1/72 Airfix Lightning F3 56 Squadron RAF

Lightning F3 XP719/D of 56 Squadron, RAF Lakenheath 1965.

20220430-182652-Copy.jpg

This one is the old Airfix F3.  I replaced the cable ducts with longer, fatter ones.   I shortened the tailplanes and added some card to represent the arrestor hook.  The decals are a mix of Xtradecal and Modeldecal who both make sheets for this scheme.  The IFR and Firestreaks were stolen from an MBox T55 kit.   I really botched the canopy  - it ended up pretty frosty.   Same wobbly freehand anti-dazzle panel as the T4!  

20220430-174947-Copy.jpg

20220430-182658-Copy.jpg

20220430-182708-Copy.jpg

20220430-182748-Copy.jpg

20220430-182831-Copy.jpg

David

• Like 34

• David Womby changed the title to 1/72 Airfix Lightning F3 56 Squadron RAF
49 minutes ago, Sumosan said:

Very nice, but no need to bother with the hook, only the F2A and F6 had them in RAF service.

spacer.png

Don't know if this was an original fit or added later but this F3 looks like it has one.  It's XR713 and pic is from https://www.eelightningsig.uk/f3-xr713.html

David

3 hours ago, David Womby said:

spacer.png

Don't know if this was an original fit or added later but this F3 looks like it has one.  It's XR713 and pic is from https://www.eelightningsig.uk/f3-xr713.html

David

I don't think that's a hook.  Probably part of the brake chute mechanism, maybe after deployment and not yet re-packed.  It was only the 2A and 6 that needed a hook because the brakes were not necessarily able to cope with the extra weight onlanding in the event of a chute failure.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Sumosan said:

I don't think that's a hook.  Probably part of the brake chute mechanism, maybe after deployment and not yet re-packed.  It was only the 2A and 6 that needed a hook because the brakes were not necessarily able to cope with the extra weight onlanding in the event of a chute failure.  

Well, whatever it is, that's what I tried to represent on my F3 and T4 🙂

David

11 hours ago, Sumosan said:

Lovely build David.

its part of the inter/reheat pipe bay drain system. 

The Brake chute release was at the top of the rear Fuselage just below the rudder. As for repacking it that was done away from the Aircraft, they were dried first other wise they froze at altitude. Fitted many chutes.

Edited by tweeky
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sumosan said:

You've done a great job on an old kit.  Love those Firebirds schemes.

Absolutely true!

• Thanks 1

That is a great result from an old kit. It is a fabulous scheme, one I will do at some point but there are so many others!

Ray

• Thanks 1