1/32 EA-18G Growler

I have completed the Trumpeter 1/32 EA-18G Growler, my second scale model following my 1/24 Hawker Typhoon.  This is a real beast of a model, 60 cm long and 40 cm wide.  It was not without its issues in getting some parts to fit nicely, my build is a bit clumsy in places and I found painting the large real estate of this model a challenge, particularly the large build up of paint dust getting into the paint finish - I would appreciate some advice on that and also how to prevent cockpit 'fogging' after gluing a masked canopy to the fuselage prior to painting.

Anyway, despite those issues I am still pretty pleased with the outcome, The Super Hornet has always been one of my favorite planes and this one really looks the part.  I have added some fairly heavy weathering to simulate an extended voyage operating off a carrier.

Comments welcomed, particularly on preventing canopy fogging and reducing spraying dust getting into the paint finish.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by MikeR-G
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Nice looking model. Regarding the fogging of the canopy, I try to make sure the fit of the canopy is tight. In those spots where there's a bit of an opening, I apply a thin bead of liquid cement to seal the opening. Done carefully, you won't see the bead when painting is completed. I hope this helps.

9 minutes ago, SAT69 said:

Nice looking model. Regarding the fogging of the canopy, I try to make sure the fit of the canopy is tight. In those spots where there's a bit of an opening, I apply a thin bead of liquid cement to seal the opening. Done carefully, you won't see the bead when painting is completed. I hope this helps.

Thank you for your kind comment and the advice. I normally use Tamiya cement, but used superglue on this occasion, could the fumes from that have caused the fogging on the inside of the canopy?  I don't think any paint leaked in.

Super glue fumes will cause fogging for sure. I used to dip the canopy into Klear that somehow prevents any fogging but I haven't done that in a long time. You can also get a product specifically from Humbrol called Clearfix it's for clear parts as they don't fog the canopy but like mentioned above liquid cement works as well. Also if you're getting paint dust it could be you are holding the airbrush too far away from the surface of the model if so the paint can start to dry before it hits the model and you get a sandpaper feel to the surface. Hope that helps. Great looking model by the way.

3 hours ago, MikeR-G said:

could the fumes from that have caused the fogging on the inside of the canopy? 

Yes, the fumes could. And now that I think about it, an even better way to close those openings at the base of the canopy is an application of clear parts glue. It dries crystal clear and because it's a big thicker will seal the opening better than thin glue. Here in the states, we use Testors Clear Parts Cement And Window Maker. Your comment about fogging reminded me that even think cement "might" cause fogging. The Window Maker doesn't cause fogging.