Hawker Tempest Mk II - 1/48 - Special Hobby / Eduard

Hello,

This my latest build, made from the SH and the Eduard boxings. Why 2 kits ? Simply because I screwed up part of the first build and, because I never give up and like the type,  decided to carry on the build and bought another kit 😬

Pretty good kit, despite some minor inaccuracies with the engraving under the fuselage. I was not fond of the decals as colors are not always well aligned - especially for the stencils. I did peel off the varnish top layer on the decals to get that "painted on" look. This has to be done gently otherwise you might end up tearing off the paint as well. Color scheme is from the Pakistanese Air Force.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Calum said:

That's a stunner.  Is the engine out of the special hobby boxing?

Thank you Calum. Indeed, the engine comes from the SH boxing. It might not be the perfect rendition because I think that more depth is expected between cylinders but it does the trick and fits perfectly well.

On 5/2/2022 at 5:59 PM, Autle said:

Now that's a beauty, it looks really menacing. Well done.

I agree with the menacing part. To my eyes, the Mk II is one of the best looking fighter of WWII, along with the Ta-152. You can feel the power of the machine just by looking at it and this is emphasized here (at least I hope) by revealing the Centaurus engine beast.

Edited by toniosky
  • Like 1

On 5/1/2022 at 5:27 PM, toniosky said:

I did peel off the varnish top layer on the decals to get that "painted on" look.

I never heard of this before, sounds risky but it paid off. The decals do look good. As does the rest of the aircraft!

• Like 1

On 5/6/2022 at 6:42 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

I never heard of this before, sounds risky but it paid off. The decals do look good. As does the rest of the aircraft!

Thank you Bertie !

I found a thread discussing about this here on BM if you want to know a little more:

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Stunning!

Theres something very nice about the desert colours, big radial and the 4 bladed prop :)

Ben

Thanks Ben. I cannot agree more !

That's absolutely superb. I have one sat in the stash - and your build has made it jump to the front of the queue. Gorgeous finish on the paintwork.

• Like 1