Blackburn Banana Jet

When I started building 1/48 Cold War jets my aim was to make the ones I saw at early 80s airshows.  So generally that meant a lot of grey/green.  I think I have most of the main kits that are available now - Tornado, Phantom, Hawk, Hunter, Lightning, Jaguar, Canberra, Hercules.  But one was always a bit tricky to get hold of.  The Airfix Buccaneer.  I finally got one at a reasonable price and it has sat in the stash for a little while.  Chances were that Airfix would bring out a new one before I got to it!  Anyway I finished my Chipmunk recently and couldn’t resist the big grey/green beastie any longer.  And yes, to me they were RAF jets.  I never saw the Navy ones flying although I built a couple of 1/72 sea grey & white ones as a kid.  Anyway the kit

BqyLyOn.jpg

Not the newest.  The instructions talk about them being expected to retire in 94!  Nice recessed panel lines, but not sure they will line up!  My preference would be for a Honnington jet, but the kit decal options are ex-Honnington at Lossiemouth so I am sure that will do.  No large two letter tail codes though.

looked at the resin cockpit, but I have settled on an etch set.  Got it from Hannants today with a nice note!

lR1M3cD.jpg

Now I can’t just do OOB.  I considered powered wing fold but can’t see a good way to do it without making it look like a toy.  But I plan some working lights.  Plenty of room in that bomb bay for a battery.  Looks a good size next to a Phantom

r0xxJxY.jpg

• Like 10

An electrified Buccaneer Count me in I'll be right out of the way over here-------->:popcorn:Taking note and learning good stuff. In between handfuls of popcorn.

2 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

An electrified Buccaneer Count me in I'll be right out of the way over here-------->:popcorn:Taking note and learning good stuff. In between handfuls of popcorn.

Well I got a working motor and lights in a Chipmunk - this is huge by comparison!

4V7zzmA.jpg

• Like 1

So if I plan lights then I guess the next question is wing tips.  I had assumed mid 80s would be the original flared out tips.  It seems that by the time they reached Lossiemouth the new rounded tips were on.  The two decal options in the kit are XX900 or XW530.  Checking AB Pic it seems to support this way.  So unless i get the large tail code decals (used at Honnington?)  guess it’s round tips.  Makes fitting the lights easier to be honest.  Slipper tanks fitted too in this reference shot.  Nd airbrakes posed open.  Any idea if the flaps were self levelling?  Just wondering hat with the wing fold and all

1243127-large.jpg

• Like 4

So, lining up panel lines……

jAX9XyE.jpg

First two bits I glued together!

I do usually go for resin seats but these kit ones look ok

Rwt1BGP.jpg

I have some etch seat belts to jazz them up a bit.  But if the lights are on I will need at least one body in there.  The cockpit etch looks like a good way to to loose a few days.

First light fitted though

LPEirPU.jpg

Once I finally settle on the wing tips to fit I will gat those two in.  Still tempted to slightly lower the flaps but I am not sure if they would be down when on the ground.  I saw someone once spend ages lowering the flaps on a Canberra just to be told the were self levelling and never dropped on the ground

And playing around with the placement of the anti collision beacons.  I know they flash rather than strobe, but I can live with that

dcIshfb.mp4

The plan is tail, nose wheel and wing tip lights plus anti collisions.

• Like 4

I was looking at the wing ends and have gone for the post fix smaller tips.  Partly as these are easier to light up, and they would have been fitted by mid to late 80s.  Trouble is they moulded the clear part in the grey plastic.  So that had to come off & be replaced by some clear shaped sprue

PlBlQXP.jpg

So testing the light in the wing

pIaaC8u.jpg

The nose wheel light has been poked through and both anti collision beacons superglued on

5GswUR7.mp4

Test fitting it all together the wires all meet in the bomb bay.  You can see them all dangling out of the bottom

Egzqrsw.jpg

I got some paint on to the cockpit.  It seems airwaves suggest paint, then Airfix instrument decals, then etch.  So base coat of black on.  Need some grey for the tub inside & start looking at the instrument panels & other bits.  Can close up the banana body until that is all in.  Does the cockpit need a bit of internal light?

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Phone Phixer said:

Hi Rob - good to know that they could be parked with flaps down .  I can’t see the Facebook one but I guess that is group permissions.  The second one is a parked folded wings shot of XX899.  It’s going to be a whole lot easier to not drop the flaps, so will probably stick with that

As the only game in town, it's what you have to work with until the new kit comes along. Those vortex generators on the wing look way over size. Maybe taking a shave off one side could make them look better?

I need one but, think I'll wait.

Colin

Yes @heloman1 think those vortex generators are a bit high & a bit long.  Wouldn’t hurt to have a close encounter with some sandpaper.  Been waiting years for a new kit - Tanmodel, Airfix etc.  But like the Airfix Harrier GR3 and Jag the result looks the part.  

2 minutes ago, viper-30 said:

Very cool indeed , what electrical bits do you use please .

Thanks.  They are just micro leds and flashing ones from eBay.  They could be linked to a system like Arduino to turn them on or make them flash but I am just going to power them via a battery in the bomb bay

• Like 1

Are you aiming to get this finished before the new one becomes available? 
Good Luck.

John.  🇺🇦 

PS

I have attempted two Airfix ‘ ANAs  so far, one destroyed and the other given to a friend with more patience!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bar side said:

Thanks @Phone Phixer the inner section.  I think @Lord Riotcut these to pose them down on his but the pictures on that thread have gone

It was the Jaguar that I cut the flaps on, the Bucc I left as it was, though I’ll probably have them down if I do another one. It took quite a lot of work on the Jag though. Could do with new toolings of both these kits really.

C665-EEBB-3271-4408-90-BC-34-A37949-D32-

0-DAB3-BA1-786-F-4752-A8-C2-94-C0850-C5-

D0-EA4-D01-55-CE-4149-9-F1-D-68-C5358437

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Are you aiming to get this finished before the new one becomes available? 
Good Luck.

John.  🇺🇦 

PS

I have attempted two Airfix ‘ ANAs  so far, one destroyed and the other given to a friend with more patience!

Yes, tried to get my Italeri SR-71 done before the Revell one came out & failed by about a month.  So ahead of the game on this one!

7 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

It was the Jaguar that I cut the flaps on, the Bucc I left as it was, though I’ll probably have them down if I do another one. It took quite a lot of work on the Jag though. Could do with new toolings of both these kits really.

Ah, could have been.  I am sure someone cut the body side flap section away, but on a model that is already notoriously bendy I think that maybe be too much for it.  Plus reshaping the gap in the body would be tricky as the edge flares up the body side a bit.  No I think these will stay as they are

yes, KittyHawk looked to have tackled the Jag but that didn’t seem to quite work out.  Wouldn’t mund one of their twin seaters though.  And Tanmodel Bucc?  I think Airfix will probably beat them to it.  Still the old Airfix kits can be made to look decent.  Yours look the part

Edited by bar side
  • Thanks 1

Need to get on with the cockpit to get the body sealed up.  Since joining the body halves is generally seen as the biggest problem I want to take some time on that.plus can’t start joining up the wiring as there will be one light & one flashing light attached to both the top and bottom halves.

So gave the basic tub a coat of black before spraying over grey.  Tried to leave it light to get some shadow in there.  Decals next the etch over it.  I looked at the rear panel & couldn’t find a part to match.  Turns out it wasn’t fully injected.

2vr6Qgn.jpg

Will need building up but thankfully the surface detail will come from the etch set.

Quick spay of seat frames & tub

hLiXMyI.jpg

• Like 1

Filled up the missing bit of the rear instrument panel with plasticard.  Then built up the front.  The sections on either side are on mainly so I could get an idea of size.  The new bit needs a bit of shaping, but will be painted, decalled and then have etch on 

PuM3vhw.jpg

• Like 3

Time to get some bits in that cockpit.  First bit of etch in

igVIeN2.jpg

The rest are intended to go over the decals so dial faces show through.  So decals going on, then a quick clear coat before etch over the top

7ifsrHf.jpg

The rough looking top of the rear panel will be lost under the bar on the top body section.

Thinking about using magnets to make the bomb bay removable and work as a battery bay

03EqaMY.jpg

• Like 1

I know you are etching to see how this went (sorry, the puns don’t get any better!). More on the navigators panel

bOZ2UGc.jpg

Front end done

tDSUUo7.jpg

Main parts in & test fitting the far from finished seats

hiIDjxr.jpg

wkoKk4j.jpg

gGboY2W.jpg

Not that you can actually see much in there!

fnvOHnj.jpg

Bah, looks like links are down, I will redo them later

***- links sorted

Edited by bar side
  • Like 4

The etch has been painted over and had a quick wash over to pick the detail out a bit

GCCWsxZ.jpg

2qDAN86.jpg

The floor scratches are intentional.  I would have liked a bit more metal showing through for foot wear on the floor of the tub, but got more of the black base coat instead.  Looks ok for a detail that will rarely be seen

kPtjiVa.jpg

The seats have belts but are only basic colours at the moment 

EnH067x.jpg

• Like 3