Build #2: Tamiya 1/48 J1N1-Sa Gekko (Irving) - COMPLETED 31/07/2022

Not going to lie. My mojo is waning on  my F-2 trying to get that intake trunk seamless. Tonight it cracked along the joint, again, whilst sanding, so putting it aside for now. 

Time for this bad boy! 

20220504_195333

Lots of plastic goodness inside! Usual Tamiya quality, with plenty ejector marks to deal with. 

20220504_195534

20220504_195620

20220504_195714

Decals look surprisingly decent for a Tamiya kit? Will see. 

20220504_195803

And got some resin barrels. Got a mask set on its way, but for the "Early" kit. Pretty sure the canopy remains the same. Also have some Eduard PE belts, hopefully they have some ones I can use on this build. 

20220504_195855

One thing I'm finding interesting is the canopy framing. It's very, very fine by the feel of it. Can barely feel how it's raised like normal if that makes sense? 

Anyway, found a build on Hyperscale by Gregg Cooper I will be referencing, and I really want to try his method of replicating the Aotake finish. 

Edited by Evil_Toast_RSA
Spellingz
  • Like 9

And started filling the ejector marks. Being the paranoid person I am, filled them all. Chances are good most won't even be seen anyway. Eh. 

20220504_222719

Some of the fully visible internal parts are molded with the back end hollow, used some plasticard to blank them off. Drilled out the pilots seats lightening holes too. 

20220504_222651

• Like 8

Nice to see another Gekko as it is not that well known. Starting life as a proposed  "heavy fighter" eg Bf 110, and then switching to reconnaissance as the JNAF equivalent to the JAAF Ki-46 Dinah, it then was turned into a reasonable night fighter for use against bombers over Japan. I built the old Revell 1/72  kit back in the 1980s but it did not have the radar like yours.

Pete

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

Nice to see another Gekko as it is not that well known. Starting life as a proposed  "heavy fighter" eg Bf 110, and then switching to reconnaissance as the JNAF equivalent to the JAAF Ki-46 Dinah, it then was turned into a reasonable night fighter for use against bombers over Japan. I built the old Revell 1/72  kit back in the 1980s but it did not have the radar like yours.

Pete

There's a funny story attached to this kit. My local plastic crack den has the other 2 boxings of this kit from the early naughties I guess. Been eyeing up the Early version and slowly getting little bits and bobs for it, why I have the guns but the early masking and insignia set is on it's way to me. Wind back to late 2020. A guy on a local group hit a razor blade in the candy floss of life and needed a compressor sharpish. I had one I hadn't used for months, so I passed it on with the only proviso that he cover postage. He received it, was happy and life went on. Just after Easter I get a message from him. He's packing up and going back to blighty, would you like this kit gratis as thanks! So yeah, got it Wednesday afternoon and got started that night! 

• Like 2

welcome along with build #2 and it is great to see another Gekko in the build..........and one that is probably a bit easier to build!!

The Tamiya model is a very nice one, I have been looking over builds and instructions of these on-line for mine. Going plastic would have made life much easier than going resin!

Tamiya is normally pretty good at hiding injector marks.......unlike other who shall remain nameless! :fuyou_2:

You should be fine with the canopy and the masks. I just looked at both sets on instructions and they are exactly the same. I actually may even buy the early version myself it looks really cool (I have a thing for nightfighters) and the 2nd canopy will solve my current canopy dramas....maybe!

Anyway, good luck with the build, she's an awesome looking model and can't wait to see it in the gallery.

• Like 1

Small minor update of sorts. Have the Aotake a bash. 

Basecoat of Tamiya XF-53 Neutral Grey (guess XF-24 Dark Grey could of worked too) and a heavy drybrush/stipple of Tamiya X-11 Silver enamel. 

20220512_182846

Then a layer of a custom Aotake mix (went with X-23 Clear Blue and a small amount of X-24 Clear Yellow for moral support) thinned with MLT. I think it looks okay? 

20220512_203553

Thoughts? 

• Like 9

Cockpit done, need to get it all assembled and can move on. Most of the sub assemblies are done, usual Tamiya stuff, leave the parts next to the glue and poof, assembled. 

Added some Eduard IJN belts.

20220519_213235

20220519_213324

• Like 7

Looking very nice mate B) 

The kit has options for a version with the radar dipoles on the nose and a couple without, is that right? Have you decided on a markings scheme yet?

Cheers,

Stew

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

The kit has options for a version with the radar dipoles on the nose and a couple without, is that right? Have you decided on a markings scheme yet?

Yes it does. 1 with radar and technically 2 without. I'm leaning towards the radar option, but am not 100% fully committed to that just yet. I do have plans for getting the "Early" version too, so that will definitely be the clear nosed version I want to do from that boxing (the "Prototype" Dark Green over Light Grey one).    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stew Dapple said:

Overall dark green? Should be a nice easy painting job then, best of luck :) 

Yup, going to use Tamiya's XF-70 as the dark green and use straight XF-3 to do unspeakable things to it if needed. Then C125 for the cowlings and C58 (I think...) for the leading edge ID bands, but need to see if those were used? 

gee those inside panels look really good, will have to remember how you did that.

She is a nice model, I've just acquired the early version, mainly for the spare canopy which I will now use on my resin one. The Vacform one is/was crap!

Looking forward to seeing the paint job one her.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Really nice work on this.

The cockpit is superb, your method gives a very realistic finish.

🇺🇦

Need to stress, not my method, I just saw and copied someone's else work! Thanks though! 

Anyway, the main colour is down. Suitably futzed with to make it slightly more interesting. 

20220529_200915

In a break from tradition, I applied a basecoat of XF-70 IJN Dark Green #2 to work off of instead of the black primer. Then added increments of XF-3 Yellow to the green to get the above. 

20220529_205134

Then a very dilute layer of XF-70 & a small dash of XF-3 was applied over to tone things down. 

Going to let it cure overnight, and then into the ID bands, Hinomaru's and other various bits and bobs I'm going to spray instead of using decals. 

• Like 8

All the markings I cam spray have been. 

Used C58 Orange Yellow for wing ID stripes

C125 Cowling Color for (shockingly) the cowlings

C385 IJN Red for the Hinomaru's and tail markings. 

Gloss coat, a few decals and onto panel lining and weathering! Nearly done! 

20220604_220426

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Jeez, got a bit sidetracked since last I posted, but the Irving is done! Nothing special done, usual oil paint and pigments to make it look a bit used, some 0.01mm rigging I finally got for all the aerial wires etc. Will post the rest of the poorly taken pics in the gallery. 

20220731_111524

• Like 3

• Evil_Toast_RSA changed the title to Build #2: Tamiya 1/48 J1N1-Sa Gekko (Irving) - COMPLETED 31/07/2022

well done on completing her, she looks amazing!!!!

You've done a really nice job and the finish is perfect.

I am now really glad I bought a Tamiya one.

Thank you for joining use here, great build to follow and i hope you enjoyed it.

• Like 1