First Diorama, Tamiya 1/35 Wespe, Some Mud, a Road and some Fuel Drums/Crates

So, as I am trying to fill a gap before starting y next build (Canadian GB) I thought "why not, lets build my first base"... so I yanked out a small photo frame, added card "formers", coated in acryllic binder and then clagged AK Interactive textured mud, some stones & soil from garden... and this is how it looks....

IMG-20220502-141009.jpg

and with Wespe placed  in position....

IMG-20220502-135823.jpg

IMG-20220502-135834.jpg

IMG-20220502-135842.jpg

Any tips/tricks/vidoes I could look at (follow NightShift so using him as my workflow)....

so next - more stones/soil, some dry grass, some other grass (don't have a full applicator so any options?)

I may even add some figures!!!!!

• Like 5

Hello Rob

Nice work. If it was mine I'd tone down the rust patches as the real vehicle would not be in that state. Maybe a bit more dirt and dust though, especially on the wheels.

One or two figures would certainly look good too. I don't have a static grass applicator either but it tends to work out OK for me if I just chuck it on. Some of the grass sticks up. The rest? We'll, it's been trampled under foot.. 😄

Looking forward to seeing how it develops. 👍

Ian

• Like 1

Hi Rob,

Not a bad start their.

Personally I don’t mind the rust, maybe if it has been hit by a bit of spang then maybe? But does look like it might need a bit of dust adding.
  I agree with Ian on the grass though, same as me, I don’t have an applicator but your working in a smallish space so bit of pva and whatever sticks up then happy days.

You can make your own tufts and long grass from jute twine or rope or plumbers hemp or thick grass like reeds from pound shop brush bristles. Ive used all these. Last time I used the twine and individually pasted the clumps into place, let it dry/set and then used oil  paints to paint the grass (green at bottom and straw coloured at top).

Are you gonna paint the frame? 
   Maybe think about where the diorama is situated and get yourself some nice ref pics for that area they will give you ideas as well. 
  If this wespe is in Italy then you can add a home made olive tree for instance (wire wrapped and twisted into shape, coated in milli put and then painted. Add your foliage and voila.) It really depends on your desired setting. 
  My go-to for any diorama hints and tips is cw modelling (he’s on most platforms but mainly you tube) He does amazing stuff. 
  Defo on the figures. If you can then go resin for them, a couple alpine Or evolution figures would be good.

Edited by Muchmirth
Spellibg
  • Like 1

Thanks both.... The rust I am not 109% on either, but need to weather the Wespe fully  (which is also why the wheels look pristine)...

Think I will risk just a small pouch of green (oh we missus) and see.- or maybe make my own, as I said I may not do another but who knows.....

On 5/4/2022 at 1:38 PM, Muchmirth said:

Are you gonna paint the frame? 

most likey yes... if I paint the whole dio (a la NightShift) then the black primer will cover the frame (and will then mask it while painting the rest of the dio

40 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

ooh, a Messerschmitt is being considered as well? 😂

hahahaha doh... not built a plane in 10+ years I think... and never one above 1/48 -)

17 hours ago, robw_uk said:

most likey yes... if I paint the whole dio (a la NightShift) then the black primer will cover the frame (and will then mask it while painting the rest of the dio

No worries, that’ll look good.

so some success with finely cut hemp string... not great but I am just learning... next stop painting

IMG-20220508-191249.jpg

IMG-20220508-191234.jpg

IMG-20220508-191220.jpg

and with a stand in vehicle

IMG-20220508-191416.jpg

• Like 5

Base progressing... green was mix of NATO green and light green kahki (best I had) and earth base was equal parts desert sand, khaki and then a touch of dunkelgelb. Next stop is the enamel wash earth tones and some detail painting.... Wespe still needs to be weathered but thats how it will look (in hindsight more grass where the oil drums/boxes will go may have been better...

IMG-20220514-150850.jpg

IMG-20220514-151724.jpg

IMG-20220514-154515.jpg

IMG-20220514-154522.jpg

IMG-20220514-154532.jpg

IMG-20220514-155445.jpg

IMG-20220514-155435.jpg

• Like 4

earth and mud tones added (Ammo range) plus tried to add in a bit more of the green (wish I had put more grass on, maybe if I build a second diorama)

IMG-20220515-155418.jpg

IMG-20220515-155412.jpg

IMG-20220515-155940.jpg

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 5/3/2022 at 9:42 AM, robw_uk said:

don't have a full applicator so any options?

I built an applicator for about £12.It's much better than those '£30 for a tea strainer' junk you can buy online.It performs just as well,if not better, as the so called professional models that cost anywhere from £80 to £150, and was surprisingly easy to build.You may want to consider this as it will open up a big range of additional possibilites in diorama building.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Melchy1914 said:

I built an applicator for about £12.It's much better than those '£30 for a tea strainer' junk you can buy online.It performs just as well,if not better, as the so called professional models that cost anywhere from £80 to £150, and was surprisingly easy to build.You may want to consider this as it will open up a big range of additional possibilites in diorama building.

cheers, do you have instructions?

25 minutes ago, robw_uk said:

cheers, do you have instructions?

There's loads of youtube vidz on how to do it.Just steer clear of all the ones that show you how to build the tea strainer type.You also have to make sure you get the right type of negative ion generator.A lot of the vidz are also American so i adapted my build to use UK parts which are readily available on places like ebay.I also adapted mine so there is no risk of electric shock, unlike some other applicators.As a result i don't have any instructions as such, but i guess i could do a 'photo tutorial' if enough people are interested in building one.Just one strange question for anyone wishing to build one: Do you like peanut butter?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...