Norwegian F-86F, Fujimi 1/72

F-86F Sabre | Fujimi | 1/72
338th Squadron, Royal Norwegian Air Force, 1960's

FzOYLeQ.jpg

I finished this on 4/10/2022.  It was a build 30 years in the making.  I built a Heller F-86 with Norwegian markings in High School and it didn't live up to my expectations, mainly due to lack of ability, but also because I didn't have all the supplies available to me now.  As a kid the F-86 was my favorite 50's-60's jet and I always pictured it with a mirror finish.  So, when I envisioned a Norwegian Sabre build (in honor of my Norwegian heritage), I always pictured it as a mirror "airshow" finish.  I bought the decals in the 90's and bought many kits (5 in total) over the years, only to find out they didn't have the correct wing (I am indebted to @72modeler for telling me the exact kit to buy!).  The whole tale is in the WIP if you're really that interested in the saga. ;) 

The finish is Alclad polished aluminum.  Alclad's Airframe Aluminum is even more mirror-like, but it almost seemed unrealistic, so I went with the Polished Aluminum.  The key to a good reflective Alclad finish is ensuring that the plastic is scratch free and having a smooth, gloss black base coat.  I took extra care to make sure that any sanding I had to do (very little, thankfully) was done with fine sandpaper (about 1500 grit) and then polished with Micromesh down to about 6000 grit.  I used a Mr. Surfacer 1500 black primer, and then sanded that down to 6000 grit.  I finally used decanted Tamiya gloss black cut about 1 part Mr. Levelling Thinner to 3 parts paint and lightly dusted afterwards with straight Mr. Levelling thinner.  After the alclad was applied, a protective overcoat of Alclad's Aqua Gloss was hand brushed on.  Two more protective coats of Aqua Gloss went over the decals, applied with a hand brush.  The different shades of metal were achieved by masking panels, painting a couple passes of alclad, removing the masking and painting a few more passes of Alclad until the contrast was where I wanted it.  Since the Alclad is translucent, the dark undercoat shows through making the masked panels a little darker.

More details and pictures are in the WIP.

The kit didn't come with the correct drop tanks, so I had to swipe the ones from the original Heller build and fix them up.

Finally, I had to find a resin Martin Baker ejection seat since this airframe had one.

AtP9OjU.jpg

Mltm1ZT.jpg

KJPdJ7F.jpg

EpKcmN8.jpg

67fqNl7.jpg

V6g51GT.jpg

8YlJENl.jpg

dLRj6uW.jpg

9CUWqMF.jpg

And here it is with the kit that started the whole affair, way back when:

bTAKDXM.jpg

Here's the resin Martin Baker ejection seat:

ZGo4rTZ.jpg

AhlsWcJ.jpg

I hope you like it!  Comments, questions and constructive criticism always welcomed.

• Like 64

I like it. Especially the fin markings and general finish. There is something about 1950s NATO aircraft and markings and this one is a good example.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!  I'm glad you like it! :) Your kind words are just icing on the cake.  I've been dreaming of doing this build for so long it feels good to have it complete.  Even better that you like it! :D 

That is a stunning little Sabre! Lovely finish with your alclad.

I had exactly the same results with their Airframe Aluminium in it being too shiny & made my Lightning look way too toy like. Hope to at some point have another go at an aluminum finish aircraft. Really must try & build another F-86. This one in Norwegian markings is very nice indeed.

Martin

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2022 at 2:01 PM, SAT69 said:

That has to be the most beautiful Sabre model I've ever seen.

Wow.  Thank you -- I'm honored!

On 5/1/2022 at 3:55 PM, Lightningboy2000 said:

That is a stunning little Sabre! Lovely finish with your alclad.

I had exactly the same results with their Airframe Aluminium in it being too shiny & made my Lightning look way too toy like. Hope to at some point have another go at an aluminum finish aircraft. Really must try & build another F-86. This one in Norwegian markings is very nice indeed.

Martin

Toy-like... that's a good description.  I'm tempted to have a go with the airframe aluminum on a model to see if that's really true or not, but I don't want to waste a good kit... 

On 5/2/2022 at 4:03 AM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Very nice Luftforsvaret F-86!

Saluti

Giampiero

On 5/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, russ c said:

Great looking Sabre there, like the markings too. Really nice work

Thanks guys!

On 5/3/2022 at 11:04 AM, Pete in a shed said:

Lovely looking Sabre. Well worth the wait😀.

Pete

Thanks, Pete... It was worth the wait. ;) 

On 5/3/2022 at 11:56 PM, Pstryk said:

Fantastic build! Love that polished aluminium

On 5/4/2022 at 6:03 AM, Moggy said:

Fantastic! A true jewel of a beautiful aircraft.

The Norwegian colours and markings ara a grat bonus :)

Cheers, Moggy

On 5/5/2022 at 10:06 PM, exdraken said:

Very nice!

On 5/6/2022 at 10:04 AM, Bertie Psmith said:

Shiny Sabre! Beautifully applied finish. Well done.

Thank you guys!  I really appreciate it and I'm glad you like it! :) 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/9/2022 at 8:22 PM, kapam said:

Awesome bird!

The polished metal finish is perfect!

👏👏

On 5/9/2022 at 10:34 PM, Andy Dyck said:

Wonderful, and what for an outstanding NMF finish! It looks perfect! 

Andy 

On 5/9/2022 at 11:30 PM, Giampiero Piva said:

Nice, VERY NICE work.

Congrats

Giampiero

Thanks Guys!  That Alclad Polished Aluminum turns out really great when I'm really careful with the prep.