Jump to content

Novo Gloster Javelin 1/72


Recommended Posts

Here's a build that I finished last month, but have only just had the time to Photograph. This is the Novo 1/72 rendition of the Gloster Javelin.

 

I built this very kit in the 80's straight from the box and painted it in gloss paint as per the instructions. I remember is being an ill fitting kit and once finished looked very toy like. Fast forward to last year and I came across the kit for an acceptable price on eBay. I was overcome by nostalgia and wondered if the current self could bring the kit up to date.

 

For those who don't know, the box is quite weighty for its size. Once opened is apparent why. Flash is everywhere and the sprues are as thick as pencils. Also the mouldings themselves seem very thick. I treated myself to some metal antenna/pointy things for the wingtips and a replacement corrected nose.

 

The kit has been fully rescribed with some pane lines added that were missing. The kit itself went together surprisingly well with the only real problem areas being where the wings connected to the fuselage.

 

The decals were less than useless. Despite my best efforts they just basically turned to dust when soaked. I put a shout out for help and a huge thank you to @Navy Bird for coming to my rescue with the decals I needed to complete the build.

 

I used Vajello model air on the upper surfaces, Alclad 2 for the natural metal underside and finished it all off with a Flory wash. To be honest I'm hugely pleased with the result and it looks magnificent in my display case.

 

Many thanks to all for looking and enjoy the photos.

4BE59894-5A2D-41C0-B0FA-AB5FAF232BAF 8F93C0FB-CFDB-4107-98F8-463B0B4AB231 81AA7224-C4AF-4ED8-A0C7-232F6CCC4F8D 286B5D8B-0DFE-4929-8C4F-C2CAE1DC08C8 ADB8749E-AB9D-4828-9E97-20BC3995034F E79AC1C7-0629-476F-B57C-27B3C5E389A0_1_201_a 9AE0927F-E3EC-4ACD-B24A-25B722407882 5E9B4A6E-6DC0-43C8-AFE1-4309F307158B 431F8710-8BAC-40BA-BC39-4926B02DB29E_1_201_a

 

  • Like 50
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great work tarting up the old gal. The scribing must have been a real pain - ask me how I know! Removing all the flash must have been tedious as well. I couldn't believe how much there was when I opened my kit. Man, we really need a modern new tool Javelin in 70-tooth scale.

 

Glad I could help with the decals. They look better on a model than than do sitting in an old shoe box.    :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Lovely build and end result! Really enjoy seeing people having a crack at old kits also, KP/Kopro next? 🙂

Edited by Tallyho
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic work rescribing this Frog kit. Really nice to see one of these completed. I rescribed this kit many years ago & foolishly ended up removing the cockpit tub with the aim of scratch building a new one. Back in the box it went & that's where it has stayed for years. 

Excellent work.

 

Martin

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Great work tarting up the old gal. The scribing must have been a real pain - ask me how I know! Removing all the flash must have been tedious as well. I couldn't believe how much there was when I opened my kit. Man, we really need a modern new tool Javelin in 70-tooth scale.

 

Glad I could help with the decals. They look better on a model than than do sitting in an old shoe box.    :)

 

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill. I actually forgot what an imposing aircraft it was. Also the history of the aircraft surely makes it a deserving subject for a new tooled kit. Come on Airfix, downscale your 1/48

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Your Javelin looks great! I agree with the others: The Javelin is one of the largest remaining gaps in the 1/72-market today. We need a state-of-the-art kit for all those of us who do not possess your skills and patience to rescribe and update the Frog Javelin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great upgrade work. The end result is a very fine rendition of the old kit:like:.  It would have been interesting to see the first one you built all those years ago next to it, expect its long gone though.

Pete

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Tallyho said:

Lovely build and end result! Really enjoy seeing people having a crack at old kits also, KP/Kopro next? 🙂

Me too now.  I really wasn’t looking forward to this one, but really enjoyed bringing it up to date and making my own mark on it. I’d highly recommend anyone having a go, the sen e of achievement when it’s completed is fantastic

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

Great upgrade work. The end result is a very fine rendition of the old kit:like:.  It would have been interesting to see the first one you built all those years ago next to it, expect its long gone though.

Pete

I wish I’d still got it, unfortunately it’s long gone. Probably met the same sad fate as a lot of real aircraft, used as for target practice, but in this case my mates air rifle. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's an exceptional result from the old Frog/Novo kit.  The panel line scribing alone is outstanding and the overall finish is first class - well done!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scrubs up OK doesn't it? I have one in the stash to do. And one original built but not scribed. Very tempting to have a go with a pointy thing.

You have made an excellent rendering of the old Flying Flatiron.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Hairtrigger said:

Tremendous.   To take such an old basic kit to that level must be very satisfying..

Thank you. It is very satisfying to make an old kit look acceptable next to modern kits. I'd recommend everyone build an old kit now and again. 

 

20 hours ago, Vultures1 said:

That's an exceptional result from the old Frog/Novo kit.  The panel line scribing alone is outstanding and the overall finish is first class - well done!

Thanks for your comments. 

 

20 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Scrubs up OK doesn't it? I have one in the stash to do. And one original built but not scribed. Very tempting to have a go with a pointy thing.

You have made an excellent rendering of the old Flying Flatiron.

Thank you for your kind comments, I'm really pleased with the way it turned out. To be honest the scribing was relatively easy as there are nots of straight lines and flat surfaces. Go one, do it. Have a go. You know you want to 😈

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is a fantastic result on this lump of plastic. I know what you mean about the box feeling rather heavy when the plastic was inside!

 

I have one of these under my work bench and, being a Novo boxing I just need a set of transfers for it, one day, one day. I will be very happy if mine turns out half as good as yours.

 

Ray

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/05/2022 at 18:39, Ray S said:

That is a fantastic result on this lump of plastic. I know what you mean about the box feeling rather heavy when the plastic was inside!

 

I have one of these under my work bench and, being a Novo boxing I just need a set of transfers for it, one day, one day. I will be very happy if mine turns out half as good as yours.

 

Ray

Thanks for you kind comments Ray. There’s nothing too difficult about it, it just needs a little patience and TLC. I really enjoyed building it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...