PK-460 1/48 Supermarine Spitfire Mk. VIII

I came across this kit and thought I had unearthed a hitherto unknown 'original' - alas, it's an Otaki then Arii reboxing by Matchbox - looks like a cracking kit though, just as others have said. I like this RAAF scheme on the box lid.

qJtwRHw.jpg?1

Here are all the parts - also a Western Desert scheme which would make a change to the other Spitfires I have built.

kglV8Cx.jpg

Detailed colour chart and the three options on the back of the Instructions.

3I2WC6A.jpg

Detailed breakdown of parts and colours on the inside and a slipper fuel tank is included as an option. There is a detailed IP, a gunsight, a rear view mirror but unfortunately, no seated pilot! I'm looking forward to building this one - maybe my painting will be a bit neater at this scale - need to get thin coats to avoid a lumpy look.

wtYa2Qv.jpg?1

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 9

On 06/05/2022 at 00:50, stever219 said:

@Ventora3300 Good start there, but before you get too far the radiator ducts should be in the local camouflage colour, not interior grey. green.

Thanks, and you are right - I've done a bit of research and even the Matchbox colour guide gives the inside of the radiators as 'sea grey', the inside of the wheel wells as 'aluminium' but the inside of the wheel covers as 'aircraft interior green'. This no doubt is how the parts were painted by Supermarine and the individual sub-suppliers.

Corrections duly made...

m8TDwj6.jpg

There was a minor drama when the canopy went missing from the box and the hunt was on to tear it from the grasp of the Loft Monster - I eventually found it at the bottom of the stairs!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ventora3300 said:

Thanks, and you are right - I've done a bit of research and even the Matchbox colour guide gives the inside of the radiators as 'sea grey', the inside of the wheel wells as 'aluminium' but the inside of the wheel covers as 'aircraft interior green'. This no doubt is how the parts were painted by Supermarine and the individual sub-suppliers.

Corrections duly made...

m8TDwj6.jpg

There was a minor drama when the canopy went missing from the box and the hunt was on to tear it from the grasp of the Loft Monster - I eventually found it at the bottom of the stairs!

Sometimes the research can raise more questions than it answers, Spitfire interior colours being a good example.  It depends on whether whoever did the research was looking at an unrestored aeroplane (or whatever) or one that's been overhauled/rebuilt/ restored/re-restored several times and whether that work had made reference to period references or someone just wanted an eye-cattching paint job.

I'm working on an Airfix 1/48th FR. XIVe at the moment and I could have sworn that the Carpet Monster had had the cockpit front bulkhead/firewall.  Went rummaging in the box for the painted and ready-to-assemble Frame 11 parts whilst waiting for the CM to puke the bulkhead back up and there, lurking, was the firewall.  Resistance was futile: it's now glued in!

• Like 1

Parts beginning to get assembled now, starting with the lower wing and the cockpit. The gunsight should actually be further along the bracket towards the pilot - found that out when I put the fuselage halves together.

FLjANh4.jpg

The fuselage halves went together beautifully, just taped together to let the cockpit set in place. The prop spinner base is ready to go in before gluing together. Wheels are on the undercarriage legs - scissors to the front or to the back? 

khwLfaz.jpg

A bit of final alignment of the gunsight required.

1xrwm2F.jpg

• Like 4

@Ventora3300 you’re making good progress there.  A quick web trawl suggests that your undercarriage torque links/scissors should be in the front of the leg on the Mk. VIII; they’re in that position on my Mk. XIV which is a derivative of the Mk. VIII so I suppose that makes a degree of sense.

• Thanks 1

Sea Grey going on the fuselage and wing tops now. The aim is to prevent overpaint onto the white spinner backplate after the fuselage is glued together.

LIUpPgq.jpg

And dark green.

29QHh3n.jpg

Wings assembled and fixed to fuselage - a very good fit indeed.

yvzsrE1.jpg

• Like 3

I really like the Otaki kits, they were state of the art when they came out and look really good built. Some of them, like the Spitfire, may not have been the last word in accuracy but there was a finesse about them.

The Spitfire in particular has a delicacy about it. 

John 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Spitfire Mk. VIII is moving along with white recognition bands on but dark green to finish. . I also had to drill out the holes for the four '303's in the wings. The standing figure and base is also being painted.

qMuybX0.jpg

• Like 1

Great stuff Mike

We have an extra 2 weeks extension to the GB so there should be plenty of time to finish this one

Which of course means you can build that Heyford you've always been promising yourself :wicked:

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The Spitfire Mk. VIII has moved on with all the parts assembled now and the Ground Crewman up on his feet.

CzIUNhA.jpg

I actually stuck the tailwheel doors in place with bluetac while painting - a good fit.

yU02GS1.jpg

All finished now with the transfers and newly delivered, awaiting the pilot.

40QKT8t.jpg

Undersides are very clean.

7j04R9Y.jpg?1

I used a Sharpie pen to get the lines on the spinner - needs a tidy up as expected. Black decal lines did not work as they would not conform to  the curve.

7s51thH.jpg

It is a lovely kit though - to be handled with white gloves.

iZhT4Du.jpg

A very enjoyable build all round.

MUtEow6.jpg

Many thanks to the hosts @Rabbit Leader and @JOCKNEY for sustained hosting and all the usual suspects in the BM Community for the support and encouragement. We done all on all the builds, finished or not.

Edited by Ventora3300
  • Like 3

On 03/06/2022 at 23:36, JOCKNEY said:

Great stuff Mike

We have an extra 2 weeks extension to the GB so there should be plenty of time to finish this one

Which of course means you can build that Heyford you've always been promising yourself :wicked:

Cheers Pat

No pressure then! It would probably take longer to find the Heyford in the loft that the GB has left to run!