1/350 HMS HECLA - 3D printed

After a week on complete inactivity while Mrs Chewbacca and I were away on holiday (14 deg and rain on a cruise to the Norwegian fjords while the rest of UK basked in 30 deg!), I spent a good proportion of the weekend after we got back playing catch up.

Main effort has been on the boats which are now almost all complete although I did knock the screens off when i was fitting one of the SMBs so they need to be replaced and looking at the photos made me realise that i have yet to add the gripes so that will get done this week.

52224271725_8a4f227177_b.jpg

52223780241_a0772cb751_b.jpg

Flight deck decals also added.  These were taken from the Atlantic Models Leander Class frigate set and were a little tricky to get lined up, especially the circle which was adamant it wanted to stretch in every direction other than where I wanted it go.  The astute amongst you will notice that the deck codes are spaced a little too far apart.  That's because although i lined up the bum line with the flight deck supports, it is about 2 mmm to far aft which means that the circle is also too far aft leaving insufficient toom for the deck codes.  But by the time I realised that it was too late so will have to live with it.

52223780316_9bdee4c917_b.jpg

Attention then also turned to the foremast which was completed and just waiting to be fitted.  Easy you might think?  Well it would be if it weren't for the bulwark that goes around the signal deck which is a complex shape of varying height and curved around the mast.  But we got there in the end, not before I'd knocked off the I-band nav radar while fitting the halyards though.  I think I need to move the starboard inner halyard though as the angle doesn't look right compared to the port side.

52223797993_05075c54f7_b.jpg

Annoyingly, while we were away someone was fiddling with my workbench (we had people coming in to feed our cats) and had moved a few things around.  In doing so they have managed to knock the Inmarsat aerial on the floor and I cannot find it so will have to 3D print a replacement.

So nearly there.  Main elements remaining are to:

• finish off the boats,
  • signal projectors,
  • flight deck and bridge roof guardrails
  • whip aerials
  • main roof aerials
  • a couple of small derricks
  • swimmer of the watch gear
  • bridge roof DF antenna
  • horizon bar
  • flight deck floodlights
  • glide path indicator
  • figures
  • and, if I get the time, finish drawing a Wasp helicopter in CAD, printing and adding that though I suspect that may be a step too far for this GB!

52223798048_22ff25db43_b.jpg

Thanks for watching

• Like 9

Just seen the extension in the GB Chat.  Wouldn't have got up so early every morning this week to try to get her finished if I'd known that!

However, I did and she very nearly is.

Just a few more whip aerials, and the final figures to go.  And of course that funny gantry on the foc's'le near the large survey crane that I still haven't worked out what it looks like.

52235642673_45ff2d0c91_b.jpg

52235911144_cfa41d3244_b.jpg

Mind you, a 2 week extension would mean I could get the Wasp added as well...

Oh, and in case anyone asks why is she flying the union flag at the gaff and not the White Ensign, apparently that was one of the "rules" surrounding being a hospital ship under the auspices of the ICRC as technically we were not a warship.

Thanks for watching

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

Oh, and in case anyone asks why is she flying the union flag at the gaff and not the White Ensign, apparently that was one of the "rules" surrounding being a hospital ship under the auspices of the ICRC as technically we were not a warship.

Gidday Chewy, I didn't know that, thanks for the info. Your model is looking very good. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

The model looks absolutely fantastic Chewie. 

The big white ship with red crosses really paints a picture or tells a story especially because you have it mounted on the sea base.

Pretty sure this is my favourite build despite all the nice Harriers and a few Pucaras in this GB.

• Thanks 1

Thanks both for your very kind comments.

Whip aerials and figures now added though I still have to add a touch of paint to the aerials themselves.  I did realise however that since the ship is supposed to be at flying stations, I have missed off the Flag Hotel ("I am operating helicopters") at the stbd outer yardarm.  I'll add that tomorrow.

52236337791_2f3e5ee343_b.jpg

52236337751_3f6e4e73a0_b.jpg

2 hours ago, arfa1983 said:

The big white ship with red crosses really paints a picture or tells a story especially because you have it mounted on the sea base.

Trust me, she was not that big.  HECLA was only 260 ft long and less than 3,000 tons.  Which might seem quite big, but that's 100 ft less than a Leander class frigate and in some of the Force 12s we faced between the Falklands and Montevideo she rolled like a pig and was seriously uncomfortable.  On more than one occasion we just had to head into the sea at about 2 kts and ride it out.  It was bad enough for the matelots, I hate to think was it like for the patients!

I always mount my ship models on a sea base on the basis that unless the ship is in dry dock (or you're a submariner), you never get to see a ship's underside.

Best rgds

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 6

So with the extension offered, I thought I would have a go at drawing a 1/350 scale Westland Wasp in CAD.  I'll know if it's worked in about 3 hours time when the print run finishes!  The £D render of what it should look like is below.  Yes, I know I've got to sort the nose out.  I couldn't get it to loft correctly between the two shapes but that'll be a tiny swipe of filler.  I've drawn the flotation gear clamshells as separate items though realised after I had sent it to print that I forgot to add the flot bottles.  That said, in this scale they're about 0.3 mm diameter!

52254083054_4b437b673e_o.png

I've also added the gantry near the survey crane, given it a final coat of Future to blend all of the superglue dots in (I can justify a slightly glossy finish as it rained constantly in the South Atlantic! and am now finishing off the trim for the base.  With a fair wind the next photo will be in RFI.

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 8

Thanks Charlie.  Pleased to report that the Wasp appears to have printed okay so it now just needs some UV to cure and I can start cleaning off the supports and have a proper look.

So here's the Wasp with a coat of primer.  Actually the second wasp but fortunately I printed some spares as I got too close to the first one with the primer and the paint went on so thick that it obliterated all of the detail 😒

52256949231_5274fb5aa2_b.jpg

• Like 6

I'm going to declare this finished.

Had a real faff with the decals for the Wasp.  Apart from the fact that some were less than 1 mm square, I don't have an ALPS printer so cannot print white, therefore the only way to print the ROYAL NAVY logo and the XT420 (which it is possible to just about read with an Optivisor on!) was to print it on white and print the background.  Should be simple, i have done that previously when I built Wilbur in 1/48.  But since then I've changed my colour printer and the background blue printed a completely different colour - much lighter.  But we got there in the end.  The red cross for the nose went pinging off in a beautiful ballistic trajectory across the room but fortunately I had a spare red cross from the boats that was just about the right size.  And I must have been mad to attempt to put the UHF aerials on - but got there in the end!

I'll do some better photos tomorrow with a decent camera rather than the phone for the gallery and maritime RFI.

52267314436_f558bfbbb0_b.jpg

52267314406_e54c478814_b.jpg

52267314491_e4fc4ddc01_b.jpg

52266343607_61461d46e5_b.jpg

• Like 6

Gidday @Chewbacca, congratulations on your completion. She looks terrific, superb detail. Very well done. When you see the figures on the flight deck it helps to show how small this ship must have seemed in the middle of an angry South Atlantic. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You'll recall that I commented a while ago that the flight deck code was too far apart because I put the "bum line" too far back which meant there wasn't enough space between the circle and the back end of the flight deck.  When I fitted the wasp, I realised that actually the bum line is in the right position.  The problem I think is that the deck circle - which was taken from the Atlantic Models generic 1/350 Leander class decal set, is actually too large.  What made me come to that conclusion was the fact that the Wasp undercarriage is too small for the circle; if it were the right size, all 4 wheels should sit on the circle which they clearly don't.  The Wasp is created from a CAD drawing which incorporated a scale drawing of a Wasp so I'm pretty certain that is right, therefore my conclusion is that the circle is too large.  There was a choice of 2 and my assumption was that the large one was for the Lynx and the smaller one for the Wasp, but looking at it now, the smaller one is more appropriate for a Lynx.

Completed photos in the gallery - I'll add some more to maritime RFI later on.

Edited by Chewbacca

• 11 months later...