HMS Hood in 1/700 by Flyhawk

Been very distracted for the past couple of days. Have been out and about test driving various cars, with the prospect of changing. Anyway, found one that is very nice so order placed   just got to wait now. 

Back to 'ood, I've been working on the fore deck (?) lots of little ventilators and the breakwaters and the first but of PE. I did try to bend out the treads but that is NOT easy at this size.

Think I'm going to have a change of pace and work on the sea base 'ood will be mounted on.

See you all soon.

Jon

p?i=d157630b7473b1244a677d9098e02933

p?i=7826e12263e0102ecc3a8c1792767cc0

Does anyone know what colour these would be, oh and the life rafts ?

p?i=ae41b2a22e07741b569bfbef9ab6479e

• Like 7

I’ve been pottering about with ‘ood and slowly building the bridge, but as the parts are so small I’ve not been taking photo’s, because we all know what closeups look like. So when I’ve done a bit more and it looks like I have I’ll pop some photos on here. It is quite enjoyable as long as I don’t work for too long, these tiny parts are somewhat tiring. 
Jon

• Like 2

As promised a couple of piccy's.

Just to show how small some parts are................

p?i=70ce4af7a0d71ee89e132d1b02f8050b

@robgizlu even these have amazing detail, under a jewellers loupe you can see the operators handle :yikes:crazy.

I've plonked a few bits on the get an idea where things go.

Also inserted some 1/48 Bob's Buckles  @Bobs_Buckles to anchor the funnel stays. 

p?i=79630e7e18af9bee358df6295024760e

And made a start on the sea base.

p?i=4ec130cde18d59e48846420c660e8825

• Like 7
  • Confused 1

On 02/05/2022 at 22:45, Faraway said:

This has been 'burning a hole in my pocket' so to speak, since it was delivered and as I was really struggling to get motivated by my Belfast build, I've decided to suspend Belfast and start this one.

I don't like having two builds on the go, so Belfast is back in its box for a while.

p?i=c37ca26c8e0aa675bbcbd5e6893df227

I won't bore you with photos of lots of tiny parts, on lots of sprues, you'll get to see lots of tiny parts as the build progresses.

This kit comes with lots of additional PE and brass barrels etc.

I've, finally, tracked down a wooden deck for her, it's on its way from Poland, I do wish we didn't have to search the world for these additions. 

I'll be doing her as a waterline display, so I don't need to worry about which shade of grey the antifoul was, this way she will look good :hmmm:along side my Trumpeter 1/700 Bismarck, which I also waterline.

So, without further ado, off I go...........build photos to follow.

See you all soon.

Jon

I had the choice of 1/700 forced on me by the lack of shelf space, but have not regretted it. For as long as my eyes can do it, I will stick to it as I think the challenge of making something this small look real is worth it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcello Rosa said:

lack of shelf space,

I know what you mean. But then I put a ‘sea base’ on and we’re back to 1/350 size. Hey ho.

Jon

• Like 1

On 16/05/2022 at 20:08, Faraway said:

I know what you mean. But then I put a ‘sea base’ on and we’re back to 1/350 size. Hey ho.

Jon

If you do an ever so slightly bigger sea base there Jon you might just be able to squeeze on a destroyer or two! Or maybe even a cruiser...

David

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Adm Lord De Univers said:

If you do an ever so slightly bigger sea base there Jon you might just be able to squeeze on a destroyer or two! Or maybe even a cruiser...

David

Hmmm. Maybe.😜

But WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ? Building The Mighty ‘ood at this scale is bad enough.....but smaller ship ? 😱
Please......have a little thought for my ancient eyes. 😉

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Please......have a little thought for my ancient eyes. 😉

Pooh, they seem mighty fine to me on the basis of this work! Think of the space savings too. You may want to invest in cucumbers though - to help with the aftermath.

David

PS. The Electra would look mighty nice next to her. Flyhawk do a nice Naiad too...

Forward funnel fixed and stays rigged. I've also added a bit more to the bridge structure, by 'eck this stuff is tiny.

Don't look too closely, it looks much better with the NAKED eye.

Areas of paint to touch up, but it's coming on.

p?i=35ec7fff1ab4ec88fdf3742982c018a3

p?i=830f38aa577d19368b9bf9acf5d06c23

Also, I think I've got to grips with most, those that matter anyway, of the controls and settings of my new car. So "the mighty 'ood" can come back to centre stage.

Jon

• Like 8

Gidday Jon, the Mighty 'Ood looks superb. I wish you were doing this when I was altering my Airfix kit as these pictures would have helped me decipher the drawings I had.

And good luck with the new car.     Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, steve5 said:

impressive work jon , but this stuff is too small for me .

It’s getting a bit small for me too.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just when I thought things couldn't get any smaller...................

p?i=72859aa79eda239750baa0f77194276b

I think they are mounted binoculars.

Here they are in position.

p?i=2e2966dbf8a656350253bfeb3d4de8f0

Please to be ignoring the paint finish, erm, it's NOT finished yet.

Component parts of the 8 barrel PomPom.

p?i=e2ee22011d599943ae28922e685450d1

And assembled with railings added.

p?i=1eed39a283226d824c8ec59311a6733a

As a slight deviation from "The Mighty 'ood" I was wandering around, lost in webspace when I happened across this site......

https://www.neomega-resin.com/ships-163-c.asp

I was looking for inspiration for my next project/build, I seem to spend hours looking for that that doesn't exist. I do really like to build the unusual and not being as gifted as @robgizlu and his Barrage Balloon Drifter (it is SO good) I was delighted to find this................

p?i=1a087e72930d72614be0c4cdbce2757c

Not a gun in sight, although I do believe some were armed.

Well, one thing led to another and although my CC did put up quite a fight, it was always going to loose, so this little beauty is on its way to me, oh and these also.....

p?i=6b25d1b42926819fe5ee1ecdf518e9da

It didn't seem quite right to have her as a waterline build, on a seascape without a crew.

Jon

• Like 7

Gidday Jon, aren't you glad those binoculars don't have their focusing rings. 🙂 

It was 24th May 1941 that she was sunk with only three survivors of her crew. RIP.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

she was sunk with only three survivors of her crew. RIP.

Have you read the book of her history, written partly by one of the survivors ?Fascinating.

Jon

12 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Been a bit amiss on here lately just caught up and your doing a great job there Jon.  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

It’s ok. But there is a lot I’m not happy with, it’s just too small. It’ll definitely be my last 1/700, at least I can say I tried, but it will be nice to have it next to Bismarck.

Jon

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steve5 said:

nice work jon , those little fellers , look like they are going to be fun to paint . 

They’re not small ! :rofl: They’re at LEAST 11mm tall, compared to some of the parts on “the mighty ‘ood” they are positively HUGE.:doh:

Jon

• Like 1