Top Gun 2 early screenings, extremely positive first reactions.

One 48

Well, even Mark Kermode (eminent British film critic) really liked the film, and admitted he went in with low expectations . I’m going to go again next week, and the more I think about it the more I prefer it to the original (despite not be a massive Hornet fan)

SD

Just got back from watching it.  Really enjoyed it.  Of course there were a few things that were not accurate/correct but not bad enough to trigger me.  Great film, back to the good old days of a film designed to be entertaining rather than preachy.  My wife thought it was great too and she has little interest in aircraft, war, military stuff.

Cheers,

Nigel

Home from a Sunday evening showing. Took Mrs T (who has no interest in wingy  things) and 16 year old son again with no real interest in aviation either. It got top marks from both and both highly rated it. I had a giggle on hearing Mrs T  walking through the house absent mindedly humming dum dum dum dumdi dumdi  dum dum - you know the tune

I thought it was a very good movie. I left my anorak me at home and just went out to enjoy myself and did immensely. If you go in that frame of mind you will have a good night out. 

• Like 1

Really enjoyed it!! Ok, so you need to forget reality, and although the 'enemy country' is unspecified, only one country outside the US flies the F14 - Iran....do they have any snowy mountains??? As for 'Darkstar' well, the SR72 is being built, how many other 'Skunk Works'  black projects exist? All in all thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

Saw it yesterday with my son and it is good escapism and the cockpit shots certainly provide a sense of speed and the forces involved in modern day combat.

As to the plot, well the script writers must’ve watched the Dambusters for the first time.....

Mike

On 6/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, Whitewolf said:

Really enjoyed it!! Ok, so you need to forget reality, and although the 'enemy country' is unspecified, only one country outside the US flies the F14 - Iran....do they have any snowy mountains??? As for 'Darkstar' well, the SR72 is being built, how many other 'Skunk Works'  black projects exist? All in all thoroughly enjoyed it!!!

LockMart employees actually designed and "built" the Darkstar, and LM has a page on their site dedicated to it: https://lockheedmartin.com/topgun

Edited by RaceAddict
Typo

Great film really enjoyed it and my wife who hates "man films" loved it as well, leave the anorak at home, sit back and enjoy.

Cheers

Dennis

Whent last night with my family. They all loved it from the beginning to the end.  Good story, good character development excellent flying and NO super heroes or anyone out for revenge . Going to give it another viewing soon .

On 5/27/2022 at 7:50 AM, upnorth said:

How they worked Val Kilmer and his recent health problems into it in his "Iceman" role was very well handled and quite respectful to both the actor and his character.

I have just found this...

I went earlier today with Mrs H, who wasn't bored so she says, and she said it was pretty good.

We saw it at the local IMAX (Empire, Rubery) in 2D, and let's say I thought it was great!

All the fact stuff, including the romance bits didn't detract from the film itself, or the planes, or the music - best use of Won't get fooled again in a film I've seen.🤣

and I 've seen a fair few with it in. (Okay, concert films, but it fitted in Top Gun)

Overall, the film was for me a 10/10 job. I suspended reality, let it just roll along, and the subtle references to the original film weren't overdone. 

I don't know how many flight scenes were CGI, but frankly I didn't care.

One thing though, is it right that it was Tom Cruise who flew the mustang in the end sequence? And is it right that he does fly one the jets in the film?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Whofan said:

I don't know how many flight scenes were CGI, but frankly I didn't care.

One thing though, is it right that it was Tom Cruise who flew the mustang in the end sequence? And is it right that he does fly one the jets in the film?

1) None of the flight scenes were CGI, per se. The visual of the Tomcat and Felons were CGI, yes... but from what I understand they were actually just graphic skins laid over F-18s doing real flying. Some cinematic trickery was used in a few places to make things more dynamic. For example, the scene where Mav climbs up from the deck and blasts between the two other jets that were looking for him... this was done by superimposing two different shots over each other.

2) The Mustang is apparently his own plane, so the flying is indeed him. I don't believe he flew any Navy jets though... I haven't heard it, and honestly cannot see the Navy permitting that. They gave him a lot, more than any other movie persona has never gotten.... but not that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw it with Mrs B tonight and we both really enjoyed it. Very impressive flying , a nice balance of humour and action, touching scene with Val Kilmer, and Jennifer Connelly… I find myself wondering if there was a book or movie with a “fly down a narrow valley lined with AA, execute an almost impossible manoeuvre, drop a weapon into a tiny target that gives access to a fatal design flaw and blow up a huge enemy installation” plot before 633 Squadron? The Dambusters might be an inspiration, but I think that possibly the. Highball attacks on the Tirpitz are slightly closer to a Trench Run. Did like the fact the last Enemy TIE fighter was zapped by HANgman after all seemed lost. Oh, and did I mention Jennifer Connelly? And her Porsche… 😜

best,

M.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cmatthewbacon said:

I find myself wondering if there was a book or movie with a “fly down a narrow valley lined with AA, execute an almost impossible manoeuvre, drop a weapon into a tiny target that gives access to a fatal design flaw and blow up a huge enemy installation”

Ummm, Star Wars ... a new hope?

I seem to remember a scenario sounding like that in it 😗

Glad you enjoyed it though, I certainly did!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Whofan said:

Ummm, Star Wars ... a new hope?

....my point is that Star Wars and TG Maverick clearly have the same inspiration in 633 Squadron, but was there something that inspired 633 Squadron, or did the writers of that film basically invent that aviation plot?

best,

M.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

1) None of the flight scenes were CGI, per se.

Oh, that's good. Thanks for the explanation about the use of CGI in the film,

48 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

the scene where Mav climbs up from the deck and blasts between the two other jets that were looking for him...

Was that the one that was called the cobra stunt at one point?

50 minutes ago, RaceAddict said:

The Mustang is apparently his own plane, so the flying is indeed him. I don't believe he flew any Navy jets though... I haven't heard it, and honestly cannot see the Navy permitting that.

I wonder if anyone will produce decals for the plane? if they haven't already, that is. And in a way I am disappointed for Tom Cruise if the navy wouldn;t let him fly one of teir jets - no matter how much they gave him 😉

11 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

....my point is that Star Wars and TG Maverick clearly have the same inspiration in 633 Squadron, but was there something that inspired 633 Squadron, or did the writers of that film basically invent that aviation plot?

best,

M.

I guess 633 Squadron was made at a time when WW2 was still fresh in the minds - there were an awful lot of WW2 related films, TV and literature back then.

Mosquitos were used on similar attacks in real life, the French prison and the Gestapo HQ in Denmark.  The Danish one went horribly wrong, so would have been glossed over in those times but there is a very good recent Danish language film - worth seeing but it will leave you feeling very low at the end.

• Like 3

Whilst the actors (including Tom) didn’t fly the navy jets, they were in them, as back seaters, and had to do some of the camera operation themselves!  As well as act while  someone else flew them very fast and low…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nheather said:

I guess 633 Squadron was made at a time when WW2 was still fresh in the minds - there were an awful lot of WW2 related films, TV and literature back then.

Mosquitos were used on similar attacks in real life, the French prison and the Gestapo HQ in Denmark.  The Danish one went horribly wrong, so would have been glossed over in those times but there is a very good recent Danish language film - worth seeing but it will leave you feeling very low at the end.

I believe George Lucas was inspired by The Bridges at Toko Ri when filming the Death Star attack.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Whofan said:

Was that the one that was called the cobra stunt at one point?

The Cobra manouevre involves pulling the nose of the aircraft up sharply to a high angle of attack, essentially using the whole airframe as an airbrake to dramatically reduce airspeed, causing a trailing aircraft to overtake, once the foe has gone past, the pilot then lets the nose drop again and resumes forward flight hopefully the positions have changed and the chaser becomes the chased, see visual on link below:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SAAB_35_Draken_performing_the_Cobra_maneuver.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1