1/72 MatchBox/Airfix Lightning T4 23 Squadron RAF

Lightning T4 XM973/Z of 23 Squadron, RAF Valley August 20, 1965.

spacer.png

This is the MatchBox T55 kit cross-kitted with the wings and belly fuel tank from the old Airfix F3 kit.  The fin was cutdown to the earlier F1/F2/T4 shape, the cable ducting shortened and a nominal arrestor hook added.  Other than that, it's OOB.   The decals are a mix of Xtradecal and home made serials.  The aluminium paint gave me no end of trouble so I didn't dare mask over it - hence the somewhat wobbly edges to the freehand painted areas like the anti-dazzle panel.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

David

• Like 27

12 minutes ago, dambuster said:

Just like the photograph - great model!

Peter

Thanks for your help.  Since she was such a camera-shy bird, I couldn't  resist those markings.

David

Interesting definition of Out of the box. Parts from two kits, plus modified kit parts and then used after market decals. Whatever the definition, it still looks great. The true test of such effort is that after it's done, you can't see all that went into it,  and you can't. Nice work.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, gamevender said:

Interesting definition of Out of the box. Parts from two kits, plus modified kit parts and then used after market decals. Whatever the definition, it still looks great. The true test of such effort is that after it's done, you can't see all that went into it,  and you can't. Nice work.

Good point.  Maybe it should be referred  to as "Out Of the Boxes"?  😉

David