A Sliver - Sorry Silver Spitfire - Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 22 - Now Done

As @JOCKNEY is building a Fujimi Griffon Spitfire, I thought I would try my hand again at the Airfix Spitfire 22.  Its been in a store box for some time and now Airfix are re-releasing it, I can crack open the kit.

So it will be the Silver RAuxAF version of 603 Sqn, City of Edinburgh.  I'll re-arrange those words to the correct SW format later!

20220430_092349

Start time on my Chinese Seagull 1963 watch is 09:25 start up.  What could go wrong?

Edited by Olmec Head
finished
  • Like 6

Time and Relative Dimension in Space  - Things are stuck together

There was an amount of annoying flash on the kit and I also forgot that Airfix Spitfire cockpits don't go together as easily as the instructions would have you believe.  That said, the new airfix 1/72 Spitfire Vc was an easier build.  I did not go mad on the cockpit as it will be a closed canopy and you cannot see anything at all really.  

20220430_115658

The fuselage is clamped together as the top joint is somewhat dodgy and will need filling, hence the plastic putty standing by.  I have put some 'collars' on the gun joints as that is a very weak part of this kit, it remains to be seen if this will work, I hope so.  

So the 1963 Chinese Air Force Watch says 1155 hours, which is a build elapse time of around 2 1/2 hours.  I'll now need to wait for the glue to harden and take it from there.

• Like 8

Day 2 - Time seems to compress!

As it is /was a Sunday, I started slightly later and cheated last night by putting on the wings and filling so gaps.  So the start time by my sort of Luftwaffe Navigator (German for navigator is?)  B model Uhren watch is 10 am as the church bell also just chimed.

20220501_100031

I sanded back the seams, the top seam is not a brilliant fit and I am not sure how it will stand up when painted.  I redid the fuel-tank detail and put in some fuel cap details.  These may well not show up when painted!  As the whole plane is silver finished, I have basically put it all together.  The undercarriage is a bit wonky and bit 'Airfixy', i.e the undercart lugs did not fit into the holes without considerable sanding.  The cannon fit might also be a bit wonky, but that is down to me in that instance.

20220501_121509

So at 12:15 hours, it looked like this.  A bit of time to dry and then airbrushing under-coat and then Silver.  Time is tightening.

• Like 5

Day Two Ends

I think it time to draw stumps early having go the single coat of silver on, I used Tamiya flat aluminium with some thinned silver/ grey mix.

20220501_135221

So Day Two was about 4 hours in total.  Day three should me markings, assembly and finish!

• Like 8

Start of Day 3 - Its like being the last person writing in an exam when everyone else has finished!

Other GB modellers have finished or have got the makings on already, I feel I am still on question 2 of a 3 hour exam.

So 9 ish am start (no time to write in 24 clock time) and a piggy smell from the nearby fields.  

20220502_090932

After about 1 hour plus or so the markings are on:

20220502_104602

Well most of them as life as we know is too short for stencils.  Airfix decals/ transfers are very good and bed down well with the Britmodeller Future and water mix.  

Next is to do the remaining bits and finish.

• Like 6

End of Day 3 - Now Finished.

Its not over when you think its over.  Despite a mounting catalogue of little errors that taxed my normal PLACID temperament, I did manage to finish.

20220502_161848

Thanks to the organisers for another quickfire Bank Holiday GB.

• Like 7

• Olmec Head changed the title to A Sliver - Sorry Silver Spitfire - Airfix 1/72 Spitfire 22 - Now Done