Blenheim leather seat color(s).

Spit Fan

Hi All,  I wondering if there was a specified leather color for seat cushions, back pads and head rests in WW2 RAF aircraft? Over the years I have seen leather in colored images and model builds in Black, mainly Spitfires, Dark Brown, light brown and dark greens Lancaster’s.  I am currently working on the Airfix 1/48th Blenheim and note that the instructions list one color Humbrol  #62 (leather brown) for the observer and gunners seat but a different color, Humbrol #83 (ochre?) for the pilots seat.

Colored pictures in the Valiant “Airframe Album No.5 The Bristol Blenheim “ show the pilot’s seat and a rear fuselage seat next to the turret, in a light drab green.  The observer’s seat and seat back and the forward seat in a medium green. The gunners turret seat is in a light brown. These of course are in the rebuilt MK.I in the UK. Other images show them in black.  I understand that restored aircraft do not necessarily reflect original  equipment and colors of war time aircraft.  

Did the color depend on the manufacturer, the supplier, the time frame the aircraft was built.  Would all the leather items be the same color or could there be a mix of colors?  What color would you use if you were building this kit?  Any information greatly appreciated and as always many thanks in advance. John R

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Spit Fan,

How I'd love to find a period colour photo of a Blenheim cockpit :)!   Anyway, many years ago I briefly corresponded with someone involved with the gun turrets at the Yorkshire Air Museum and when I asked them what the colour of the leather seat cushions in the gun turrets was he told me this just depended upon the supplier.   So you could have black, brown or green seats depending upon who delivered the "upholstery".

Guess this may well have applied to aircraft production too, assuming the aircraft manufacturer in question did not have an in-house upholstery department.   Not a definite answer but would make sense IMHO.

Cheers,

Walter

• Like 1

Hi Walter, many thanks for your reply. I had a feeling that the color(s) would depend on which supplier provided the the leather items. Given this I would imagine  that it wouldn’t be that unusual to find a mix of colors in one airframe. I ended up painting the  seats dark brown. I’m not totally happy with the color but there is still time to change it if I can find a shade I like better. 

If anyone from Airfix read this please consider releasing the Blenheim MK.IVF sooner than later!  John R