QF-86E Drone Markings

Terry1954

I'm currently at the decal stage of building a US Army QF-86E drone in 1/72 scale. No WIP for this currently, but an RFI will follow.

I have Microscale set 72-288 which has marking for a QF-86F serial number 23215, a US Army Aircraft. Although the notes with the Microscale decals claim this aircraft is an F, the excellent publication Naval Fighters number 58 covering all QF-86 versions, shows all US Army QF-86's as E's. The real question I have is did these drones carry all normal stencils as per regular squadron F-86's?

I'm inclined to think they did, but wondered if anyone else had a view that suggested not? The microscale sheet (and the donor Academy F-86) have ample stencils, so I have no shortage!

I wondered if our resident F-86 expert, Duncan @Sabrejet has a view?

Many thanks

Terry

The US Army QF-86E were all ex RCAF Sabre 5 & 6 aircraft. 23215 was the RCAF Serial Number. It became N2291B when registered.  There are pictures of 23145, 23219, and 23315 where you can still see the remains of the RCAF titles on the fuselage.  In both these there are no stencils to be seen at all. Most drone sabres even the Navy ones seemed to carry very few if any stencils.

You will find Naval Fighters 58 was in fact written by Duncan. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Julien said:

You will find Naval Fighters 58 was in fact written by Duncan. 

Thanks. Yes I was aware of that. The situation seems a bit variable re stencils, as I can see evidence of some, in some pictures, but others seem devoid of any.

Artistic licence called for I think!

Thanks again.

Terry

Terry,

There doesn't appear to have been an intentional drive to remove any stencilling from the QF-86Es; neither was there any effort made to reapply. Therefore it really depends on the state of the airframe: in most cases these had seen long service and then been stored in the open at Moncton so any stencilling was faded and/or peeling. I made a large scan of Sabre 5 s/n 23289 undergoing conversion to a QF-86E in August 1977 to give an idea of the condition of stencilling (the linked photo is 2500 pixels wide). Note also the ghost of the 'R' in 'RCAF' on the fuselage side.

23289 N99594 Aug77

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

Terry,

There doesn't appear to have been an intentional drive to remove any stencilling from the QF-86Es; neither was there any effort made to reapply. Therefore it really depends on the state of the airframe: in most cases these had seen long service and then been stored in the open at Moncton so any stencilling was faded and/or peeling. I made a large scan of Sabre 5 s/n 23289 undergoing conversion to a QF-86E in August 1977 to give an idea of the condition of stencilling (the linked photo is 2500 pixels wide). Note also the ghost of the 'R' in 'RCAF' on the fuselage side.

Very informative, thanks Duncan.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

erry,

Thats an immense help Duncan, and the picture is superb. Thank you!

Terry

• Like 1