Swords of the Unjust (2 x 1/72 IBG Fw 190D-9)

I have no idea how I missed this thread Edward. I've just spent several sessions catching up from the beginning. You will have seen various dispersed likes etc!

A typical (and therefore highly enlightening and entertaining) Procopius thread. Not only do we have that amazing back story, an ongoing appraisal of the ICM offering, and a further insight into real family life, but some seriously good modelling to boot!

So sorry to hear of your family Covid woes. This virus is bad enough in all senses, but having to cope with a young family in the midst of it, is an added challenge. I know that from my own families challenges with their children through the whole pandemic. Lockdown's for Mrs T and I were no big deal, but our families and their children were stretched to the absolute limit balancing work life with home schooling etc.

I hope all gets back to some semblance of normality for you all soon. 

The two Dora's are looking stunning btw!

Terry

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, CedB said:

(I still have to reagin any semblance of interesting posts - sorry)

Your mere presence embiggens the day, and, I daresay, the world. 

On 5/25/2022 at 5:43 AM, Ngantek said:

I run into this virtually every time as well, I was kind of hoping that, with experience, I would passively learn to stop sticking my fat thumbs straight into the wet paint/decal/filler/pitot tube; but judging by the responses of so many very learned modelers, that hope is clearly wildly optimistic!

23 hours ago, Zack said:

Yes. 

On 5/25/2022 at 2:55 AM, lasermonkey said:

That sounds depressingly familiar!

On 5/24/2022 at 2:46 PM, Galligraphics said:

Yep - often... :swear:

On 5/25/2022 at 2:29 AM, jackroadkill said:

This happened to me so depressingly often I've had to change my approach to decalling. 

I am not alone! Brothers, let us rise up from our chairs, carrying the better part of an expensive aftermarket sheet on one thumb, and march on Cartograph HQ!

On 5/25/2022 at 5:43 AM, Ngantek said:

I was considering getting some signatures together for a Future Procopius advocacy association, since that guy seems to get screwed so regularly. However on reflection, there's probably much more to be gained...

Shafted again!

Speaking of, I have experienced a decalsaster. The solvaset was a poor choice for the thin Exito decals, melting them and distorting several, and actually eating through the clear coat to disrupt the finish. I was despondent for several days, but decided I could at least do some weathering, since I'd come this far.

PXL_20220526_190810096

Blorp.

PXL_20220526_203353551

Zoop.

PXL_20220526_203405128

Overweathered, perhaps. Who among you is man enough to stop me, however?

Oil wash followed by a flat coat (AK's dreadful acrylic one), and some pigments, green and reddish brown, for the uppersurfaces. 

Ah well, nearly done.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Brothers, let us rise up from our chairs, carrying the better part of an expensive aftermarket sheet on one thumb, and march on Cartograph HQ!

Solidarity, Reg!

• Haha 7

PC I used up my reaction with a thanks for the kind comment.

The models are getting what they deserve after the decal fiasco - lead the anti-cartography rebellion! You are a leader amongst men.

No, honest :) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

Overweathered, perhaps. Who among you is man enough to stop me, however?

I’m not getting caught out on that one again! 😂

• Haha 4

I once managed to recover a rolled up sticker off a finger after repeating several choice expletives, so now before any sticker action I get my retaliation in first and give the little blighters a good talking to.

Over the water jump and heading for the finishing line in good shape.

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

A series of too many things to enumerate went wrong and this is unlikely to get more done than this. The poor landing gear really let this kit down badly.

PXL_20220527_221819514

• Like 21

Looks great to me Edward. However I understand how you or anyone else can be unhappy when someone else cant see the work directly. You're correct the FW landing gear is very tricky to get correct and its very important to how the aircraft sits. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

OK, calling them done.

52103938461_c7662083d0_h.jpgPXL_20220527_231823025 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52102912517_cc8af11139_h.jpgPXL_20220527_231833732 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52103973268_6768ff6bc4_h.jpgPXL_20220527_231844675 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I learned I dislike pastel weathering. A lot!

Here's one I did earlier, Aoshima's Ta152H-0; sadly we don't know the markings for the three that were shot down by a single RCAF Spitfire XIV in the only meeting of the two types during the war.

52104190639_c0a84c7f19_h.jpgPXL_20220527_231851159 by Edward IX, on Flickr

• Like 27

2 minutes ago, billn53 said:

OK, I’m calling them nicely done ! I’d be happy to have any of them in my collection.

That's incredibly kind of you, Bill, but I've seen your models before, and if you produced a model that looks like one of mine, it would only be because some nefarious character stunned you with a brick as you were working on it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

1 minute ago, Procopius said:

That's incredibly kind of you, Bill, but I've seen your models before . . . .

Well, say what you will, but I have the IBG Dora in my stash, and when I get around to building it, I’ll be using your WIP as my guide. :nodding:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I dunno; they look pretty nice to me, PC! Re the brick and modelling, not only do my models look as if I were struck about the head and neck with a brick whilst modelling, but that the brick was also used liberally on the model itself.

Regards,

Jason

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

They both look good mate B) I know for me it's practically mandatory to sag at the end of a build and remember the vision of modelling perfection you had at the start of the build, and maybe you are feeling that too, but you did a really good job on both and you got them both finished: that's a bankable win.

I dislike fiddly landing gear too I'll take a big square peg that you can't go wrong with over a 'to-scale' fitting point any day of the week :D 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 7

Fwiw, I reckon they look pretty damn good. I've the D-15 kit winging it's way from MJW currently, figured I had enough garden D's of various makes but liked the idea of a DB powered one. I too will be referring to this thread again. :)

I do think some if the decal woes bring discussed above could be mitigated by trying this.

Super easy, gentle, forgiving, versatile & cheap. What can be lost in trying it. :unsure:

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

I do think some if the decal woes bring discussed above could be mitigated by trying this.

Super easy, gentle, forgiving, versatile & cheap. What can be lost in trying it. :unsure:

Steve.

I can attest to Steve’s method. I used it on my Ford Tri-motor (you know the one, corrugated-metal everywhere) and it worked like a champ.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Stew Dapple said:

I dislike fiddly landing gear too I'll take a big square peg that you can't go wrong with over a 'to-scale' fitting point any day of the week :D 

Square pegs are to me a love letter from the kit designer. It shows they care. 

In any case, enough of these Axis losers, the Allies return with a winner in:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Winner

PC of our parish provides a pair of German aeroplanes so lovely that the first response in my head was...

Nice Spinner stripes dude.

These pair gave me more German WW2  aeroplanes than I can usually be bothered with and I am replete and curiously satisfied by how damned good they are.

Well done Edward, fab Ds.

I am joining in with your P40 set next, this has been so enjoyable.

Troughs climbed out of peaks attained, a perfect PC build now complete.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A stunning trio of Fw's you have there, just wish my attempts at building models was half as good as yours!

Looking forward to the P40 now

Stay safe          Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What the others said, they look pretty good from here!

Even more so when considering what you went through to get them to this point!

Ian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1