Revell 1/48th scale Dornier Do 217 E-5 Finished

A long time stash lurker gets revived due to a group build(Mainly so I can crib tips and find lots of info)👍

Y1l5Vm.jpg

Laid out in all its glory in my organized and tidy work area................................................

dcXFcn.jpg

Will be doing the version from 4./KG100 with the high demarcation line and side mottling, Well, That's the plan.

• Like 8

It also gets round the problem of the joint as on some other kits - my Frog 17-Z for example, though on that one it is covered by the white walkway? lines. I presume this is yet another re-boxing of the Italaeri kit as it was then,  that started life as a K1 in 1977. As I said elsewhere they certainly got good value from the moulds!

Pete

Later,

Ignore the above as I have just realised it is 1/48 - really must get some new reading glasses!:banghead:

Edited by PeterB

Hi @Carts,

good to see the large Do 217 getting some love. A great kit but seldomly seen built 👍

1 hour ago, vppelt68 said:

WOW, that's a very interesting way to split the  fuselage and wingparts

A typical Revell move: A parts layout to allow multiple variants (new forward fuselage for K and M-variant, Daimler Benz engines for the M, long wing for K/M subvariants) but without ever using this options. They did the same on the Bv 222 and on the Ju 290 they could have released the whole family too. 

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1

My understanding is that the Dornier  and the Ju.52 did not sell in the expected numbers, which would explain why they are not more commonly seen as finished models.  I suspect that this read across to their large 1/72 kits too, despite the considerable justified praise heaped on them.  However the change of ownership appears to have reduced any chance of seeing any major variant re-releases of these subjects.

• Like 2

Been cracking on with the interior, as my knowledge of the Do 217 is right on a par with my understanding of quantum physics the idea was to make it look busy, and not much will be visible once all closed up 

xdzO37.jpg

In situ 

EaxhfC.jpg

I think the fuselage join may cause me some problems

rvsrVq.jpg

Still good fun being had :)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Chalk me up as another who thinks your cockpit detailing is excellent. Really nice work there :)

James

• Like 1

Thanks all for your comments👍 No matter how I tried to "fettle" it, I really couldn't get the top fuselage to fit without an obvious "step" being visible, So placed some spacers in the fuselage to bow it out, seems to have worked.

64F7N1.jpg

Unfortunately I seem to be heading towards the horror that is masking🤪 Did manage to pick up a mask set so should be less of a pain

85t6fM.jpg

The engines just really snapped neatly into place

pB4wgk.jpg

• Like 8

The glide bomb is an intresting subject in its self . Good fix on th efuselage and the upper wing joins look like they worked out well .

Are you going to do  this in luftwaffe maritime colours ?

On 5/14/2022 at 5:24 PM, Mottlemaster said:

The glide bomb is an intresting subject in its self . Good fix on th efuselage and the upper wing joins look like they worked out well .

Are you going to do  this in luftwaffe maritime colours ?

Will be doing the version from 4./KG100 with the high demarcation line and side mottling, Well, That's the plan.👍it may change

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My router decided to give up the ghost and shuffle off to internet heaven, Having been without the distraction of the internet, rapid progress made on the Dornier👍

Getting masked up 

ZVQlJI.jpg

NAPbxl.jpg

Getting some paint on 

rMQmol.jpg

As of this evening.

AsZWFK.jpg

ljP6zK.jpg

• Like 9

Wow, great progress. Shows that hanging around in modelling forums adversely affects ... well, modelling :D I really like the mottling you've done, looks excellent. Guess we'll see her in the Gallery soon?

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1