Swords of the Unjust (2 x 1/72 IBG Fw 190D-9)

As I get older I am fascinated as to why we are expected to like or dislike people we are unlikely to ever get to know as human beings. To me personality politics is being told that an Airfix Hampden just falls together with no need for filler.

My memory of Nixon is that he stopped the nasty pictures of dead soldiers on the evening news and fibbed a bit. Heath gave us the long weekend before it was popular.

Anyhooo

Box on 

Strickers

Edited by HAMP man
Additional thoughts
  • Haha 1

On 5/11/2022 at 1:22 PM, HAMP man said:

Looks like they are complicated little devils, with bits that only you (and us) know that are there.  Silky building skills in evidence dispite external embuggerations.

Wait… is this Winston & Grant we’re talking about here, or the D-9s? 

• Haha 4

My single memory of Edward Heath is of standing outside a pub in Richmond (the London one) with my mates one summer evening long past, when a Jag pulled up outside and two besuited men that you wouldn't want to mess with emerged, looked around, took a rather elderly and confused looking Ted Heath out of the car, sat him down at one of the outside tables for a quick gin and tonic and then bundled him back in the car to go home after a being a guest speaker at a dinner in the city.

Nice work on the FW and stencilling. I simply can't remember what I did before I discovered Albion Alloys nested tubing...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

a rather elderly and confused looking Ted Heath out of the car, sat him down at one of the outside tables for a quick gin and tonic and then bundled him back in the car to go home 

Living the dream.

• Haha 5

4 hours ago, Hook said:

"And There Was Much Rejoicing."

Seriously! I often wonder how long it will be before shipping recovers from covid. It used to be a week to get stuff from the UK, and an interminable TWO WEEKS to get it from Poland. Coming up on three weeks for these decals now.

On 20/05/2022 at 14:06, Procopius said:

Curse you, Edward Heath, with your decimalisation and your yachting and your piano!

Just for you Edward.....

Not very typical of their sound...   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World_War_(band)

you'll find their 2 Lp's online easily enough.. they might amuse, as they really were an oddity from the era... 

• Like 2

Well, the Barracuda stencils have arrived, and are quite a bit nicer than IBG's, as well as slightly more comprehensive.

PXL_20220522_223327146

Wing walk stencils are on, then.

Still waiting for the Exito decals to escape Miami, though. If only a pair of cops on the edge in neon-tinged business casual were on the case.

• Like 13

Well, Crockett and Tubbs came through for me, but they didn't make a fellow half wait. The postal service attempted delivery for them yesterday, but for some inexplicable reason, I'm required to sign for anything from Poland or Hannants (they left two more IBG 190s from MJW on my porch last night without a fuss), and it's impossible to pre-sign for any packages, or to get the postal person to ring my doorbell so I can sign for them. (Though I did once manage to run them down, pink slip in hand, and get my package from them before they made good their escape). 

The package was surprisingly large. 

52096810245_2c7918d16b_h.jpgPXL_20220524_150748009 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Apparently each marking option comes with a A4/9 x 11 or so sized-colour profile on cardstock, with the instructions on the reverse. Which is neat. Exito's decals are printed by Cartograph, and they're very thin, with almost no carrier film. I lost one of the fuselage balkenkreuz when the 9 for the opposite side chose to adhere to the crenellations of my thumbprint, rather than the model, and during my frantic efforts to dislodge it, I inadvertently destroyed the marking on the other side. I don't know if that happens to anyone else, but apparently my thumbprints are fertile ground for decal adhesion, a source of frequent frustration.  Since the Exito balkenkreuz are subtly but definitely different from those on the kit decal sheet, I was forced by cruel necessity to steal decals from the portion of the sheet reserved for Fw 190A-8 Blue 9 of 4./JG 301, which may or may not cause grief for Future Me, that hapless poltroon.

The spinner decal was unusually nice, I should note.

52096335853_4c219e7e52_h.jpgPXL_20220524_155432065 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So all but the underwing crosses are on now. Finally.

• Like 16

The keen-eyed observer will note, no doubt, that I simply adhered to the colours and scheme suggested by IBG, rather than Exito. The scheme suggested by Exito is more interesting, and I may attempt it in the future, but:

1, I had already painted the scheme by the time I was aware Exito's interpretation differed substantially

2. The assertion that the power egg was painted differently takes my breath away with its confidence, you might as well claim a large Clydesdale horse was hitched to it ahead of the firewall based on all the photographic evidence tells us

3. Whatever power egg other werknummers in the same batch had, they were being assembled piecemeal from subassemblies manufactured all over Germany

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Procopius said:

52096335853_4c219e7e52_h.jpgPXL_20220524_155432065 by Edward IX, on Flickr

So all but the underwing crosses are on now. Finally.

I note the colours of the upper wings on the card are reversed in comparison to your Red 9.

Did the Luftwaffe have A and B patterns like the RAF? Though I should imagine that as 1945 progressed, the challenge would be to get anything painted at all.

• Sad 2

12 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

I note the colours of the upper wings on the card are reversed in comparison to your Red 9.

Did the Luftwaffe have A and B patterns like the RAF? Though I should imagine that as 1945 progressed, the challenge would be to get anything painted at all.

No, as is often my wont, I inverted the colours in my head when I went to spray them, possibly because Winston was there making things crash to the floor behind me, but more likely because that's just something I've always struggled with (I may also have gotten my RLM colours mixed up, as the kit and Exito both use a recent interpretation of RLM81/82, which would be Colourcoats RLM82/83, and my brain may have cut out during the mental gynmnastics of converting them). The Luftwaffe always appears to have used roughly the same pattern for 190Ds, sometimes substituting different dark or light colours "to taste".

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

1, I had already painted the scheme by the time I was aware Exito's interpretation differed substantially

2. The assertion that the power egg was painted differently takes my breath away with its confidence, you might as well claim a large Clydesdale horse was hitched to it ahead of the firewall based on all the photographic evidence tells us

3. Whatever power egg other werknummers in the same batch had, they were being assembled piecemeal from subassemblies manufactured all over Germany

I think anyone claiming to know the colours of the 'missing' power egg will just be guessing.  Having said that, my understanding is that at this stage of the war, the power eggs were being delivered direct from Junkers, complete with engine covers and seemingly painted in a single, uniform upper colour (likely to have been a dark green, if other pictures of variously dispersed power eggs are anything to go by) with pale or unpainted lower surfaces.  The demarcation on the power egg rarely matched the demarcation on the fuselage, assuming it had already been painted.  Some appear to have been over-painted once assembled.

The builds are looking good.. :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

I lost one of the fuselage balkenkreuz when the 9 for the opposite side chose to adhere to the crenellations of my thumbprint, rather than the model, and during my frantic efforts to dislodge it, I inadvertently destroyed the marking on the other side. I don't know if that happens to anyone else,

It does

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

No, as is often my wont, I inverted the colours in my head when I went to spray them, possibly because Winston was there making things crash to the floor behind me, but more likely because that's just something I've always struggled with (I may also have gotten my RLM colours mixed up, as the kit and Exito both use a recent interpretation of RLM81/82, which would be Colourcoats RLM82/83, and my brain may have cut out during the mental gynmnastics of converting them). The Luftwaffe always appears to have used roughly the same pattern for 190Ds, sometimes substituting different dark or light colours "to taste".

Oh dear. I wondered if this was one of these issues where the colours are known but not the pattern of distribution. It wasn't meant as a Nelson Muntz moment.

1 minute ago, Steve Coombs said:

Oh dear. I wondered if this was one of these issues where the colours are known but not the pattern of distribution. It wasn't meant as a Nelson Muntz moment.

No worries, I freely admit to being a dolt, not to mention both harried and lazy as well.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Procopius said:

I don't know if that happens to anyone else, but apparently my thumbprints are fertile ground for decal adhesion, a source of frequent frustration. 

Yep - often... :swear:

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Procopius said:

I don't know if that happens to anyone else

13 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

It does

11 hours ago, Galligraphics said:

Yep - often... :swear:

This happened to me so depressingly often I've had to change my approach to decalling.  I now attach upper wing surface ones first, and then let them dry.  Following that I do the under surfaces, and let them dry.  Next I do the main markings on one side of the fuselage, go for a cry in the dark for a while, and when they are fully dry I do the other fuselage side.  The next day I have a go at the stencilling, assuming I haven't thrown myself from a tall building.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

This happened to me so depressingly often I've had to change my approach to decalling.  I now attach upper wing surface ones first, and then let them dry.  Following that I do the under surfaces, and let them dry.  Next I do the main markings on one side of the fuselage, go for a cry in the dark for a while, and when they are fully dry I do the other fuselage side.  The next day I have a go at the stencilling, assuming I haven't thrown myself from a tall building.

That sounds depressingly familiar!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I run into this virtually every time as well, I was kind of hoping that, with experience, I would passively learn to stop sticking my fat thumbs straight into the wet paint/decal/filler/pitot tube; but judging by the responses of so many very learned modelers, that hope is clearly wildly optimistic!

It seems almost impossible to program your brain to not adjust the model in your hands without thinking about it first.

I was considering getting some signatures together for a Future Procopius advocacy association, since that guy seems to get screwed so regularly. However on reflection, there's probably much more to be gained by not getting bogged down every stage trying to preserve bits and pieces that might never get used anyway!

• Like 3

Finally caught up with this thread PC - the usual excellent read and modelling!

Sorry the virus has struck and I hope you're all recovered soon :) 

(I still have to reagin any semblance of interesting posts - sorry)

• Thanks 1