Hasegawa 1/24 VW T1 Pick-up

Hi all, just finished this in the first 2022 Blitz Build. My third VW T1 completion in a row actually 🙂 

I like the T1's a lot, needless to say. They make for great modelling subjects, and you can go from shiny (which I did with the Camper) to beat up workhorse (which I did with this build), or worse!

The Hasegawa kit is really nice to build, and a huge benefit of the kit over Revell's T1 kits is that this is a one piece (well, two, the cab rear wall is a separate part) body. Other than that, the kit is really basic (no engine, no interior detail to speak of) but what it does splendidly is provide you with a really good looking pick-up version of the T1! Only things I don't like about the kit are the crude wipers and lack of number plate decals. 

It was a quick build even for a Blitz Build, I spent way less than 24 hours on it. The build log is here: 

Paint is Mr Surfacer black primer, then undercoat of Tamiya Red Brown, then Tamiya gloss coat on which I sprinkled salt to create rusty spots. Exterior paint is a random mix of Tamiya Medium Grey, Dark Grey and a bit of Black. I think, can't remember exactly 🙂 

Interior is Tamiya Medium Grey. Bumpers and wheels are not quite black, it was another random mix. Lettering was done in German Grey. Cargo from an abandoned 1/35 scale project but since the VW is not very big it works. The ratchet strap is a KFS item, all moving parts, pretty cool. Zero points for safety though :whistle:

Right, let's have some pics. 

20220502204934-6040e86a-me.jpg

20220502204934-5ffd61ca-me.jpg

20220502204935-eab46fad-me.jpg

20220502204935-3c48bd58-me.jpg

20220502204935-a6bd5263-me.jpg

20220502204933-07ce3852-me.jpg

20220502204932-8781156a-me.jpg

20220502204931-68107f1a-me.jpg

A really fun build and another addition to the Van Dordt fleet 🙂 

I'll be on the lookout for more Hasegawa T1's for sure. Thanks for watching!

• Like 27

4 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

It certainly looks like the Van Dordt company doesn‘t throw out stuff just because it‘s a tad used :) 

No, we like to squeeze our fleet until the last drop 😄

• Haha 4

24 hours for such a cracking build .... I never could do the same in 24 days.

Should I say " very good-looking" about such a battered pick-up? Yeeesss!

Congats Jeroen.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, PattheCat said:

24 hours for such a cracking build .... I never could do the same in 24 days.

Should I say " very good-looking" about such a battered pick-up? Yeeesss!

Congats Jeroen.

Thanks Pat! I can assure you that building something shiny takes waaaay more time than this!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Bengalensis said:

Fantastic work, as always! And in so little time... Impressive!

Thanks Jörgen! I'm beginning to think I should always just slam my builds together. No time to think about stuff too much! 🙂 

Awesome work, Jeroen!

Totally realistic. I love the color you have achieved, and the rusted spots.

The cans also look great.

Long live to Van Dordt company!! 👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Wow!! You did it again...a fantastic looking model, nicely worn. 

Can't believe it's a quicky 🙈

By the way the background, I guess it's the van Dordt company yard looks great to, would like to get some more details about it.

Congratulations 

Marco F 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Marco F. said:

Wow!! You did it again...a fantastic looking model, nicely worn. 

Can't believe it's a quicky 🙈

By the way the background, I guess it's the van Dordt company yard looks great to, would like to get some more details about it.

Congratulations 

Marco F 

Thanks Marco, amazing what you can do in 24 hours if you just go ahead and do it. That's the main reason I like the Blitz Builds so much. 

For the backgrounds, I created a base of painted sandpaper and I had some pictures I took from barns in the area printed, and glued them on foam core sheets. The dimensions took a little tinkering (I used the doors as reference, and an on screen ruler) for 1/24 scale. I also have the one on the right in 1/35 scale. I planned to take more pictures but I'm happy with these, I just use whichever looks best with the build I'm photographing. 

20200709204350-05066c54-me.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Amazing work!

I perceive the real thing (even in the state you depicted) fetches some pretty high prices these days.

They make great classics in restored condition.

Well done on your scale replica!

👏👏

• Thanks 1

Fantastic work.

When i was very young some of these vehicles were still as workhorses around and the looked exactly like this worn out and rusty example.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BerndM said:

Fantastic work.

When i was very young some of these vehicles were still as workhorses around and the looked exactly like this worn out and rusty example.

Thanks a lot Bernd!

• Like 1