Yak-3 Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48

Continuing with my project to build a fighter aircraft from as many nations as possible participating in WW2, up next is Russia.  While most of the Russian WW2 planes don't really blow my socks off from an aesthetic standpoint I've always thought the Yak-3 was a handsome machine.  This was my first time building a kit from Eduard and I was pleased with the ease of the build.  I generally found it equivalent to the Hobby Boss and Tamiya kits I have built recently.  I will say that there is a good bit of difference in complexity and detail in the Weekend Edition kits.  I have a Mk. IX Spitfire in the stash and it is night and day different in the level of detail from this kit.  I did have a few minor complaints, the doors for the tail wheel had no place to sit so they were difficult to get even.  The same for the landing gear.  There was no pin and the assembly made it difficult to get both legs aligned properly.  The kit was straight OOB other than a few details.  I drilled out holes for the guns, drilled holes in the tail and canopy for the antenna wire, and added dividers to the radiator inlets in the wings.  The decals are a bit thick but they behaved nicely other than a bit of silvering I couldn't get out.  I used Mission Models paints; RLM 74, Medium Gray, and mixed my own blue with RLM78/white/yellow.  Wash was thinned burnt umber oil paint and chipping was with a silver pencil.  Hope you enjoy the photos (I added a group shot of my recent builds at the end).

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by BleedingBlue
  • Like 29

• BleedingBlue changed the title to Yak-3 Eduard Weekend Edition 1/48

This is a very nice Yak-3!

This was your first Eduard kit, it dates back to 1998. Its quality is in no way comparable to their later kits.

Try their Spitfire, Mustang or 109 and you will be definitely surprised.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, VolkerR. said:

This is a very nice Yak-3!

This was your first Eduard kit, it dates back to 1998. Its quality is in no way comparable to their later kits.

Try their Spitfire, Mustang or 109 and you will be definitely surprised.

Thanks.  I didn't look up the dates, but I assumed that was the case.  I do have a Mk. IX Spitfire I'm planning to build soon and there is definitely a difference in the details.

32 minutes ago, Maginot said:

Nice work. But did you follow protocol and finish it in a weekend? 🤓

Thank you. I did not, I mostly worked on it after the kids went to bed.   Weekends in the spring are reserved for fishing. 

• Like 1