the kit.
It really must be "stuffed" inside...lol
Nice progress....
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

It's quite a small vehicle to have the full interior treatment. I have a feeling it's going to get very crowded in there. 😱

Yuuup 🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Did some work on the StuG today. Fitted the suspension and the torsion bars.

20220508_203112

Als some small bibs and bobs on the hull

20220508_212537

After that i started working on the first parts of the engine bay. Also did a dryfit to see if there were any issues

20220508_220524 20220508_220713

So far this build is comming along nicely. No major issues, some small fitting problems but they are real easy to correct. 

It's recomendend to keep a keen eye on the instructions. RFM is showing everything from one side wich means some educated guess work on the other side. When i was fitting the suspension system it took me a while to figure out that the oposit side needed to be the other way around. 

Apart from that the instructions are pretty good.

I'll keep you guys posted 👍👍👍

Nice work Maddoxx. The quality of the kit moulding does look rather nice too.👍

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting build so far. This would a full interior kit I'd look at as you can leave the top off to actually see the interior; unlike some other's like the Panther's. Quick question. It looked like to sanded those box structures pictures above.....any reason why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Interesting build so far. This would a full interior kit I'd look at as you can leave the top off to actually see the interior; unlike some other's like the Panther's. Quick question. It looked like to sanded those box structures pictures above.....any reason why?

There was some excess plastic i had to sand off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Nice work Maddoxx. The quality of the kit moulding does look rather nice too.👍

Moulding is very good. Most parts are fairly clean. Most ejector pinmarks are on the inside and while i said in the beginning the plastic is rather soft, it's not so soft that it breaks easely so that's good. 

The biggest challenge so far are the small parts and my sausage like fingers 🤣

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Milan Mynar said:

It looks like ultimate kit.

So far i really like this kit. It's my first from RFM with full interior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Made some progress today. 

Started working on the enginebay wich means putting together the engine itself. And the engine supports with the fueltank and the batteries.

20220511_202102

So far so good. The engine itself is a whole other ballgame...... lots of tiny parts and the intructions are not always clear. Furthermore, it's not always possible to dry fit parts how ever, you have to make shure it all lines up perfectly otherwise other parts and covers, beltdrives etc. Won't fit.

20220511_212329 20220511_212956

I took my time and in the end i made it look like an engine

20220511_221831 20220511_221920

I used the glue container for scale.

After the engine was complete i had to mount the two sides ( fueltank and batterypack ) 

20220511_222920

I dry fitted it in the hull so the glue on the engine mounts could harden and it's perfectly aligned. 

This build so far is a real challenge. Fun but challenging. 

I'll keep you guys posted. 

Cheers! 👍👍👍

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

 

It's definitely not one that you can rush!

Absolutly. I'm trying not to do more than one or two build segments at a time. Maintaining focus and patience is key.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've done two 'interior' models now, a Takom and a Miniart, and looking at conventional tank kits now I'm seeing them as only a quarter of a model, at best, and hardly worth the bother of making the tracks. Imagine a 1/32 scale aeroplane model without a cockpit, engine, gun bays etc and you'll understand what I mean. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I've done two 'interior' models now, a Takom and a Miniart, and looking at conventional tank kits now I'm seeing them as only a quarter of a model, at best, and hardly worth the bother of making the tracks. Imagine a 1/32 scale aeroplane model without a cockpit, engine, gun bays etc and you'll understand what I mean. 

I know what you mean. This is my first real interior kit ( the semovente m42 was really simple ) and while it is complex and it takes full attention, it's also much more fun.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Time for an update. 

I finnished the enginebay. It was by far the most complex build i've ever done so far. 

Putting 10 sparkplugs the size of an ants behind in to 10 tiny little holes.....well.... it gives a whole new meaning to the term "challenge" 

20220512_202400 20220512_203548

Also the pipes from the radiator had to be put together with a valve the size of a microbe....

20220512_170617 20220512_170404

After that the whole compartment was put together. It's not perfect but i'm happy. 

20220512_163031 20220512_204041 20220512_204028

So this is the unit. I will keep it seperate so i can paint and weather it. 

Now on to the front side of the hull.... i believe there is a transmision waiting for me..... 👍😀

 

I'll keep you guys posted!

Cheers! 👍👍👍

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...