Fujimi 1/350 Japanese Carrier Hiryu

I've hinted that this ship exists in my collection when I posted a picture of another ship that had it in the background, so I thought I might as well put some pictures of her on the site for you to enjoy. So this is the Fujimi 1/350 offering of the Japanese carrier Hiryu, one of the six Pearl Harbor carriers that were so important to IJN success and then failure in the Pacific. The kit itself was augmented with Fujimi's own "detail up" kits, there's enough detail in here that I didn't see the need to look elsewhere for more. I also added a few more aircraft than the kit came with - the eagle-eyed among you can probably work it out (even without knowing the ship markings on the fuselage), the less detailed ones are spares from Hasegawa extra's I had. I've taken my usual liberal approach to historical accuracy when it comes to painting (artistic license I'm calling it) and to the aircraft on deck (Japanese doctrine at the time would rarely have had the three aircraft types on deck at the same time), but I'm pretty happy with the outcome, she's a nice looking ship - sleeker than Akagi and Kaga, but not too sleek. Hope you enjoy.

6ZvUtUjHfFLWhFf1q1f7mrEqCUj3ghMJ9dL6_xnr

CLqD0ORc5m2n_tsW8opPz1aIlOOcoYk9T8KWhnmq

eleDqyDgqULXbPZ2SATVflqpnHS5nnV8frYhT7ae

TbLNe6urr1QO7JyDEfe_UNCj5eVKs371KbOp1SAQ

84GENclOaAwbthPHQlnv7y3fPAERN1QS-1NSnZ6I

uxvseQ9glVzdm-QSM7gZJntyP63yvtp1oadL02gz

e8chNsAG2R93911RC22WMCQRYDFBN0h9FFR2jCC_

tvQrCKY1htguHxQCqTG6e3xFQ6Q6UcohTZsBEv7U

2eQpY8g0g3vjH6ao9Vtshgbv8XFSJscL5Haj2bqP

3w33qx6x1QOZg9iRL7r_zDfrkZJ3gPU2ExqrlLfu

OLwSWa0dtAczu3Izq1z403dUuVpfSBorRx81X9BE

pXcEzaCBmp-qOqWml6iIFbNLLDE71aQfzanRfBST

_MJtxmmVGaIfHf36kjt7fGJTsbmKioVly_dgmSp3

3u4Ol-lMswa1TFE5ghvnlAy76QnXnvFBIOKVtWzS

AEWkKeGN0LnmmQaz76Gp3QK61I657IpBXamZRXF0

mwMSs0K7ABhPS3tDob1PrwdI3nB487lBq7TLf7nv

KoSlR42R9hj6ApnhVp3IKXIT_d-3NwcOCkDT5EJy

• Like 43
  • Thanks 2

She really looks great, wonderfully clean and neat, she's unusual as well with her island position, I'm getting a little hooked on Japanese carriers, trouble is I only have x number of kidney to sell lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, S-boat 55 said:

She really looks great, wonderfully clean and neat, she's unusual as well with her island position, I'm getting a little hooked on Japanese carriers, trouble is I only have x number of kidney to sell lol

Some of the kits do seem like that sort of money, like the Very Fire Taiho

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Micha_Pol said:

Great work, lots very delicate-looking PE and nice painting, esp the camo on the planes. Is it the picture, or is the outward starboard propeller missig one of its blades?

Missing blade, sadly. Very easy to break off when fitting to bases like this one. But you know, we have standards to maintain 😄

The beauty of this ship is breath-taking - the original as well as your fine model. I love the detail. What a dedication to tiny stuff! It's great to see the Japanese carriers as they really looked like, not on those blurred pictures taken in 1941/42.

I know you call it 'artistic license' and it adds to the variety on deck, but all of Hiryu's planes had two blue stripes around the rear fuselage. They rarely (or actually never) happened to land on another carrier, except for a few CAP fightes after three of the flat-tops were sunk at Midway.

Let's see more of those carriers!

Michael

• Thanks 1

This is a spectacular model, one of those you could just stare at all day, finding fresh interest everywhere. What a shame you put the island on the wrong side though 😉😂

Really impressive, the PE details are meticulously done 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This really is incredible, I'm amazed at how neat all your PE work is, i can't see a single blob of glue on any of the railings (or anywhere for that matter!). Thanks for letting us have a look

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...