Prince Albert's AVRO 504J colours?

AMB

I am building a series of Royal Flight aircraft models and the earliest is the AVRO 504J, C4451, that Prince Albert learnt to fly in during June 1919.

However I am unsure of what colour it was?   In an issue of SAM . Mike Keep's drawing show it as silver overall, but the replica in the Southampton Hall of Aviation has it painted in natural linen (cream) overall. The two poor photos I have seen are inconclusive. Does anyone know which is correct?   

Edited by AMB

I have a book published by the long gone Daily Graphic which contains a photograph

of C4451.The rear fuselage from the lacing aft of the rear cockpit back is IMO clear doped 

linen.From, the lacing forward,darker CDL.The serial No is midway between the fuselage roundel

and the l/e of the tailplane with the letter half the height of the numbers.

The cowlings are polished aluminium.

As the wings are edge on ,no useful detail is visible.

Sorry I can`t post pictures.

HTH

Derek S

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 2:34 PM, derekS said:

I have a book published by the long gone Daily Graphic which contains a photograph

of C4451.The rear fuselage from the lacing aft of the rear cockpit back is IMO clear doped 

linen.From, the lacing forward,darker CDL.The serial No is midway between the fuselage roundel

and the l/e of the tailplane with the letter half the height of the numbers.

The cowlings are polished aluminium.

As the wings are edge on ,no useful detail is visible.

Sorry I can`t post pictures.

HTH

Derek S

Thanks Derek, someone else is of the same opinion and that's how I have finished mine.