Accurate Miniatures B-25 Mitchell II

G'Day All

Latest off the bench and Number 2 for the year is the old Accurate Miniatures 1/48 B-25C/D finished as an Mitchell II belonging to 320 SQN 2T.A.F.

This kit was an original AM boxing, and was not the easiest build.  A lot of filling and rescribing was needed along the fuselage top seam and around the carburettor intakes

I also managed to fudge the canopy at the final hurdle requiring a replacement to be faired in at the last minute (not too successfully!)

The model is not quite accurate in regard to all details, it should have a fixed .50 in the nose as well as the hand held gun, the bombsight should be a sperry, not the norden and I managed to add the wrong serial, but Im not fixing it now.

Paints are by Gunze and MRP with multiple layers of different hued O.D until I got the desired look.  The stripes were added using Mission Model Paints thinned with water, then scrubbed off the top surfaces.  Decals are by Eagle-Cals and machine gun barrels by master models. The staining and oil leaks were attained using   thinned oil paint 

A longer description  on the build is at my blog listed in my signature.

Definitely need a palette cleanser build next!

Thanks for looking

Bruce

FSreveal reveal 1 top turret overall reveal undersides noseart

• Like 63
  • Thanks 2

Nice work Bruce

Despite the issues you describe she’s turned out looking very nice indeed. 

One of these AM Mitchell’s is on my ‘kits I must build one day’ list so it’s good to see another one turn out so well. 

James

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Bruce

Despite the issues you describe she’s turned out looking very nice indeed. 

One of these AM Mitchell’s is on my ‘kits I must build one day’ list so it’s good to see another one turn out so well. 

James

Thanks for the kind comments people. James. I have heard the ones remoulded by Italeri may be a little crisper, if that helps . They may be slightly easier to find too 

Bruce 

3 minutes ago, pacificmustang said:

Thanks for the kind comments people. James. I have heard the ones remoulded by Italeri may be a little crisper, if that helps . They may be slightly easier to find too 

Bruce 

Thanks Bruce

I hadn’t heard that. I read in the Rumourmonger thread that Academy are due to release a PBJ version of this kit soon which I will probably add to the stash when available. 

James

• Like 1

Lovely build and finish Bruce - love the worn effect on the invasion stripes,

Cheers,

Roger 

• Thanks 1

The finish is fantastic- I particularly like the splotchy / speckled areas at the inner ends of the wings, they really look like the wear and ground-in dirt from heavy footed ground crew!  Great job.

Dave

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

The finish is fantastic- I particularly like the splotchy / speckled areas at the inner ends of the wings, they really look like the wear and ground-in dirt from heavy footed ground crew!  Great job.

Dave

Great to read Dave as that was the effect I was aiming for 

Bruce 

• Like 1

It certainly passes the 'it looks real' test!

The weathering, especially over the top of the fuselage looks, well real.

Fine work,

Michael

• Thanks 1

Absolutely gorgeous Mitchell, makes me want to return to building WW2 subjects. Any of the American twin engined bombers with D-DAY stripes do it for me. Just lovely! 

Martin

• Thanks 1