Blackburn Banana Jet

Practical but not pretty bits at the moment.  The plan is for the bomb bay to be removable so the battery for the lights can go in there.  So I have been building up plasticard strips to make locating points for the bomb bay to slot into from underneath.  That and adding some vacform style tabs to keep the fuselage halves in place

7PeO362.jpg

Other than that the cockpit is about ready to go in so near to closing the fuselage.

So the bomb bay inner lip has been extended at the front & removed at the back.  The internal bits should guide & it holds itself in place.  I was going to ask se magnets but there doesn’t seem to be any need

B4GvbiT.jpg

em0vAnj.jpg

Cockpit is about ready to fit

ZJTOx19.jpg

Rear seat inner glazing and bits in.  Bit more etch to go either side once the glue is dry

vkaBODT.jpg

Tail on too and new chrome pen to do the intake edges

RYQiqwB.jpg

Edited by bar side
  • Like 3

Cockpit now glued in & drying.  Will have a go at soldering up top & bottom wires before joining the fuselage halves 

Ay4XoOM.jpg

And another addition arrived today.  Very nice & delicate they look too

vYHEfvE.jpg

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Paulaero said:

Keep attacking, like the proper modelling. this kit does take some work but it is  worth it at the end

Like the ladders where are they from......

Keeping at it.  Soldered some solid wires on the the led very thin wires to make them easier to deal with and started joining the two fuselage halves.  Taking it in a couple of goes starting at the nose & working back.  Not going to be a perfect filler less fit but never expected that!

zQdhCQd.jpg

The ladders are from eBay, but I think the box says ThunderBox Decals.  Do like a good ladder with my jets

• Like 1

Got impatient and glued up the back end too.  Blending these in is going to be a challenge though!

026iR3Y.jpg

I was planning to power all the lights from one battery in the bomb bay.  However when I connect up a flashing led & non flashing led in parallel the on / off power demand for the flashing led causes the non flashing one to dim & brighten.  So going to wire then up separately to two batteries.  Or rather two lithium battery packs.  Just ordered them so will be a few days before I break out the soldering iron.  They will also be a lot lighter and less bulky

The body is glued but I will leave the tape on until the morning.  But test fit of the jet exhausts and intakes and a check of centre of gravity.  Glad I did check that as she is a big tail sitter.  But as the bomb bay is detachable I can get some lead in there.  Just need to make sure the lighter batteries don’t sit too far back.  Lots of bits are easy to go together.  The wins are just taped on

NhVFJSa.jpg

pTXMomZ.jpg

So she is starting to look like a whole jet now

• Like 4

I was trying to work out how much weight & where when I spotted a large nut in the garage that doesn’t have a bolt to go with it.  So in it went.  About 30g i think

VkGXE2I.jpg

Can always add more if needed as the bomb bay will be removable 

Looking at the jet exhausts, it would be great to paint the inner tube & fit it after the body paint.  And, again, without the bomb bay I can!  So outside casing is on & ready for filler to smooth the joins in

AA0HvmH.jpg

Dry fir of the intakes - I have seen worse!  Plan to paint the insides & chrome edge,tape that off & then fit them

Q5R0ZaI.jpg

I usually display them with FOD covers on, but they need to come off if the lights are on.  So card with a balsa strip on the back should do

uPWTAVM.jpg

I plan to add the strap across the middle and the top & bottom handles before a coat of red

HnccvO4.jpg

she is about ready for first pass with the filler and a go with the soldering iron to link up the wires.  I had a vague idea of not fixing the wings so they could be posed up or down but I am not sure it’s practical.  Anyway I don’t remember seeing RAF version folding that often…

• Like 2

Coming along nicely, I like the FOD covers.

I used to man the runway caravan at Greenham Common many years ago and saw an RAF Bucc pass someone at the holding point to get onto the runway by folding the wings. I have a photo of it somewhere, but I used slide film in those days and it would probably take several days going through the boxes in the loft to find it!

John

🇺🇦

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Coming along nicely, I like the FOD covers.

I used to man the runway caravan at Greenham Common many years ago and saw an RAF Bucc pass someone at the holding point to get onto the runway by folding the wings. I have a photo of it somewhere, but I used slide film in those days and it would probably take several days going through the boxes in the loft to find it!

John

🇺🇦

That must have been fun! Nearest I get to a runway is at the Lakenheath viewing area

gKfsnQx.jpg

• Like 1

Bit of black inside the intake & exhaust.  The exhaust will get a bit of gun metal and the intake side will go grey with the chrome edge at the front once they are tidy I will tape the FOD cover & chrome before attaching and sanding in the join.  And the main seams have P38 on them.  Will sand that back and if the results are ok just use liquid green to finish off

GWMED5S.jpg

Well painting the chrome over the black on the intakes has worked well.  The chrome pen is nice & shiny.  The plan is to mask off the fan blades at the base @nd the chrome to paint the inside light grey.  Then paint behind the intake & its back before attaching them.  I want to solder up the wires and then it will be time for primer

cWOy5bo.jpg

• Like 3

Got a primer coat on as well as painting the inside of the intakes.  Ts already showing some of the areas to tidy up.  That was the point really

xWBJoC6.jpg

• Like 2

Sand back & recoat on the seams, plus first wing is on.  I um”d and err’d with them.  Should I keep them disconnectable and posable up & down?  Ultimately the join isn’t good enough & needs a sand back and fill, so a solid join is needed.  

SQ9SwLx.jpg

Will let this one dry and then put on the other.  The intakes will get some dark grey behind them before they go on , then hopefully will be the last big bits to blend in.  And the fit doesn’t look too bad on them.  Planning to tape over the chrome and the FOD covers before fitting as well

• Like 1

Another sand back, another filler coat.  Wings this time

nm939Sv.jpg

Clean back, rescribe  some lost panel lines & prime again I think, plus paint the wheel wells.  Need to solder on the wing light wires too now they are all in the bomb bay

Quick shot with some friends

dnATpkc.jpg

• Like 3

Re primed and painted the final grey behind the intakes so they can be attached.  They are now on and need blending in.  While that has been happening I have been doing a bit on the wheels.  Once the intakes are done it might be paint time!

1EwkB7P.jpg

• Like 2

So quick coat of green stuff on the intakes and a sand back.  Must be all good!

g74cArl.jpg

Maybe not…

I think this may call for some more P38.  The join isn’t bad, but it’s not good either.  The nose seam looks better now.  I think it might disappear further under camo.

• Like 1

However I did solder up the lights.  Temporary solution to run them on 9v batteries.  Some twin ‘penny’ lithium battery packs are on the way to run them at 6v.

WUgTPe3.jpg

The port & starboard colours will go on later, as will the anti collision beacons

QzYwqGK.mp4

It’s got potential to look good in the HAS later

• Like 3

Looking good Ivan.

Weird question and not entirely serious either, but should the lights flash/strobe 48 times faster than on the real thing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2