First, Last and always

1/48 spitfires first and last

eduard 1/48 Early spitfire. Built OOB, lovely kit, but the decals are abit of a let down.

Built as K9797 11th production aircraft built, 19 squadron,  crashed april 1939.

Airfix 1/48 Spitfire F24, cockpit detailed using left over eduard parts, eduard etched and some scatchbuilding.

quickboost uppercowl and exhusts, quickboost prop and spinner and barracuda studios carburator intake.

decals from the box and where very nice, found a couple of photos of this aircraft so 'weathered' it to match.

Built as VN318, Hong Kong auxiliary air force, crash landed april 1955.

thanks for looking

20220504_143714

20220504_143805

20220504_143848 20220504_143901

20220504_143758
  • Like 29
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Lovely work there!

I hope you were listening to the Sisters of Mercy when you composed the title for this thread.

Best album they ever did.

Very nice indeed.

There's only one thing better than a great looking Spitfire and that's two great looking Spitfires.

I like the idea displaying the first and the last. It gives a good visual comparison of how the Spitfire developed.

Chris.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cngaero said:

Very nice indeed.

There's only one thing better than a great looking Spitfire and that's two great looking Spitfires.

I like the idea displaying the first and the last. It gives a good visual comparison of how the Spitfire developed.

Chris.

Besides the canopy the most surprising difference is the size of the vertical stabilizer.  I know going to the bubble canopy requires a stabilizer size increase but that is quite a difference.

38 minutes ago, BleedingBlue said:

Besides the canopy the most surprising difference is the size of the vertical stabilizer.  I know going to the bubble canopy requires a stabilizer size increase but that is quite a difference.

The size of the canopy has little or nothing to do with the increase in fin size.  The Spitfire 22 and 24 had over twice the installed horsepower of the early Mk  Is and a greater forward moment arm (longer and heavier).  The taolplane size also increased incrementally throughout development of the Spitfire family to cater for this and the destabilising effect of progressively bigger propellers and external stores whilst maintaining controllability and manoeuvrability.

58 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The size of the canopy has little or nothing to do with the increase in fin size.  The Spitfire 22 and 24 had over twice the installed horsepower of the early Mk  Is and a greater forward moment arm (longer and heavier).  The taolplane size also increased incrementally throughout development of the Spitfire family to cater for this and the destabilising effect of progressively bigger propellers and external stores whilst maintaining controllability and manoeuvrability.

I can't argue that increased hp/torque would definitely want to make the plane rotate more and additional stabilization would be needed.  However, I know that they had to add fillets to the vertical stabilizers of the P-51 and P-47 to improve yaw control going from the razorback to the bubble tops.  I assumed that the Spitfire needed the same sort of help with yaw, but as you mentioned that may be insignificant compared to the other effects.

On 04/05/2022 at 17:03, invidia said:

"thanks for looking"

I'm glad I did look; these are quite excellent! Wonderfull looking aircraft and its always nice to see the changes from the production models to the latest/last models, lovely paint job, both very nice indeed, thanks for sharing them!😀👍

I didnt know if I was going to add any spitfires to my USAAF collection (my whole collection of kits and diecast is based mainly on USAAF aircraft), but tbh a collection is not a proper collection without at least a couple. I have four of them, 3 of which are based on the RAF Eagle Squadrons and one a desert fighter; I have another desert Spitfire to build and one I am in the process of buying that is a Mk.11 USAAF PRU "Photo Joe" aircraft which will both be great additions! 

Yours are Wonderfull looking models, no mistake!:cool: