Swords of the Unjust (2 x 1/72 IBG Fw 190D-9)

21 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I only ever laid a hand on one once.  I felt worse about it than he did, so I didn't revisit that method of parenting.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I feel too. 

6 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Enjoying the thread. I’ll pull up a chair. (Not that one) if that’s ok. 🤗

Are you sure? It only smells when the sunlight touches it, now.

Quick update, as today was a looooong day at home with the kids trying to keep them from destroying the house and flooding the yard while writing a $50,000 RFP, which while not big money in the private sector, is a Big Deal for us here in the nonprofit world. I managed to get the RFP done, but when Mrs P finally got home from work and I was able to move through the house to take a survey of the damage, I had to immediately go for a run less I twisted their empty little heads off in a fit of righteous anger. I ran for 3.5 miles, very slowly (an average pace of 11:12 per mile, under 6 MPH, so barely even running), but in my defense, I'm feeling slightly poorly, it was very hot, windy (and if you think that doesn't matter, try having wind roaring down your throat at a closing speed of 12 MPH; if you're not used to it, the experience is not unlike what an amorous frog who makes the mistake of lip-locking a filling station air compressor goes through), and I'm also super out of shape. MADDENINGLY, when I got the call that Grant had tested covid positive, I was in the middle of the best run I'd had in ages, with an average speed of 8:46 minutes per mile -- way slower than I used to, but not awful for an older, fatter man -- AND while taking the call, I swallowed about thirty gnats, whose entire life cycle currently seems to be born so they can loiter on the path of my run and fly into my open mouth as I desperately suck down air.

Anyway, I got back from that just in time for one of my sisters to drop off a strawberry-rhubarb pie, and it was, no exaggeration, the best pie I have ever eaten. I had several slices to confirm.

52065356108_1ff42c490e_h.jpgPXL_20220511_001755174 by Edward IX, on Flickr

After getting everyone to bed and all that, I made it down to the grotto. I had both a Peewit mask and an Eduard one, so it was nice to compare. In terms of sophistication, Eduard is still far ahead, with better designed pieces of kabuki tape, but Peewit's little pieces are easier to see on the sheet, and don't require masking fluid -- I just have a bottle of Micro-Mask, which is so translucent it's hard to see when it's on. I understand Maskol is a vivid pink, and'm considering switching to it unless anyone has a better suggestion. Was it Rob who recommended Mr Masking Fluid?

I then did some surface prep and rubbed down the models with a paper towel with some IPA on it -- I was loathe to use it, given the demand-induced price climb over the last two years, but it really did seem to make a difference. Then I sprayed some Mr Surfacer 1500.

52064390237_cc4b190dd7_h.jpgPXL_20220511_042828954 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'm considering masking off some panels on the underside of Black 8, which had bare metal wings and the fuselage painted the "greenish" version of RLM76, so that I can get some tonal variation with the metal for the wings, as I have quite a few different colors of Mr Surfacer 1500 thanks to the Warhams: pink, mahogany, black, white, and grey. Thoughts? 

We are just chugging along on these, aren't we? 

• Like 20

37 minutes ago, Procopius said:

We are just chugging along on these, aren't we? 

Seems quite speedy to me, but p’raps it’s relative.  I’ll agree with chugging along nicely if it pleases? Either way the whole thread is proceeding along in an eminently delightful Procopian manner and so all’s well.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Procopius said:

In terms of sophistication, Eduard is still far ahead, with better designed pieces of kabuki tape, but Peewit's little pieces are easier to see on the sheet, and don't require masking fluid

This is where your Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade come in handy again. Slather some over the Eduard sheet and quickly wipe off the excess. Some of it catches in the cuts and makes them nicely visible, and doesn't affect the adhesive underneath (or doesn't if you're quick enough, by empirical experimentation).

• Thanks 1

Have I missed something, did The Doors sing about Sneggy?

Let Win know he has an official follower in me.  The doctor said I used to have a weak somach, but I told him I was throwing it a far as I could.

Try not to breath     in.

I do love a strawberry and rhubarb concoction, but am worried that home-made rarely use tin baking trays.

Looks like they are complicated little devils, with bits that only you (and us) know that are there.  Silky building skills in evidence dispite external embuggerations.

As always

Box On

Strickers

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

This is where your Nuln Oil or Agrax Earthshade come in handy again. Slather some over the Eduard sheet and quickly wipe off the excess. Some of it catches in the cuts and makes them nicely visible, and doesn't affect the adhesive underneath (or doesn't if you're quick enough, by empirical experimentation).

I rub a tiny little bit charcoal powder on mine with a fingertip, a little goes a long way and just fill the cut lines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HAMP man said:

Have I missed something, did The Doors sing about Sneggy?

All their songs are about Wales. Riders on the Storm is actually about the Great Storm of 1987. Not a lot of people know that.

• Haha 5

3 minutes ago, Procopius said:

All their songs are about Wales

Light My Fire is about how hard it is to get warm in the continuous sideways rain of a Welsh August.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

Light My Fire is about how hard it is to get warm in the continuous sideways rain of a Welsh August.

Coming from Canada and living in the UK for a few years, I was never so cold. "Why are you shivering? Aren't you from Canada!?" they would all say... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

I have fond memories of scrambling around Moel Siabod over 35 years ago in what felt like a horizontal blizzard, which was an object lesson in dressing for the occasion (which I had done).
Saying which, a few years earlier, I did the jump between Siôn a Siân (would you Adam and Eve it?) on Tryfan in glorious sunshine.

• Like 2

Welp.

52066865210_3ee5dbe120_h.jpgPXL_20220511_133137169 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I suddenly don't feel quite so bad about my time while running last night. So far I have a headache and a sore throat. Unfortunately, I still have to take care of my children, who can always be counted on to sink to the occasion when I'm not feeling well. 

• Sad 25

1 hour ago, Procopius said:

Welp.

52066865210_3ee5dbe120_h.jpgPXL_20220511_133137169 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I suddenly don't feel quite so bad about my time while running last night. So far I have a headache and a sore throat. Unfortunately, I still have to take care of my children, who can always be counted on to sink to the occasion when I'm not feeling well. 

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Ouch. All the best!

So far I managed to succesfully evade The Bug, although my son caught it while managing to avoid infecting my girlfriend and me. Some people I know (including junior) had almost no complaints, and some spent three weeks in bed feeling quite crappy. Let's hope you fall in category #1!

Cheers,

Andre

• Thanks 1

Oh man! Everything crossed for a quick unspectacular ride, I found that drinking loads of water seemed to help, certainly kept me active if only trips to the loo.

Radio silence expected for a time

Strickers

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Hook said:

Ouch. All the best!

So far I managed to succesfully evade The Bug, although my son caught it while managing to avoid infecting my girlfriend and me. Some people I know (including junior) had almost no complaints, and some spent three weeks in bed feeling quite crappy. Let's hope you fall in category #1!

So far a headache, sore throat, and slight nasal drain. I had thought it was allergies from the high pollen count yesterday, but I felt pretty dire this morning (not helped by Winston waking us up between 1AM-3AM last night complaining his "penis felt weird" -- not hurt, mind you, just weird -- and then went through a series of other complaints that only a very exhausted little child unaware of how close his mother and father have inched towards the precipice of strangling him can.

6 hours ago, HAMP man said:

You're not gonna be that lucky.

8 hours ago, jrfischer317 said:

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Thanks! I'm hopeful, as I've done all the stuff one's supposed to as well as lost a great deal of weight, hopefully getting me out of the Danger Zone.

5 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I don't have any children to deal with unlike you do (unless you include the inner 4 year old that is trapped inside me). 

Mine is more or less manifested fully in my daily life.

13 hours ago, HAMP man said:

I do love a strawberry and rhubarb concoction, but am worried that home-made rarely use tin baking trays.

My sister does. They are are very strange person. I generally describe them to others as being like a smaller, smarter, but much, much meaner me. I shall never forget driving 300 miles to visit them at college, where they were having a rough time, and being introduced to their sorors with "this is my brother, he has bigger breasts." I've remarked before, I think, on my occasional desire to quietly have all of my atoms travel in different directions at the speed of light, and this was one of those. 

Great pie, though!

Anyway, the first part of the day was pretty rough, as the boys knew I was weakened and were at their worst, but then good news(?) Mrs P tested positive as well, and was sent home from work and since she's pregnant, prescribed Remdesivir, just like major elected officials. So I had support and could pass out for a few hours.

Anyway, tonight I did a teeny-tiny bit to keep my hand in:

I sprayed the RLM 24 Reichsverteidigung on the JG54 machine (though at current speed, it will be painted long before my decals get here from fair Poland). This was my first time using Mr Paint/MRP, and it seemed pretty nice! It was pre-thinned and dried quickly, but of course who knows what I'll come down to tomorrow. I then masked it and painted the bulk of the aircraft Colourcoats RLM76, which is a beautiful pale blue shade that I have a hard time seeing against the Mr Surfacer.

It went on very nicely, as it always does:

52067624369_4d9db12622_h.jpgPXL_20220512_014433682 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I'll let it dry overnight before moving on to the top coat.

Apparently there's been a few developments since the last time I painted a late-war Luftwaffe aircraft (a Ta152 in...gosh, I don't even remember when...2016 sometime?), so while my JG54 190D will use Colourcoats, I have a small packet of AK "Real" Colours (as opposed to all those other colours which exist only in our imaginations) based on the research in their very expensive book on WWII aircraft paint schemes, I'll be using the AK paints for the scheme on the second aircraft, which has the greenish RLM76 that looks like Sky, and one of what are apparently three shades of RLM81 along with RLM82 up top. The Colourcoats aircraft will just be their RLM76/82/83, what everyone believed was RLM83 apparently actually an RLM81 variant. Confusing! This is why you don't lose a war, the paperwork is murder. 

Anyhoo, for the JG26 aircraft, I just used Gunze lacquers to paint its white/black Reichsverteidigung.

52067880925_7984314df1_h.jpgPXL_20220512_014406632 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Initially, I painted the white/black demarcation on a panel line, but closer inspection revealed this was incorrect, and I masked a bit and resprayed.

52067410843_6ef17b9c87_h.jpgPXL_20220512_014732253 by Edward IX, on Flickr

Anyway, I can feel myself growing faint. Off to change the laundry and then read in bed until I pass out.

• Like 21

Get well soon

4 hours ago, Procopius said:

little child unaware of how close his mother and father have inched towards the precipice of strangling him can.

Quick send her back, it's a pod person, must be.

I will reiterate it, get well soon Edward and that good wish goes to all at Hedgehog Manor2 (?)

The MesseFockewulf (?) thingys are looking very Teutonic and the tale told is a well-told tale as always with your product.

Soon baby.

(Yes I really hate the double lined lurgy, that pause and shudder when I look and see two lines on my (or Gwyn's) test)

Well, you may be down but are clearly not out; the humour is still evident in your storytelling!  Covid was a pain in the ar.... chest for me, but nothing worse, and it meant that I had ten days to wreck plastic without having to be anywhere else, do any work or attend to any of my usual responsibilities, so I'm hoping you can extract similar benefits.  Oh, and that weird-feeling penises don't interrupt your flow too much.

Best of luck with the Covid, I hope you all recover nice and quickly! Being stuck indoors with sick kids while also being sick is the worst.

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

12 hours ago, HAMP man said:

You're not gonna be that lucky.

You're made of sterner stuff than I! We all got covid a few weeks ago, and what with spending all the days stopping the kids from burning down the whole block, I found kneeling at the bench with a splitting headache all too much.

I noticed that RLM76/Mr surfacer thing too. Had exactly no idea where one started and the other finished, but felt honour bound to paint everything anyway. Had I not I'm sure I would've found that mr surfacer goes dark purple under specific lighting. 

18 hours ago, Ngantek said:

You're made of sterner stuff than I!

After today...I'm not so sure. 

19 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Oh, and that weird-feeling penises don't interrupt your flow too much.

We must be ever-vigilant, but not too vigilant, because we don't want to see too much.

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Quick send her back, it's a pod person, must be.

I was bedridden all day with chills, drifting in and out of feverish sleep, and every time I woke up, I could hear her angrily screaming at them. The real best medicine is discovering that Parent A isn't really that much better at this than Parent B.

I really am not feeling very well -- though leagues better than earlier today -- so I'll be brief.

Colourcoats are on the first 190D-9:

52068606077_6577981f79_h.jpgPXL_20220513_022948208 by Edward IX, on Flickr

52068606157_242dbf8aac_h.jpgPXL_20220513_022957449 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I did it freehand, and it looked better when I was doing it, I promised. 

I think an oil wash after it's glossed might help a bit, we'll see.

My AK Real Colors arrived today, and I used their late-war RLM76, which looks, as you'd expect, more or less like Sky:

52069878264_0b584ef15e_h.jpgPXL_20220513_023013743 by Edward IX, on Flickr

I did one entire wing before I remembered only the flaps and fuselage are painted.

• Like 15

29 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I was bedridden all day with chills, drifting in and out of feverish sleep, and every time I woke up, I could hear her angrily screaming at them. The real best medicine is discovering that Parent A isn't really that much better at this than Parent B.

Its always an epiphany when you realize neither of you have a true clue of what you're really doing. Its all best guesswork as each child will be different than expected, and you can only do your best. The ultimate goal is that they don't wind up in a college bell tower with a high powered rifle. 😉

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Procopius said:

I really am not feeling very well -- though leagues better than earlier today

Get the rest you need, and I hope the angry screaming doesn't interrupt the fever dreams. Fever dreams are fascinating.

Feel better soon!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1