Mitsubishi FS T-2Kai

Creepy Pete

My next build will be the 1/72 FS T-2Kai from Platz. This was a special version of the T-2 trainer to support the F-1 fighter. The rear cockpit was filled with all kinds of electronics and had a cover under the canopy.

I've never build a Platz kit before, but it looks like a good kit, with plenty of detail. It kinda reminds me of a cross between Hasegawa and Eduard.

QiVQOMD.jpg

pTPUwSO.jpg

SIAzgFb.jpg

mYbOcRd.jpg

A few stencils are provided, along with a couple of different marking options.

JNlQ4ra.jpg

• Like 10

Welcome along Pete and with a great looking choice.

It's great to see a T2 here as we have a couple of F1's so now we have the family complete.

I had though this was a Hasegawa re-box, but it is their own release, it does look to be a very nice model, be interesting to see how it builds up.

Well good luck with the build, looking forward to seeing her in the gallery.

I've made some good progress on this one. The cockpit has decals, and for 1/72 I find them quite acceptable:

WY7Dukf.jpg

This was then sandwiched between the fuselage halves:

X1fsTeo.jpg

The intakes were then installed too. Oddly enough the one on the right didn't fit very well, leaving a gap. Some grinding and sanding was needed. The left one fitted with no trouble at all.

On the underside of the fuselage, some panels have to be glued in. Again a pretty good fit everywhere.

k8CZ5wN.jpg

Next up is the gun panel, and then the wings.

• Like 7

A good start on this one. I have just built the Platz F-1 for a different Gb and really enjoyed the build, apart from the decalling. Trying to find the decal on the instruction sheet and then on the decal sheet almost drove me to despair.

Wings and the tail got glued on. One weird thing about this kit is you have to cut slots in the plastic for the strakes under the fuselage, and for the pylons under the wings. You'd think just drilling some holes would be much easier and precise enough.

Another minor issue is the rear canopy. For this version you glue a cover inside the canopy, but this interferes with the rear cockpit frame. Some cutting here is required. Oh well.

O78JT9c.jpg

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I had to cut away some of the rear cockpit wall to make the rear canopy fit, but you won't be able to see that anyway, because of the cover under the canopy. After that the rest of the canopy was added, masked, and then the whole thing was sprayed first with black on the clear parts, and then primer on the whole thing.

kYvsTTO.jpg

I might start painting it tonight, or maybe tomorrow.

• Like 4

I started with spraying the orange bits on the tail, nose, and wing roots. Platz suggests Mr.Color 59 for this, but this didn't look right.

l58UN0X.jpg

Compared to the real thing, this is much too light orange, and not red enough.

RLd0pWb.jpg

I then looked up some Hasegawa instructions online, and they suggested a mix of 60% red and 40% of 59. I gave this a go, and it looks much better, even though most of it is masked of by now. I forgot to take a pic before masking.

Bmrorqe.jpg

After the masking is complete, I will spray the main color on.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

That's one good looking bird! 
That's an insane amount of stencils and film around them 😮

I see now that they are printed by Cartograph so they may not be your traditional thick Japanese decals?

On 30/05/2022 at 22:16, Creepy Pete said:

If you like lots of stencils, this is the kit for you! Actually, I quite like doing these, it just takes some effort to find the decals on the sheet, they are all over the place,

I can agrre with tha having built their F-1.

Yours looks very good and I like the Orange that you have painted.

Thanks guys!

@bianfuxia Yours is looking good too! As nice as this kit is, the Hasegawa one might be more fun to build. This one feels a bit over engineered.

@cpoud117 Yeah, Cartograf, so pretty thin. Didn't have any trouble with them, except one little silver dot that moved after putting it on and I didn't see it until after sealing it.

Got all the decals on the plane itself, and gave it a coat of VMS Satin, Now it's time for all the smaller bits.

XOLUPq7.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...