Swords of the Unjust (2 x 1/72 IBG Fw 190D-9)

I latterly added the underside candy-striped Morane-type antenna for the FuG 16 ZY radio, as well as the d/f loop. Too lazy to take a picture. But they are there.

• Like 7

Waa blink and you've missed it. That's turned beautifully, the underside in particular looks really sharp. It's kind of astonishing to turn out a kit of that quality in such a short space of time. Out of a brute of a kit. While looking after a sick family. And being sick. And while simultaneously building another one.

What's going to be next on the menu while your decals get lost in the post?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Tune in next week to watch as @Procopius carves a 1/24 Sunderland flying boat out of rock salt whilst completing his second symphony and battling a nasty case of St. Vitus' dance!

Seriously though, Edward, you've done a belter on this kit despite the dreaded second red line and taking care of a young family.  Well done, sir.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Tune in next week to watch as @Procopius carves a 1/24 Sunderland flying boat out of rock salt whilst completing his second symphony and battling a nasty case of St. Vitus' dance!

Every morning I pull on them pants
Mmm but I don't get out so much since I acquired St. Vitus dance

But hah, no. I'm no The Baron or Hendie or Bill, able to scratchbuild. I'm strictly a kit assembler. With my philosophy degree, I lack the engineer's innate sense for and love of precision.

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

Waa blink and you've missed it. That's turned beautifully, the underside in particular looks really sharp. It's kind of astonishing to turn out a kit of that quality in such a short space of time. Out of a brute of a kit. While looking after a sick family. And being sick. And while simultaneously building another one.

It's probably not a  coincidence that I was tentatively diagnosed with ADHD and prescribed something for it right around the start of this build, let's put it like that. 

As for the kit, I don't think it's a brute. It definitely in places embodies that hoary old IT joke, "you're right, let's do this the dumbest way possible, because it's easier for you", but it's certainly streets ahead of where kits from smaller or even mainstream manufacturers were when I got back into modelling in 2011. It's cleverly engineered so that there's not a lot of seam cleanup. It definitely has some traps for the unwary, though:

1. The photoetch wheel wells is a weird design choice. I'd love to hear their reasoning on it (honestly, I'd read the hell out of a blog or site that just interviewed kit designers to find out their thought processes for a specific model).

2. Their decision to use locating ledges, rather than pins, isn't bad per se -- Arma does it a lot as well with their P-51B/C -- but unlike Arma, they didn't do a lot of accounting for tolerances. With the Arma P-51B, everything that fit that way would still work properly if it was slightly misaligned, and indeed the kit's engineering would force it into place, a very elegant solution. The IBG 190 isn't like this. It requires a lot of finesse during several assembly steps that are pretty complex even before that. It's very easy to misalign the cockpit/wingspar/engine subassembly ("practically a kit in itself!") either during the construction of individual subcomponents, or when trying to close the fuselage up. The cockpit tub especially suffers from very anemic locating ledges, which, coupled with the long shelf behind the pilot seat, can make this stage super frustrating.

3. The aforementioned loose-fitting landing gear. Probably my biggest issue with this kit. Fw 190 undercarriage has a very specific look to it, and it's a PITA to have to wiggle around landing gear to get them correct. I highly recommend gel superglue for this, you will only be unhappy if you use cement. 

4. Like every spinner spiral decal ever made, IBG's sucks. GIVE US A MASK YOU COWARDS. It's not like you can really do any of the schemes without an airbrush anyway.

5. The two-part wheels kind of sucked and didn't fit together well.

That said, the lower wing/lower fuselage fit to the rest of the kit was excellent, so well done there. 

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

I'm thinking my next build will be an Aegis-bearer, a V-1 busting Tempest. EDIT: Wait, no masks for it yet, damme. Later!

• Like 12

PXL_20220517_015643219

Stencils added to the second aircraft (unless they would interact with the aircraft number or national markings or they were sacrificed for Black 8), and MLG assembled and painted Colourcoats RLM02. The gear seem to fit a bit better in the bay if the the doors are added prior to fitting, which was not terribly clear in the instructions. Drop tank is also assembled, on its pylon, and painted RLM76.

• Like 16

I also painted the black strips around the exhaust stacks, and tried some pigment on the stacks themselves.

PXL_20220517_025319457

Excuse the fancy photo, I recently saw a thread where someone bitched about having to see a messy work area and WIPers not even having the courtesy to use a backdrop, and I felt equal parts shame and murderous rage. 

• Like 14
  • Haha 7
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I also painted the black strips around the exhaust stacks, and tried some pigment on the stacks themselves.

PXL_20220517_025319457

Excuse the fancy photo, I recently saw a thread where someone bitched about having to see a messy work area and WIPers not even having the courtesy to use a backdrop, and I felt equal parts shame and murderous rage. 

Personally Ive done both messy background and clean photo’s. It doesn't bother me either way. I try to do my RFI’s in a clean area because I know some get perturbed with messiness, but it doesn't always work out. 

• Like 5

That's looking rather spiffy Edward B) 

39 minutes ago, Procopius said:

having to see a messy work area and WIPers not even having the courtesy to use a backdrop

I actually quite like to see other modeller's workbenches and find it quite interesting to note the similarities and differences from my own :D I accept some sort of backdrop or neutral-ish background might be desirable for the RFI posts, but for WIP I can't help but feel that wanting a backdrop is a bit squeamish; the workbench is, after all, where the work happens* :)  

Cheers,

Stew

* That said, I'm not judging you for using a backdrop on this one :D 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

My WIPs are where I work. I would hope that if it offends someone’s sensibilities that they would avoid looking at my WIPs…

No shame for me. RFIs then yes, should make an effort.

Lovely 190

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

for WIP I can't help but feel that wanting a backdrop is a bit squeamish; the workbench is, after all, where the work happens

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

My WIPs are where I work. I would hope that if it offends someone’s sensibilities that they would avoid looking at my WIPs…

Same here; who cares if there are paints and tools on a work bench?  My workbench is also my desk, so I have to keep it reasonably tidy (or at least sweep an area big enough for my laptop clear of debris) but WIP photographs are taken as the work progresses, surely?  Work involves tools, paints, etc, so let's have them in the picture.

• Like 4

Well, if a messy workbench offends you, noone is forcing you to open a thread. 

Personally, I'm of  the "a clean workbench is a tell tale sign of a deranged mind. And not in the fun way" persuasion. 

• Haha 10

Fully agree, my heart is where my workpiece is, if you don't like, take a hike.

Edward old chum, what was that expanse of white behind the model?

It'll never catch on...

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hook said:

Personally, I'm of  the "a clean workbench is a tell tale sign of a deranged mind. And not in the fun way" persuasion. 

I have a deranged workbench. Not sure that means I have a clean mind...

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

10 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

That's looking rather spiffy Edward B) 

I actually quite like to see other modeller's workbenches and find it quite interesting to note the similarities and differences from my own :D I accept some sort of backdrop or neutral-ish background might be desirable for the RFI posts, but for WIP I can't help but feel that wanting a backdrop is a bit squeamish; the workbench is, after all, where the work happens* :)  

Cheers,

Stew

* That said, I'm not judging you for using a backdrop on this one :D 

I can confirm the same over here. Almost immediately my eyes will wander beyond the model and all the sudden I'am sluething peoples work benches, scanning for oddities or new ways to spend money.  Keep the WIP background's interesting please :P 

• Like 3

Wahoo! The Exito decals have made landfall in Florida, so assuming they're not eaten by a roving Florida Man, I should hopefully see them in the not-to-distant future so I can wrap up this 190D-9 as well. 

• Like 10

Still waiting on my extra stencils and for my Exito decals to clear customs in Florida. The build is kind of stalled until that happens, but I've done a bit this evening.

I added the stencils to the 300-litre drop tank.

52085873124_eb06c47552_h.jpgPXL_20220520_015330875 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Amusingly, some of them read "keine bombe", which of course means "not a bomb". When you have to write that on your drop tanks, it's a safe bet that the war isn't going super well for you. Apparently another directs any civilians who find the offending tank say, in their garden, or perhaps halfway through the living room roof, to return it to the nearest Luftwaffe facility. Unlike the Allies, I don't think the Germans ever really figured out a way to manufacture disposable drop tanks, and they seem to have discouraged dropping them in combat, as we see a lot of gun camera footage where their aircraft still have them attached, which is of course bad for two reasons: one, it's draggy, and two, fuel vapour left in the tank makes it extremely hazardous if hit. My supposition, unencumbered by any concrete evidence, is that given the Luftwaffe's doctrinal emphasis on intercepting bombers twice, once on the way in, and once on the way out, with the same aircraft, using all of the fuel in the drop tank enabled the survivors of the first sortie to be turned around more quickly, as well as preserved as best as possible the rapidly declining German fuel stockpiles. Moving along!

I also got some Albion Alloys tubing to make the wing root MG151/20 cannons, having lost one of the kit parts which in any case doesn't look super hot.

52084503037_c2e2206272_h.jpgPXL_20220520_005439086 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I used I think 0.8mm and 0.6mm tubing; the interior diameter of 0.4mm for the latter means that the cannon are only 50% overscale or so, as roughly 29mm guns, but who's counting?

Glamour shots:

52085631111_408ee1b596_h.jpgPXL_20220520_015529627 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52085873134_074dbd99b6_h.jpgPXL_20220520_015412269 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Today was another long day, as Mrs P turned 39. Covid is currently sweeping through Win's school like a scythe, and our babysitter somehow came down with it as well, so I had to down tools at 11 to get Grant and then after I got him, go get Win at 1. The only thing is, we're borrowing my parents' second car right now, as we only have the one, and we only have one set of keys for it. Guess who never, ever drives that car, but also felt that the safest place for the key for it would be in her purse? I hope you can, with that set of clues. Suffice it to say I was stuck at home with a car that I could not get into or turn on until one of my parents could swing by with the other key. Amazing.

Grant cares very deeply about what others think about him, unlike Winston, who may not be fully aware that other human beings have inner lives of their own, or even that they can feel pain, so it was important he get to buy a present for Mrs P. We went to the local chemist's, which has about the paucity of selection you would imagine, and finally bought her a small fountain as decorative as it was useless, if the two aren't already synonymous. Winston, who had woken his mother up at 5 AM to give her something he'd made yesterday as his present, became irate at this point because he didn't have anything else to give Mommy Dearest, and informed me I was the worst dad in the world. I agreed, and told him he'd be much happier with a father like Idi Amin, a very jovial fellow. He asked me what Idi Amin liked and I said Israeli airliners and left it at that. 

Mrs P seemed to enjoy her very spartan birthday dinner (spaghetti and garlic bread) and grocery store cake, and retired to bed more or less immediately afterwards, leaving me to read Mossflower to the boys. 

At any rate, just waiting on those decals now. 

• Like 9
  • Haha 12

4 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Winston, who had woken his mother up at 5 AM to give her something he'd made yesterday as his present, became irate at this point because he didn't have anything else to give Mommy Dearest, and informed me I was the worst dad in the world. I agreed, and told him he'd be much happier with a father like Idi Amin, a very jovial fellow. He asked me what Idi Amin liked and I said Israeli airliners and left it at that. 

Omg Edward I lost it again 😂 … Its a good thing Im alone at the moment. I love your sense of humor. Is it any wonder why I love reading your post’s.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Omg Edward I lost it again 😂 … Its a good thing Im alone at the moment. I love your sense of humor. Is it any wonder why I love reading your post’s.

ditto

;)

After all this time I still return to a Procopius thread with coffee carefully placed aside.

Rarely a fruitless gesture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

The reference to Idi sent me on an internal rabbit hole to John Bird, to a good friend now passed who could quote long sections of the Idi Amin album, to youthful nights out in country pubs laughing until we both cried. So that one reference took me back 30 years. 

Glad to hear that Win is still ploughing his own furrow and that life's cowpats are being dealt with at Hedgehog Acres.

Things have moved on, being able to read stencils in 1/72 scale, but I can remember when a Mars Bar was 6d 

Box on

Strickers

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 2:33 AM, jackroadkill said:

Tune in next week to watch as @Procopius carves a 1/24 Sunderland flying boat out of rock salt whilst completing his second symphony

And that's with just the left hand!

Edited by Space Ranger
  • Haha 4

4 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

And that's with just the left hand!

Well, I am left-handed, as are Mrs P and Winston (but not Grant), like most of your better class of people.

6 hours ago, HAMP man said:

remember when a Mars Bar was 6d 

Curse you, Edward Heath, with your decimalisation and your yachting and your piano!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Procopius said:

Well, I am left-handed, as are Mrs P and Winston (but not Grant), like most of your better class of people.

Curse you, Edward Heath, with your decimalisation and your yachting and your piano!

Just a cotton-picking minute young Eddie baby, nothing at all wrong with a decent piano.

Wasn't it Victor Borge that...

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Edward Heath,

Another right wing Marmite figure from the past, anyway I think he was only Grade 5.

• Haha 1

Without getting into their politics (or some of the more outre stuff that's been alleged in the past decade or so), Heath and Nixon are really the only two politicians I've ever felt any kinship with. Sure, they had not an ounce of human warmth, and in fact often appeared to be wearing an extremely uncomfortable Human Suit that wasn't entirely ready for series production, but that, to me, is the appeal. Everyone wants someone who's "just like them", certainly, but I'm not like those cheerful, grinning copper-blooded* simulacrums that so often end up ruling us, with their amazing hair and their knack for talking to people, things that are totally alien to me. 

* David Icke's ears perk up and he does not know why.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5