Ukraine Tribute Build - 1/72 Modelsvit Antonov An-225 Mriya

spacer.png

Superb model of the mighty giant!

There was a touching interview in the New York Times with Mriya's first pilot, Mr. Halunenko, 76 years old:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/22/world/europe/ukraine-airplane-russia-war-mriya.html?searchResultPosition=4

It may be behind a paywall, but it's cheap for a month's subscription.

Kind regards,

Joachim

Long live Ukraine!

merlin_205669902_d8a71f97-63e2-44fd-9070

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dispite your mentioned problems,you did a marvelous job on this giant.

A wonderful tribute to the original

A true piece of art that you can be mighty proud of 👏👏👏👍👍

• Thanks 1

WOW! that is some impressive modelling !

I really like it. It was a good call to go with the cheaper auto paint solution.

It's quite sad this aircraft in real life has been destroyed .

You are fortunate to have a planned place to display it. If i tried to display such a large model my partner would leave my body in a dumpster .. with said model inserted in my body posing a bizzare conundrum for the Coroner..

Very well done indeed Sir!

Regards, Andy

• Thanks 1

Well, more often than not we are our own worst critics. But despite all hardship during the build be assured that calling your result a "genuine 3-footer" is really selling short the wonderful result you've achieved.

Heroyam slava!🇺🇦

Cheers

Markus

• Thanks 1

Quite a few people have asked me how I was going to display the Mriya, so here's the proof of concept rig that will be refined after I've taken the model to an IPMS meeting on May 17.

spacer.png

file.php?id=140329

file.php?id=140330

• Like 10

Absolutely superb modelling. And a great subject - are the other models in your display case also 1:72? That would really show just how big the aircraft was. Gawd, I hate to use past tense in that sentence.

Viva 🇺🇦

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Absolutely superb modelling. And a great subject - are the other models in your display case also 1:72? That would really show just how big the aircraft was. Gawd, I hate to use past tense in that sentence.

Viva 🇺🇦

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks, Bill, yes, all 1/72 scale,

• Like 2

What an incredible build process and an amazing model! Congratulations to you.

I think I saw that plane maybe at Frankfurt airport a couple of years back parked on the tarmac as we took off or landed. Could that be?

Losing this great plane is perhaps a small thing amongst the awful human tragedy of civilians being targeted and cities and towns shelled and bombed out during the blatant aggression we're witnessing with horror. But it's also quite symbolic and a good tribute to the Mriya and the tremendous loss its destruction represents to the provision of large scale humanitarian assistance that the Mriya so excelled at.

Great model and a great loss. 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2022 at 05:38, Kiwikitbasher said:

Four spinal surgeries have left me unable to stand for more than a few minutes before pain forces me to sit for a minute to relieve the muscle spasms. So I worked in bursts of 2-4 minutes, maximum, standing bent over a model. The other problem I had with this build is that for most modelling I can brace my arms against my bench to help control my Parkinson's hand tremors and spasmodic jerks I experience, but this build had me standing over the model and working with my arms unbraced

I salute you for your amazing work on a absolutely awesome An-225. Be proud of your model, I would be if it were mine. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

Is that the biggest aircraft model ever? You did a splendid job of it.

Thanks, I think it is in terms of length and bulk, although the 1/72 A-Model Hughes H-4 Spruce goose and 1/48 scale HpH B-36 both have greater wingspans but shorter lengths, and both of their fuselages are a lot smaller in volume than the 1/72 An-225. I can't think of any other larger aircraft kits these three, but stand to be corrected.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, Jochen Barett said:

Thanks for doing it in the right scale!

You mean to say there are scales other than 1/72? I've heard rumours that there are other scales but dismissed them as nonsense as I didn't think anyone would want to build in other than the One True Scale of 6 feet to the inch!

• Haha 4

• 1 month later...

Great build Kiwikitbasher! Compliments for your perseverance, especially because you have issues with your health.

I just finished my Modelsvit An-225 about 3 days ago:

Took me almost 2 years to finish it. A lot of difficulties with this kit, like with the hundreds of gear parts as you mentioned, a complete nightmare.

I don’t see many of these kits being built, mostly collectors who buy them so congratulations with this beautiful build! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wolfhound32 said:

Great build Kiwikitbasher! Compliments for your perseverance, especially because you have issues with your health.

I just finished my Modelsvit An-225 about 3 days ago:

Took me almost 2 years to finish it. A lot of difficulties with this kit, like with the hundreds of gear parts as you mentioned, a complete nightmare.

I don’t see many of these kits being built, mostly collectors who buy them so congratulations with this beautiful build! 

Thanks, Wolfhound, that's generous of you to say having done such a superlative job of your one. Mine is a meagre effort in comparison, but I can take some comfort in that I am a member of a fairly small club of those who have built the kit. Are you aware of any others?

You are right Kiwikitbasher, we are part a unique small club of ‘Modelsvit Antonov’ builders…

Until now I only saw pictures of 3 other built 1:72 An-225’s on the Internet.

I still have an ‘Aircraft In Miniature 1:72 Wright Flyer’ Photoetch kit in my stash; I want to build that kit also, the Mriya and the Wright Flyer are the biggest icons in the history of flight for me.

• Thanks 1

That is one uber impressive build Mark, in size, skill, perseverance & overwhelming presence, & that without mentioning what it represents to aviation enthusiasts & right minded people around the world. Bravo you. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1